difficult children & Homelessness

MICHL

I get so worried sometimes that difficult child will one day be homeless. husband & I are 46 & 51, & we will not always be here. We don't have much family either, and that family is not rich or have lots of extra space. It is pretty frightening to think about... but it seems so possible. He doesn't appreciate school work & only cares about computer games etc. When he doesn't get the games or has restrictions, he goes psychotic.

tiredmommy

I would think that age 12 is probably a good time to start thinking about adult living arrangements in your community. You can start researching what's available now and be prepared when your difficult child reaches 18 or 21 or 25 years old to be transitioned to community living. I know I would feel better knowing what need to be accomplished when so he could be transitioned smoothly into a program that will satisfy his unique needs.

BusynMember

With a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, which is what my son has, most kids do not grow into independent adults, although most can also be semi-independent. There are supports for anyone 18 and over in the community for adults on the autism spectrum. Although my son has loving much older siblings who will take care of him, I actually think an assisted living apartment may be the best for him. I am fine with him getting social security, but there are also sheltered workshops to help with self-esteem and socializing and we plan that for him as well. Right now, our son is doing great, but he shows life cluelessness that, if it follows him into adulthood, will make it impossible for him to live completely on his own. So there are resources, and your school district should be helping him. At age 14 in Wisconsin, the school has to start helping plan a life plan for kids with disabilities such as Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. By the way, it is the norm for people with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, or any form of autism, to obsess on a few narrow interests and computers seems to be one of the main things. My son loves computers and videogames and thinks about them even when we force him to do other things. It's not "abnormal" for people on the spectrum. It's pretty par for the course.