Difficult question- Beware

klmno

No, they don't release prelim reports, only full reports. The only thing that has been done was death certificate was submitted to health dept for vital records- but I don't even have my copy of that yet, i was just told by both medication examiners office and funeral home what the cause and manner of death were. That's ok- I don't really need my hardcopy at this point. I don't know how this thread got focused on a timeline but we can let it die out now.

DammitJanet

I thought in your first post you were asking how long it could be...sorry. I realize now that I read the next persons reply and saw the 6-8 weeks as the answer and took that in with my reply.

I also was remembering another post where you had said that you had the coroner's report so I thought you had preliminary report. Again, my mistake. I misunderstood.

klmno

It's ok- np; i asked medication examiner if i could get prelim report- she said no- ok, then I said it's my understanding final will be done in a couple of mos due to waiting for toxicology and lab and she said "Oh we are waiting for SEVERAL reports to come in" and I asked what other reports and she wouldn't tell me- like it was a secret or it would be too painful for me. I was only trying to find out what they were- not when. someone mentioned it could be forensics- like bullet info and shooter distance- I then wondered if that got put in medication examiners report or if that was done thru SBI chain of investigation. Or if they even do that before determining if it's going to go to trial.

klmno

I wsa told by medication exmainers office a week ago sun what was cause and manner of death but that's all they're allowed to tell me on phone. Death certificate was turned over to funeral home so funeral home could finish required data on it- my signature ID'ing body and claiming next of kin; funeral home had to submit it to health dept for vital records, then I'll get official copies. That's all that has been released or forwarded, to my knowledge.

InsaneCdn

They do have to do "all of it" - no matter which stream is doing it - before determining whether to go to trial. I wouldn't be surprised if some data is handled by both streams - if they don't agree, more analysis is needed.

klmno

The difference that part makes- referring to which stream does what- is that I am entitled, by law, to get a copy of everything in medication examiners report, but I don't get everything in SBI report. That's why it would matter to me who did forensics and if they go into the medication examiners report.

Prosecuting attny of course, gets all of it in order to determine if it goes to trial.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
klmno, your atty ought to be able to answer this question for you. If not, I'd put them to work finding out the answer for you. That's what you're paying them for.

This is a somewhat basic question and should not be that hard to answer. This is something that probably varies from state to state according to that particular state's laws.

((hugs))

H

HaoZi

Ballistics reports, to see which shots were fired from which guns, they could be waiting on those, and how long those take will depend on who is doing them and how back-logged their case load is.

I have not read the other responses but I can tell you about my recent experience. My brother died from a gunshot wound Sept. 21. The body was released after the autopsy, but the medical examiner's reports are still not done. My mom called there earlier in the week. I know we got the death certificate with the cause of death on them right away, but we are anxious to see the medical examiner's report. The toxiclogoy tests and other test take awhile we were told. The person who answered the phone maybe didn't know anything about anything so she was evasive. She would rather say nothing than give you wrong information. Call back and ask her, "what things?". If she doesn't know, you want to talk to someone who does.

LittleDudesMom

K,
I'm sorry to say that this may be the beginning of a multitude of questions you may have. I'm not sure we are the best ones to answer. Since you have retained an attorney, I would think they could fill you in better since they are so much more knowledgable and experienced with this kind of situation than 98% of us here. Not saying that you should stop posting or stop asking questions, just that perhaps you are asking the right questions to the wrong people.
Sharon

klmno

Thanks LDM- I didn't know if my questions were things most other laymen would know or not - I didn't have the answers so I completely understand if others here don't either.

InsaneCdn

klmno... the other side of the coin is, if you're like me with "tough questions", sometimes it helps to run a trial balloon among friends, to see if the question makes sense or should include other concerns or whatever. We may not have answers, but our questions back might help you refine your question before you put it to the pros... its just a different form of help.