Disciplining my son

Anna1345

Go into the room, with out looking directly at him or speaking, take what ever it is he is destroying (or remove him from what ever he is destroying) and sit him down on the bed or floor. Then walk out. Do it every single time he starts destroying things.

Michael is not allowed to have in his room a TV or gaming station of any kind and I have been known to remove the door from the hinges. I would also recommend a "time out" (maybe sitting in a chair facing a wall) where you can keep an eye on him vs. sending him to his room. When doing this with Michael, I also make him sit on his hands so not to get distracted by them.

Anna1345

We used the "wall" treatment too, but difficult child was a lot older than 6 years old. He was around 10-11ish.

Anna - thank your husband for me on behalf of my family and my family here.

AWE thanks hun!

Yea Michael is 11 now and we started doing that at about 9 or 10. I think 6 is a little young too but you never know.

Anna1345

Also have you tried conerta? I have found it is a tremendous help, it is time released so lasts about 12 hours. It is not a non stimulant but not at all formulated like Ritalin or the like. The only time we had problems with sleeping are when his dosage was higher. We lowered the dose and it worked like a charm. Hang in there!

Also have you tried conerta? I have found it is a tremendous help, it is time released so lasts about 12 hours. It is not a non stimulant but not at all formulated like Ritalin or the like. The only time we had problems with sleeping are when his dosage was higher. We lowered the dose and it worked like a charm. Hang in there!
yes we have tried concerta and about 7 others lol but it didn't work long enough i don't know the adderall is gonna have to be increased if the clonodin doesn't work we are seeing improvement so we'll go along with what the psychiatrist prescribes until we're not satisfied thanks for the advice don't stop anything that comes to mind even for the future i'll take lol

Anna1345

Hum when you say didn't work long enough do you mean long enough during the day or long enough in time to be effective over months? Have you also looked into coupling medications with the Feingold diet? http://www.feingold.org/ I found that helped a lot with Michael and Jax (though Jax has not been diagnosis with anything). They are VERY sensitive to foods with blue and red dyes. Just something else to think about.

Anna1345

That is really tough. We have been lucky enough to not have to deal with that. We have increased the dosage, however my pediatrician. right now (which is actually better then my Pdr when regulating medications) is kind of crunchy and has helped me keep the lowest dose possible while still using behavioral and diet modifications. Currently we have been on the same dose for almost 2 years. As I know it is ontroversial, I am convinced that diet plays a key role.

Not to bring up other things also, but could it be that he might have aspergers? Something else to think about.

i don't think so my husband thinks he (husband)has that but has never been diagnosis i'm not sure what all the symptoms are of it but right now my brain hurts lol

TerryJ2

Anna, sounds like you're doing all the right things!

Crazy, isn't your son's Adderal extended release? It should last 12 hrs at least.

Anna1345

Yea I hear ya.... just something to think about though. It could be a reasoning behind having such trouble finding medications that work and work well for you.

Anna1345

Anna, sounds like you're doing all the right things!

Crazy, isn't your son's Adderal extended release? It should last 12 hrs at least.

Thanks Terry! I am so glad I am not the only one. I feel that way so much and it is nice to have other parents that are going through eh same thing that can really relate. Know what I mean??

That is what I was thinking too. It should be an ER, but if it is and he is still needing it 2x's a day, then maybe it is not ADHD and he has been misdiagnosed? Also, maybe try one time a day and adjusting his schedule so not to need the benedryl at night?

he's always had a sleep problem even when he was a baby but with all medications even non-stimulants he can't sleep at all without some help and i work full-time out of home so not sleeping is not an option not that it would be if i didn't have a full-time job outside of home

he is not on extended release because that's never worked for him in the past and the psychiatrist wanted to try something different and we're not at a really high dose yet but she said once we find out if the clonodin is gonna work for his aggression then we could be more aggressive with the medication dosage increases

i looked at the diet program you told me about and i was wondering how expensive is the foods they recommend on the shopping list

Anna1345

I hear ya!

Well, Lets see. 99% of it is name brands. When you first start, you will find yourself reading EVERY label on EVERY shelf! LOL but I tell ya, once you get the hang of it, it is easy. For example, I believe it was Dannon (michael doesn't eat a lot of yogurt so it's been a while) that is the only brand that has no red or blue dyes. Kraft is the only cheese, Caprisuns are the only juice boxes, etc. Snakcs for school I would buy crackers, fruit, etc. My kids like that stuff. All the prepackaged stuff like fruit rollups and the like have TONS of dye in them. I always have to find which grocery store is having what sales when I shop because we are on a VERY tight budget. I have still found that Walmart Supercenter is my best best most of the time. HTH!

ok i still have not talked my husband into it bc as you know it's not free so maybe the counselor whenever we get in to see him can shed some light on it for husband

Anna1345

I am not sure what you mean by not free? I just read what to avoid and looked for it on the labels when I grocery shopped. I didn't buy any kind of program.

I am not sure what you mean by not free? I just read what to avoid and looked for it on the labels when I grocery shopped. I didn't buy any kind of program.
ok i'll check it out again our money is so tight i just usually go straight to the cost lol