difficult child's internet pedophile has been granted parole

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That's it. I received a call this morning from the victim's advocate who read mine and difficult child's statement at the hearing.

He is not allowed near difficult child or any minors; he's not allowed to use a computer; he will be wearing a GPS device that he has to download into a system that goes directly to his parole officer daily and he he will live in an alternative housing; he will have to register as a sex offender and he will have to take some kind of sex offender classes that he has to pay for. He is settling in his home town, which is about 25 minutes from our town and I think that's it.

I am just numb. I was already having a horrible morning as I received news that my mom is not doing well and my sister (in PA) has finally realized that she is more than she can handle and is calling the home we looked at a YEAR ago to see what's next. I broke down with the advocate - little did she know that her news was just the icing on the cake today.

difficult child was with me when I got the call and she's none to happy either. Ugh - please say a prayer that he does what he's supposed to do and stays away. He will be released January 5th 2010.

witzend

I give his freedom two weeks before he takes some stupid chance and gets locked back up. Not anything major, because these guys are too savvy for that. Something like saying he needs a computer for a job search.

Good luck!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
One can only hope Witz, sadly.

I knew the day would come that he'd be released, but I guess we've tried so hard to put this behind us that hearing this has just brought up a lot of old emotions for me...and anger. I think that somewhere in my peanut sized brain I imagined him being sent to some remote island with only monkeys for companionship or something. My sister asked me when his castration surgery is...ha. I don't even have it in me to laugh. Just a mixed bag of emotions and no one to talk about it with.

klmno

Keeping fingers crossed that they actually check the monitor and not just stick the ankle bracelet on for show like they did with that nut who kidnapped the girl.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can tell you not just from a statistical point of view but from personal experience - Witz is 100% right. These guys reoffend almost right away.

Please take the next few months to have your home and your daughter familiarize yourself with self-defense classes, get pepper spray, practice being alert in places that you would normally be comfortable in, change your schedule up a bit all the time, check windows, doors, and put security measures in place now. Actually it would be a good idea to TRY to have someone get into your house and see where the vulnerable places are. Fix them now. Make sure your daughter has AAA club, cell phone, battery charger jump start IN HER CAR (they're about $75 and worth their weight in gold if she's ever caught leaving her lights on or needs a jump - she won't have to ask anyone - teach her how to use this and how to jump her car so she doesn't HAVE to wait for AAA) - teach her how to change a flat tire too.

These are things that she should know how to do. Make sure she has a useable jack in her car - not that junky bottle twisty put together crank job that no one knows how to operate unless you are a 4th year ASE certified mechanic. Small hydraulic jacks and proper use are invaluable - make sure her lug nuts are NOT on so tight she can't bust them loose - check them at least once a week.

I'm not the angel of doom and gloom - Get her a zapper - a whistle....

And tell her to NOT be afraid - be aware....Don't take chances.....be wise.

ALWAYS ALWAYS check her back seat......ALWAYS.....and NEVER approach her cars driver side if a van is parked next to her - if it is....get in from the passenger side....or call a policeman to come meet her.

In self defense class I learned how to literally disable someone with a magazine....so there are ways she can protect herself without a knife or a gun.....you have to keep in mind - live by the sword. No one ever suspects that a woman walking with a Vanity Fair rolled up is capable of killing you with it. ;)

Doesn't matter HOW small she is either -

I'm sorry this jerk has a chance again......I can think of better places for the ankle bracelet. :mad:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thank you Star. difficult child is all set with a car charger, cell, etc. I have reminded difficult child to always check her back seat and surroundings before going out to her car or getting in it. She drives a poopy-box, so she has to manually lock all the doors, etc., and I know she often doesn't bother, but I will remind her again to step up the precautions of doing so.

About my house: We're under construction and there are probably multiple ways for someone to get inside without our knowledge - something I have nagged H about endlessly. For instance, I would love a couple of deadbolts on the front and back doors. I would also like to have our basement door have a lock as well (the one that leads upstairs from the garage). If someone crawls in through a garage window, they can just waltz right into our basement and up the stairs. There IS a lock on the door at the top of the stairs, but that can easily be kicked open *plus the key is hanging right there on the wall...laughable security at our little house in the mountains. Also, the garage door opener is a mere doorbell. It has no special code or anything - just push the button and voila! the door opens. So, yeah, we have some prep work ahead of us and I aim to get it all in place asap.

Seriously, my gut is telling me that this guy is not going to come anywhere near us or difficult child, but we do have to be careful and feel safe. difficult child is home alone enough that it concerns me. And, like it's been said, he will likely be stupid enough to land himself in jail. However, he had been operating as a predator on line for 10 years before difficult child came along...the detective on her case said the creep was very good at keeping a low profile, so who knows how long he will be out before he screws it up again. And in the interim, I hope he stays away from us.

I just hung up with a marital arts place nearby that offers women's self defense classes every once in a while and they are going to call me back with the next offering. I will sign all of us for that. It's only a $10 donation each; I can swing that.

Thankfully, difficult child is rarely alone outside of the house. She's almost always with her guy friends or at her boyfriend's house. And the only other place she's somewhat secluded and alone is at work on Saturdays.

I was thinking of calling the detective who worked on this case for us - he was the one who recently contacted me to sit in on a town meeting concerning our police station. I was thinking of asking him if the police offers any self defense classes or if there was anything in particular we should watch out for, etc. What do you think?

witzend

Jo, is there a Victim's Advocate program in your county? If so, I would definitely contact them about how to feel safe about moving on to this part of his sentence.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Jo, is there a Victim's Advocate program in your county? If so, I would definitely contact them about how to feel safe about moving on to this part of his sentence.

Thanks Witz. I called the advocate back to ask her the same. If she can't help, hopefully she can refer us to someone who can. Hopefully I will hear back from her tomorrow. I was already upset by the time we hung up today. It was like ripping off a scab.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I agree. Odds are it won't be long before he tries something again and winds up back in jail.

In the meantime.........I doubt seriously he wants to come near you guys as you put him there once already. Jail is a very uncomfortable place for sex offenders of children.

And besides.....victims are supposed to stay victims.....so he'll move on to the next one he can find.

Sad but too true.

(((hugs)))