difficult child starting medications

wantpeace

I finally got my difficult child in for his appointment with the psychologist today. During the inpatient program he recently attended, the psychologist saw signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and social anxiety. This psychologist agreed and started him on Zoloft. While trying to get to the root of his problems, difficult child said he never really fit in and things got worse in middle school. He said he was so bored with school because it was too easy for him. He also said he couldn't relate to other kids because he was such a deep thinker.

He really was one of those gifted kids that kept to himself and never demanded any attention. I remember his 4th grade teacher telling me that difficult child had read 6 chapter books during his free time within the first few weeks of school.

What really shocked me was the amount of research difficult child put into drugs. He said he found it fascinating. All that intelligence wasted on something that can only hurt you! How can smart kids be so dumb?? I will say I am thankful that difficult child is being cooperative and staying drug free for the time being. He will also be seeing a counselor that specializes in anxiety and substance abuse. It'll take 4-6 weeks for the benefits of the Zoloft to take full effect. The doctor was careful about not giving him anything that could easily be abused. So I guess time will tell...

Nancy

I'm glad the doctor is being careful about abuse potential. Felling like they don't fit in is so common with substance abuse. They use chemical substances to make them feel more comfortable and accepted. I hope the zoloft does what it needs to do for him.

Nancy

It sounds like you are being very proactive and you are willing to do whatever it takes to help your son. I am really glad that you found a counselor for your difficult child, and I hope that the medication will help him. It is wonderful that your difficult child is not using drugs now and that he is being cooperative. We all like to hear good news like that for the kids on this board!

I never got a chance to reply to your update about court, and it is such good news that your difficult child will only get probation. Let's hope that this is the start of a brand new life for your son.

HUGS...