difficult child wants pink streaks in her hair!

F

flutterbee

Wanting pink streaks in hair does not equal criminal. She's not Barbie-ish either. She's a 12 year old little girl who wants to do something fun. She finally wants to do something that is unique among her circle of friends rather than being a sheep and following the crowd. My difficult child is so open to suggestion. When we bought school clothes she picked out all skirts. I tried to get her interested in other things, knowing what would happen on the first day of school, but she wouldn't have it. She went through such efforts picking out her outfit on the first day of school and looked so sweet. But all the other girls were wearing jeans. difficult child didn't wear the skirts again. We just recently gave them to Goodwill, some only worn once. That she is wanting to do something on her own, as in her own idea, is huge. If I have to pay $120 to do that, I am more than happy to do so.

She sounds very much like Copper...a trendsetter!

Copper went through most of highschool wearing 2 different socks. Sometimes, one went to the knee and one only just past the ankle. Even when wearing shorts or a skirt.
By senior year, many girls had followed suit. And of course, she had the purple PURPLE hair.

Right now, Tink can't WAIT till she is old enough to get pink in her hair.

I still say you will be the coolest mom in the neighborhood.

K

Kjs

I was very strict with easy child. No peircings, tattoos or hair color. not even highlights. Well, the day he turned 18 he got his ear peirced. Our neighbor is a beautician and he went there to have his hair done. PINK. She bleached it first (it is brown) then dyed it. She asked him if his mother knew he was doing it and he told her yes. He went from pink, to blue in high school. Prom picture, blue hair. Then off to college where he came home with his tongue peirced, chin peirced and Bald. i mean Razor bald. He then went to long ponytail hair for about a year. Now he is normal crew cut type. He let his chin peircing close, still has the tongue.
I will not allow difficult child any hair colors either. Or peircing. Just cannot see such beautiful hair being colored. difficult child has done the kool aid thing and washable colors. They don't show up very good because his hair is very dark.
You are a cool mom. I would not trust a chain salon. I would talk to your mom and maybe do it yourself.

mom_in_training

Just chiming in here, Geeze, I don't know what my difficult child did with the stuff that she had from a couple years ago to tell you the name of it but it was like a pink cream that she put in her hair to get pink streaks. I think she got it at Hot Topic or one of those stores in the mall that sells piercing things and off the wall things for the punker look or whatever. You might want to consider something like that rather then doing something more permanant. She could get a variety of colors that she can just wash out when she wants to change her color. I knew someone at my sons school that had a daughter that had red white and blue spikey hair, And I do mean the white part was white, It was pretty wild. My first thought when I saw red white and blue for the very first time was "This child is out of control, Poor Mom"
Lol!! But when I see a teen with subtle color streaks adoring their head I don't think that at all. The red white and blue thing was just way toooooo out there.

Sue C

Melissa recently bought "nuclear red" hair dye at Hot Topic. It fades after several washes. I just looked at the bottle. It is called "Special Effects." It says "semi-permanent intense hair color." I would check at Hot Topic. by the way, she only used about 1/4 of the bottle to cover all her hair; so if you do buy pink, I wouldn't think you would have to use that much to just put in streaks. Then as it fades, you can make them pink again. Then by the time school starts again, maybe she'll be tired of pink and it will fade all the way out. :smile:

Good luck,
Sue