difficult child was put in ISS again today!

TerryJ2

He forgot his homework schedule/folder. Aaargh! The prinicipal called me. She was very nice about it.

I dropped off the folder around 11 because I wanted his weekly papers and wanted everything in one place.

And then I forgot I had to pick him up in carpool at 2:30, because he's not allowed to go to the afterschool program and socialize. Grr. I was in the middle of painting at a client's house. I took my sweet time, left 3 msgs for easy child to pick him up, since she's in the same bldg, and finally got him.

Sort of. The front desk person told me easy child had picked him up, but I wandered around the bldg, wondering where she was, because her car was in the pkng lot.

Turns out her boyfriend took both of them home.

Arrrgh.

easy child and boyfriend are going out tonight and decided where they were going was close to school, so they'd save gas and leave the car there.

Do you ever feel like you live at school? Maybe I should just pitch a tent in the hallway or something. :sick:

missyk33

I feel for you. I was thinking this morning as I was walking into the school this morning that it was a shame that the people in the office actually knew my name and who I am there for. I have made so many trips to the office this year it is not even funny.

Whats even worse is when 911 knows your name and as soon as you call they say whats she doing now Melissa

klmno

Did they put him in ISS for forgetting something?? Did his testing reveal that he has memory issues?

Jena

Terry

Im sorry i know it can be aggrivating and it can truly seem like you should pitch the tent or at least be employed by the school!!!

So, they put him in there because he forgot something?? You paint? i didn't know that, that's very cool.

((((hugs)))hope your nite is more peaceful

Steely

Hugs Terry.

I still live exactly one block from the local elementary school where difficult child attended. I drive by it every day, and every day, I shudder. Perhaps I should move.:sick:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Terry, I remember those ugly days.....still have them on a semi regular basis.

I learned real fast to watch caller ID & if the school had already called more than twice (once for each tweedle) I let it go to voice mail; I'd choose to respond or not based on the message. School got one phone call a day & everything had to be in that one phone call.

After a certain point, I wasn't what you'd call a "cooperative" parent when it came to communications, yet I felt I was doing the teachers a favor & saving them phone time. More time to teach, my dears. :916blusher::slap: That's a good thing. :woohoo:

trinityroyal

Oh Terry, I remember those years well
I think my difficult child spent more time in ISS than he did in class.

And yes, when the office staff knows you by name, knows all about your personal life because difficult child spends so much time in the office that he's filled them all in...it's time to pitch a tent in the hallway.

tbone

tough luv is tough
:sad-very:If I did not know better I would think you were talking about me and my son. I grew up in a very small town {barely 3,000 people} and everyone knows your business. It makes it so hard when you try to do any and everthing for your child and nothing seems to work.The school and parents got so fed up with my son's behavior they had no choice but to attempt to put in in an alternative school in another town. My son would show up at school so out of it from drugs the teachers were actually afraid of him as I was. He also stayed more in ISS than in regular school. It did not bother him one bit to cuss a teacher in the middle of class. I do not know if you have read my original post/hope you do,but I have come to the sad fact that over the last 2 years my son's behavior has escalated into a situation I have no control over anymore and it is time to let go.

Andy

I did live at school last year. difficult child refused to stay at school unless I was in the building. I started sitting with him in class until he could not handle it and I had to take him home. Then I would sit just outside the classroom door where he can barely see me. Then I went to just being in the building (worked on Sunday School projects). The psychiatric hospital SW tried to scold me about it but I told her we did not know what was going on. There were so many physical complaints, what if it was seizures, cancer, some illness, whatever? I was afraid. This was nothing we had ever experienced before. If I knew it was anxiety, I may have tried harder to encourage him.

As Sunday School Superintendent, I have keys to the school wing. It is going to be so strange handing over those keys at the end of this year. I hate having a locked door between my child and myself. I will not be living at that school anymore and I doubt the public school will give me keys to have in the event difficult child leaves homework at school? LOL

This year I still go to school early most days. Every other day when I help with the 2nd graders, I stay and work on Sunday School stuff.

TerryJ2

Whats even worse is when 911 knows your name and as soon as you call they say whats she doing now Melissa

Too funny! (Sad but true.)

I don't know if the tests showed memory problems but I highly doubt it. It's part of the ADHD, and mostly, habits and motivation. He has no problem remember his friends' ph #s, and where I hid the computer mouse. :)

We're on our way to his birthday party. I hope he doesn't melt down later on ... it's only 10 kids, playing laser tag for 1 hr. His bmom, bgrandmother, and 1/2 brother will be there.

klmno

I'm sorry you are going thru this- didn't they do nueropsych testing and give you a copy of the results?

TerryJ2

:mad:Yes, and no. I'm still waiting for a copy of the results. We met with-the dr 2 wks ago and he talked really fast and we were in and out in 45 min.
I called Thurs. and said we needed the results mailed to us, and faxed to 2 other doctors pronto, and the receptionist said she'd get on it within the hr.
Nothing in the mailbox today ...:angry-very:

klmno

How frustrating!! When difficult child had his neuropsychologist testing done a couple of years ago, it was done at a private psychologist's office so I didn't have any problem getting results- it just took her a long time to do the report and have it ready.

But when I had his MDE done last year, it was at the teaching hospital and it took forever to get that report. I called a million times over several weeks, and that was because I hadn't heard anything from them 2 mos after the evaluation was done. Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the evaluation and the report, but I was sure frustrated trying to get the written report in hand. It sounds like you might need to just start nagging them every day until they get you yours....sorry...

F

flutterbee

I'm sorry, but I think ISS for forgetting his folder is dumb. I can't remember if he has an IEP. Are there any plans in place to help him with organization? Do they give him reminders?

I'm sorry about the PTSD from the school phone calls. I actually didn't really have that until this year because the school just wouldn't call me. Wynter would go to the office feeling sick (anxiety) and they would just send her back to class. When she was in kindergarten, she went every day and they let her lie down and then go back to class. I didn't even know this was going on - on a daily basis - until almost the end of the school year. And it continued every year and every year, I was in the dark. They never told me. I guess because then they would have to admit there was a problem that wasn't me. This year, however, the school is calling me every day - several times a day. And she's not even in a brick and mortar school. Sigh. I answer once a day and let the rest go to voicemail and then decide how to respond. The problem is that none of her teachers are communicating with each other, so I've started sending group emails instead of repeating myself a half dozen times.

TerryJ2

Heather, sending group emails is a good idea. It makes sure that everyone is on the same page. (Literally!)

I don't have PTSD, just an OMG, not again resignation.

It's a good idea to put him in ISS for the folder because nothing, nothing, nothing else has worked. He had given up to the is point, and we needed to figuratively grab him by the throat and get him to pay attention. He has to do his homework, turn it in, do his classwork, turn it in, have his folder checked every day by the teacher, and every night by me or his dad. Pretty basic stuff. He was doing it at the beginning of the yr with-o any problem. But if you give him an inch ... you know how that goes.

We'll see how it goes today.

(P.S. I can't believe your daughter was having to lie down every day in kindergarten and you didn't find out until almost the end of the yr. Sheesh.)