difficult child Was Taken To The Hospital

Winnielg

It is almost like your difficult child and mine are the same person. I do not know about you but we have never gone back on a consequence dished out for a behavior, yet difficult child always thinks that somehow his threats, arguing or intimidation will yield him his desired result.

Obviously you know that none of this is your fault, you did not make him brandish the knife..... So sorry you are going thru his already. The love card is so incredibly frustrating and annoying. Sigh

buddy

That kind of circular argument is very familiar. You've said many times he won't cooperate with further evaluations. And you know you likely don't have the big picture.

When kids don't get cause and effect a visual time line can help. There are lots of ways to do that depending on their level.

Many kids who mostly can only see their own perspective will honestly twist things this way. It's true afterall, if he always got his way he'd be happier. Not saying it's ok. Just that it feels that way to them. His exact words are said by Q.

When I get to a point where consequences really are making things worse for Q and harder on me...well obviously that's not the goal.

I then think of ways he can earn back. He needs a concrete and positive way to have hope and to obtain his wants. Taking things away alone is not teaching him the skills to do better and its frustrating you.

The issue is safety and trust. What can he do to demonstrate that?

For example....You want him to clean something? You trust him to do it by a certain time, with no threats that make people feel uncomfortable. ( don't get overly picky about perfect cleaning but of course it needs to be done good enough, maybe with cues)

Or walking a dog or laundry chores, basement clean up, whatever.

He needs immediate rewards of some kind to help get him through. Things that are important to him.

I totally understand wanting to take things away for a long time. I took NASCAR away from Q for a full season once. I'd had it. Guess what? It did nothing but create conflict.

Until you really know how his brain is wired, I imagine punishment alone is only going to increase stress and negative behaviors.

Right now he operates on....I want something and if it doesn't happen my way, I'm overwhelmed and flooded with feelings. Brain chemicals are probably flooding him and he pops off.

Obtaining wants is a common trigger for differently wired kids. And if it involves an obsession, thats a huge trigger.

His telling you he is going to get more aggressive sounds like a threat, and it is in the real world so he needs to learn better skills.
But....it also may just be honestly telling you that's how he is feeling. He is that desperate and as Q once said, it feels like his brain is going to explode.

Just thoughts I had. I've been in your shoes so many times. I've tried it many ways. You have to decide for yourself of course.

Hugs and understanding ....Dee

Bunny

I think he was feeling very overwhelmed this morning. He seems to be doing a little better now. We allowed him to use his Nintento DS, so he and easy child were playing with those for a while. Then easy child's tutor came, so while easy child was busy with her, difficult child and I did some packing for his trip on Wednesday, which I think helped him because since he's come home he keeps insisting that we won't let him go, so I think that the act of packing and helping him to pack reinforced that he will be allowed to go, as long as he remains calm and does not explode and do something like he did on Thursday.

Really, at this point I'm hoping toget through the day.

Dee, I know exactly what you are saying, and allowing him to earn things back that we've taken away is something that we've done in the past. I'll talk to husband about it and see what he says. It is giving him something to work towards and it might help him. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

InsaneCdn

giving him something to work towards
We've found that's about the only thing that produced positive results.
Sometimes you have to do the negative stuff because of safety. But we get far more growth out of carefully tailored opportunities.