Disability payments for homeschooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Chief

Hi all,
I live in the US. I have just started to homeschool my daughter because she's been kicked out of two schools (one private & one public), and she's not stable at this moment. I'm not working now, so it's actually OK. I've worked in the automotive industry my whole life, so I haven't found a job yet. My unemployment runs out in June. (I am looking & available for work...really!) My plan is to only homeschool until the end of this school year & put her into a public charter school in the fall.

My question is what if school doesn't work out next fall & she is expelled again & I need to homeschool her. wife said that I should check into disability payments for her, as I couldn't work because I have to homeschool her.

Has anyone here heard of anything like that?

Thanks.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't think there are any sort of "caregiver" subsidies available in the US. The child might be eligible for SSI due to her disabilities, but not specifically for you in the case of homeschooling.

Apply for SSI, it can't hurt. Focus on your child's issues, not homeschooling and don't downplay anything.

As for school- The school MUST educate her. Does she have an IEP? What setting was she in? The school is failing to provide her with a FAPE. If you want to homeschool her and are comfortable doing so, great!

There is a possible 3rd option- your state is in the process of opening a virtual school through connections academy (what my kids will be doing if/when we move). I'm sure there are other virtual schools. Connections (and possibly other schools) is a free public school, just virtual. So she would go to school on the computer and have a teacher, etc.

Red Chief

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

I plan to put her back into school when the next school year starts. I was just trying to cover all of my options, in case school doesn't work out. SSI was what I was thinking of, I just didn't know if I should push her illness alone, or go the 'I have to homeschool because of her' route.

She was just kicked out of a private school, so they don't have to educate her. They were cool about it though. They said she could come back at the beginning of the next school year, if we get her stable. They aren't really equipped to deal with kids like her, and they are quite expensive, so she will not go back there.

I refuse to send her to the regular public school, unless there is absolutely no other option. She has quite a few bad memories from her experiences there. I took her out to begin with because she was one incident away from being expelled, after trashing an office and assaulting a teacher, among other things. There were incidents every day, so it was a matter of when, not if something happened. She had a 504 there, but, of course, no one mentioned anything about an IEP.

There are a few public charter schools in the area, I will try one of them first. Plus, someone gave me a hint to check the regional educational service agency about alternative elementary schools.

I think homeschooling her for now is the best bet. She really enjoys it so far. Plus, I can keep an eye on her. Her psychiatrist said that it is a very good idea & said she will back me if needed.

I am interested in finding out more about the virtual school. I will do some research, and if you could post some links Autismkids, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks all!

Sheila

I'd get the sd evaluation started now. It doesn't matter that you are homeschooling; the sd wherein you reside is responsible for performing it upon parental request via certified mail.

There are sample letters in the archives if you need one.

At best this is a 60-90day process.

Can't help with the ss question. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.