Ding Dong, Avon calling!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
:meditating: Deep breaths, deep breaths....

So, difficult child has a meeting with an Avon lady this morning and is mad at me because I 'forgot' to give her the $10 'startup' fee the other day...hello, I don't even know where she is at, and her meeting with an Avon lady is not exactly on the top of my to-do list. Plus, I think it's a stupid idea.

Yes, she's planning on selling Avon. I don't know anyone under the age of 50 who still buys Avon...not that that matters. But I mean, aren't most Avon ladies women who have real jobs and sell on the side, mostly so they can get their products for free??

WHEN IS THIS KID GOING TO GET A REAL JOB? I gave her the online link to apply at a local market here. I wonder if she did or if she threw it away. Argh. Still jobless, still homeless, still no money, and still seeing monkeyboy. :sick:

This afternoon she is going to stay with easy child upu at her apt near college for a few days until they head off to see their dad's family for the weekend so we will be driving in my car, together, for 2 hours. Oh Joy~

Abbey

Spork Queen
All I can say is...good luck with that!! I haven't bought Avon in eons.

The online apps are a bear. It takes forever to fill them out, but you have to. Then, if she is smart, go into the actual store and let them know she has filled them out. It's just another piece of email to them.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well maybe the ding dong part is right.

(sorry I passed sarcastic doing 100 yesterday and can't shake dumb kid syndrome)

DammitJanet

Well...avon is a stretch...lol. I guess maybe we all have to go through this though. I tried tupperware and amway years ago. Recently I have been considering getting into selling sex toys...lmao. They have a home business similar to avon now.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jo, I think as long as she isn't living in your home you have not one bit of influence on what she does.

That's probably the hardest thing for us to accept- lol. Not that we had any influence on them when they did live with us but at least we could take their car keys or ground them or something!

Alas, this is the time to let her try these things and to let her have success or failure in her attempts. She'll find out soon enough that Avon probably won't be lucrative enough to live independently.

In the meantime, practice your detachment responses (see archives).."that's nice honey." ;)

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet!:redface::redface::redface:

Jo said ding dong - not.......well you get what I'm saying.

REALLY???? SELLING THAT STUFF LIKE AVON HUH?

There are so many possibilities to that joke - I'm not out of the corner enough to go there.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Janet, I have gone to a couple of those parties and let me tell you, there were a few moments where I heard my mother in law's voice in my head saying, "My Word!" My neice sells that stuff too, so I have an 'in', no pun intended!

Actually, I see up on difficult child's away message that she wrote a really nice little ad and contact info for her new sales venture. She's bringing her little kit with her to LI to see her dad's family this weekend - maybe they will buy stuff. And she will even have her very own website sponsored by Avon, cool.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Um...I actually managed an "adult gift store" for some time. I'd be happy to offer my services as a merchandising and usage consultant to anyone interested in getting into the "toy" business.

Errrr...so long as it doesn't include having to do demos...

ToK (you want LUBE with that?)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - I want you to know that there IS a future in Avon.

I just read in PincK (mix the c and K) for Pink Inc. magazine for career women - that the 3rd HIGHEST earning woman in industry today is an Avon lady.

She's Asian descent - and makes millions a year MILLIONS.

WOW - so never give up your dream -

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
I have to admit, I still use Avon products, They've come a long way from what my mom used to order. Their Anew anti-aging line works great and costs a fraction of the department store skin care lines. I use it twice a day.

I order off the Avon website, but if I knew someone who sold it I could order off their site and still get it shipped to my house. They regularly have sales and free shipping offers.

So don't give up on her just yet...it sounds like she may be making a legitimate effort. Sit back, detach, and see what she learns from the experience ;)

Genny

by the way, I actually attended a Passion Party just last night. It was a hoot (and I spent my fun money for the entire month :surprise:).

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks Genny, I am actually hopeful. Perhaps she will do well selling for and to women - the only sales jobs she's held so far are in a predominantly male environment, so who knows?

Those passion parties are kind of pricey (and spicey!).:tongue:

DazedandConfused

Okay, I still use Avon, and have for years.

I LOVE their Tranquil Moments products. I was so disappointed when they discontinued it. Must have been many of us, because they brought it back a couple of years ago. I buy HUGE when they are on sale.

Also, their hair defrizz capsules are literally THE BEST I've ever used.

I do my buying online. However, if someone has a rep you can put their name so they can get credit. Combining sales with free shipping is the way to go.

Now, whether or not difficult child will be a success at AVON, I don't know.......but bending into a prezel here hoping she is!