difficult child turns 18 tomorrow

Marguerite

Steely, if he's pulling a stunt like this, it is a GOOD thing. They won't let harm come to him - but he WILL be feeling the effects. He will be getting a very quick and personal lesson in natural consequences. He has made his own choice - he is perhaps trying to make others feel bad and to step in and take responsibility away from him - but from what you've told us, this is going to backfire on him FAST. And that means he is going to learn this lesson NOW, and not maybe at some later stage after he played ball in order to get out of this place sooner.

What I'm saying - he's got to come out the other side if he is going to be able to grow from this and truly move on.

So stay strong, from your other posts and the exciting things you are doing to challenge yourself, it sounds like you are on a good track.

It has been a bad year for you and your son. It's only natural for there to be considerable emotional turmoil. But the year is behind you now. You are still going to need to be gentle with yourself for some time, but from here, it should eventually begin to get easier, each day.

Legally he is a man now. I am very glad you got to talk to him - I think that was good for both of you. I do think that the future does hold good things for both of you. It's just difficult to see it sometimes.

Marg