difficult child wants pink streaks in her hair!

F

flutterbee

OK. I don't think it's a big deal. I actually think it would be kind of fun. I mean, she's 12. Once you're an adult you don't get away with these things.

She has light brown hair and wants to lighten to a dark blonde. Again, not a biggie. She was a blondie as a little one. I think it would look really good on her. Then she wants pink streaks. Makes me giggle. Until recently, difficult child really wasn't interested in fashion or personal appearance. It's nice to see some growing up in that department. She even took a shower last night WITHOUT ME PROMPTING!!!

My mother used to do hair and she does all of our hair now. I've never had to pay for having my hair done. Thank God. I color my hair and I don't know how all of you that have to pay can afford to maintain that. I guess if I had to, I would work it into my budget. A bit spoiled in that regard, I guess.

However, Mom is balking at coloring difficult child's hair to blonde. She did do something that was supposed to lighten it, after difficult child wore her down (she is persistent, my girl), but it really didn't do much. So, I know she's not going to do the pink streaks. So, here's my question. What kind of salon should I look for and how much should I expect to pay? Most of our local salons are chain salons. Should I trust them to do this sort of style or should I travel to the better salons?

Thanks for the input!

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #3333FF"> do either of you know anyone who has this done already that you can ask. from what i understand a lot of the kids have their friends do the bright colors for them.

good luck. you do know you're about to become the coolest mom on the block, right?!?

kris
</span> </span> </span>

:rofl:

Kris is not kidding. You ARE about to be the coolest mom in town!

A long time ago, I did Copper's hair in purple streaks, but it was an intense process. I had to completely bleach her hair to white where I wanted the purple to go, then dye it. This was royal purple dye.

I know they sell hot pink dye in the store, and the steps are not as intense. Perhaps this is something you could do? Otherwise, I would call around the shops, and use your instincts. If they answer all "uh, um, yeah", then don't go there, LOL!

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #000099"> there are both short term dyes as well as regular ones. for the color to take well you do have to strip the color out. if you have a sally's near you they can either talk you through the process or maybe recommend the best salon for doing this type of work.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

bby31288

I let my 12 yr old dye her hair purple. Well it was more like that maroon color. I guess I am saying its only hair, eventually it will wash out enough or grow out after trims. difficult child has her nose pierced. She wanted her eyebrow. We compromised on the nose with a little stud. She loves it, it looks cute. When she is ready to take it out, the hole closes. Now heres to hoping she doesn't want to get one of those hole strechers. LOL

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Could you go with some pink hair extensions? I'm a stick in the mud so coloring hair at 12 seems young to me, but this is a different generation....

Thought if you could get something pink without dye it would be better for her hair.

everywoman

easy child daughter did the same thing when she was twelve. It took a while to "wear" out, and she had to bleach the pieces blonde for the dye to take. She had a professional do it for her.

difficult child died his pink the same summer---at church in the bathroom with some older difficult child's. I had to completely bleach his hair platinum and cut it short to get the pink out of his chestnut colored hair.

stepmonster

I would suggest tweaking it a little. If you do the underside of her hair pink, like from the ears down. I've seen it done on blondes and it looks fantastic! It's also easier to deal with roots and when she wants to change it or grow it out. It also looks very cool in a pony tail.

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm an old stick in the mud, too, and really don't like the look. However, if she is bound and determined I would make her save up the money and pay for it herself. She might decide it wasn't worth it.

Here in Atlanta, there is a salon called Toni and Guy that specializes in that kind of thing. I don't know if they are a chain. I do know that difficult child had her hair colored there and it cost her around $120. She paid for it herself.

Good luck. I hope it's just a phase.

~Kathy

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
$120 for pink hair???? Okay, I'm past it now......like wayyyyyyyy past it. I can think of many other things I would pay $120 for, but then again I am wayyyyyyy past 12 years old....

F

flutterbee

Thanks everyone. I definitely do not trust my skills in this department enough to do it myself.

Like I said, coloring her hair is just not an issue for me.

Kathy813

Staff member
Yes, $120 for coloring her hair. It is a very chic salon that specializes in an edgy look. difficult child had chunks of color put in and thought that she looked fantastic.

I thought it looked like someone had totally messed up a dye job.

I thought her worst look, though, was her bleached blonde phase. She normally has medium brown hair. At least, I think that is her natural hair color. I haven't seen her hair in its natural state since she was 13. Luckily, the blonde phase didn't last too long.

~Kathy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's never been an issue with me either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once you're an adult you don't get away with these things.
</div></div>

Someone forgot to tell 23 yr old Melissa this one. :rofl: Not too long ago she put bright red streaks into Nichole and her hair. Nichole's also had purple streaks.

But be warned, those ones that are supposed to wash out easily rarely do. The one the girls used this last time was one like that and both girls had to re-dye their hair another color to get rid of it.

120.00 bucks for streaks???? :smile: :faint:

Martie

I would "do it yourself" if I were you.

Sally's is the place to go for ths stuff. I dyed ex-difficult child's hair bright red and that was hard because he's Korean. I also dyed his blonde female friend's hair blue (with her mother's permission) and then changed it back when she got tired of it.

IT DOES NOT WASH OUT. I over-dyed ex-difficult child's dark brown before he went to EGBS because he was afraid they would buzz cut it if he left it red :rolf: -funny now, it wasn't then.

I ALWAYS think, "it's just hair...." and I'm way older tan most of you. I think if you participate in this stuff when they are 12 to 14, they won't want to do it when they are older. I could be wrong, but it worked twice for me: with a boy and a girl, difficult child and (mostly)easy child.

Martie

DammitJanet

We didnt actually dye Corys hair rainbow colors but I did streak his hair when he was a teen. He had that mop of hair on top with it fairly short on the sides and we pulled it thru a cap and stripped it and dyed it very light blonde...about platinum. He had dark brown hair and this really stood out.

He got some comb thru gel stuff in hot blue one time that you could make streaks in your hair but it pretty much washed out every shampoo.

I would do it yourself with Sally's help. They have everything.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I have a couple of cousins who used to dye their hair different colors alot when they were teens. They had blond hair to begin with which made it easier but they always did it themselves. However, they always used Kook-aid but I don't know the exact "recipe" for it. You might want to see if you can find a procedure for this (I think it was 2-3 packs of Kool-aid in a smallish amount of water but I'm not sure) and then try it out to see if she likes it or not. It washed out fairly quickly so if she decides she doesn't like the look, she can just wash it out. For streaks though you may need to get one of those frosting caps that have the holes to pull the hair through.

F

flutterbee

My former sister in law used to dye her hair with Kool-aid. She had beautiful jet black hair and she completely ruined it by all of the do-it-yourself dye jobs. She was always changing colors, though. I would rather spend the money and have someone do it that knows what they are doing than ruin difficult child's hair. difficult child has the thickest hair anyway - you put your fingers in her hair and they just keep going. Any kind of hair treatment on that much hair isn't going to be easy.

Nancy

My difficult child went through this phase too. We started out highlighting it, then she went all blonde and we did it at home with professional hair dye, but it had to be redone every month because of roots. And she kept going lighter. Finally her hair turned green and I had to take her to get it professionally done. At one time she did have pink streaks in but they faded out very quickly and turned orange. She is not back to highlighting and theyaowrks well since it looks more natural.

Pink streaks by themselves would be easy but if she is going to color it first and then do sreaks consider what she will do when the roots grow out. That's one reason I encouraged her to do the streaks without coloring it because they can always be redone.
It would cost about $120-$150 here to get that done.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
The salon where difficult child paid $120 to get her hair colored was also the one where the Barbie bandits went after they robbed the bank. I guess they wanted to get it done right.

~Kathy