digital thermometer recommendation for taking temp?

ctmom05

I need to pick up an accurate thermometer. My experience has been that most of the oral ones are just not accurate; they generally register a false low reading. I need reasonable accuracy to know if my temp is above 100.5

Any recommendations based on personal use from folks here?

InsaneCdn

Haven't bought in years... but I know back when we needed one, they warned us to practice, practice and practice some more, when you first get it and do not need it. It takes a lot of practice to be accurate with a digital. And 10x the practice if you're doing it on yourself.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Last I heard the ones you used with the ear were the "best" as in most accurate. This is of course if you can get it to work, which I never seemed to get the hang of the darn thing.

With most digitals, make sure you place it fairly far back beneath the tongue and hold it steady until it beeps will give you a fairly accurate reading. If accuracy is the key, I'd see if I could purchase an old fashioned mercury type (it's not mercury anymore), learn to read one if you don't know how (it's really not hard to do) and use that instead. Downfall to it is that it will take 5 mins each time for an accurate reading.

Just my opinion. I grew up with the old fashioned type, got adept with using them.........don't mind digital but still prefer the old type to be honest.

Maybe the pharmacist could help or the doctor office?

DammitJanet

They have some incredibly wonderful new thermometer's out on the market now for children. These take the temp very quickly and very accurately. I would ask the pharmacist at the store about the best one out there.