difficult child's First School Dance

Stella Johnson

difficult child had her first school dance last night. (6th grade)
She had a blast. She danced for an hour and a half straight with her "boyfriend." The boyfriend was her only friend last year at elementary. He is the sweetest kid in the world. I guess now they are boyfriend and girlfriend since they are "teenagers" now.:D

When she got home two of her friends from down the street came over. I knew I shouldn't have let her play after the dance. She gets overly tired and turns into a monster.

The drug everything difficult child owns out into her tent in the back yard. She snuck her bedspread outside which she knows she isn't allowed to do. Took other things out she isn't even allowed to have. Kept having meltdowns over everything.

I finally decided it was time for them to go home. Tried to get them to clean up. (The other two girls never want to clean up and come up with an excuse to leave when this needs to be done)

When I discovered the things she snuck outside that weren't supposed to be there I grounded her for the weekend. I'm sick of her dragging things out there to be ruined.

So now I'm stuck with a grounded difficult child. Grounding her is more torture for me than it is her I think.

Steph

Pookybear66

Stella-I'm glad she had a good dance, but I'm sorry she broke a rule and is now grounded. However, was it her things she took outside? Did she actually get them dirty and ruined? I don't know much about your situation so if I'm wrong let me know, but I think that now she is a "teenager" as you say that maybe she needs to have the responsibilty of her own things. If she breaks/ruins something that you bought for her she does not get a new one till SHE can pay for it with her own money. And I don't know if she gets an allowance or money from rellies for holidays, but that could be a long time till she earns enough to buy the item in question.

I would've talked to her and asked her about why she took the things out. I'm sure she was excited about the evening and just didn't think about the consequences. I'm sure she already knows your rules. And I'm NOT so sure grounding her for the weekend will help her remember the next time. Best wishes for the next time whatever you decide to do.

tiredmommy

I'm glad she enjoyed herself at the dance. As for the rest... live and learn. I guess those friends won't be coming over late anymore. :winks:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Like the others, I'm glad she had a great time at the dance. As for the rest, sorry you are stuck with a grounded difficult child.

TerryJ2

I'm so glad she had a good time at the dance.

Now you know to end it when it's really ended. :)

Sorry about the fact that she dragged her stuff outside.

Maybe she can do extra chores and you can un-ground her for a cpl hrs for good behavior, just to give yourself a break?