Disclosing Medical Records to School ...

V

vja4Him

I just received the medical records for my son's treatment from his therapist and psychiatrist. I'm wondering just how much I should disclose to the school ....

Since we've all been traumatized, and have lived in a dysfunctional family, I'm concerned that the school might try and use some of this history against me ... ???

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Have they specifically asked to "see" the records? I would not show them anything, and would only reveal what is pertinent to your difficult child's need for supports at school. The rest of the family's business is really none of theirs, Know what I mean??

shellyd67

I would not disclose ANY of your difficult child's records to the school district. In the small town we live in, parents, teachers, secretaries in the school district run their mouths way too much. I have often said if my difficult child's info is "put out on the street" they would have hell to pay and I mean that ! I may sound paranoid but I do not feel everyone has difficult child's best interest in mind. Parents today tell their kids way too much info as well and kids will repeat things their parents have told them. This is just my opinion. Whatever your decide Best Wishes !:D

V

vja4Him

Have they specifically asked to "see" the records? I would not show them anything, and would only reveal what is pertinent to your difficult child's need for supports at school. The rest of the family's business is really none of theirs, Know what I mean??

The issue regarding my son's medical records came up at the meeting last week. They all wanted to see my son's medical records. I am very concerned about revealing the medical records because several people have mentioned that the school might try and use stuff against me. The medical records mention that my son's mother may have abused alcohol, and that I had (at the time the medical records state) 26 years clean and sober. I am concerned that the school might try and use this record against me, the fact that at one time I drank (almost 30 years ago now).

There was also mention of a dysfunctional family, abuse, lack of parenting skills. This seems like it could be fuel for the fire against me ....

BusynMember

I wouldn't let them see anything until you have an Advocate. Then the advocate can tell you what is smart to show them. I never give the school too much information. They are educators, not psychologists (although they often try to play the latter). It's none of their business in my opinion what your life has been like...again, I have a sister AND a friend who work at two separate school districts. The staff gossips like nobody's business and draws their own conclusions about the parents. They are already trying to turn this into a psychiatric issue rather than a learning problem. I'd wait. There is no need to rush. You have all summer to plan strategy with the advocate who will help you. JMO

slsh

member since 1999
My opinion is not to share with- school, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Too much can be taken out of context, especially by folks who are not mental health professionals. Also, in my son's case, his psychiatric records contained info about some sexualized behaviors he engaged in at an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) - not a chance I wanted that documentation to become part of his school record.

My policy for years has been if the school wants medical information, they have to ask me for it (I don't even authorize the SD to contact my pcs' pediatrician) I would then ask the appropriate professional for the info, and after I've reviewed it, I would forward it on to school. Interestingly, since I've adopted this practice, the school has not needed any information on either of my special needs kids.

Since the school has requested "medical records", in the spirit of cooperation I would ask specifically what they want - diagnoses, medication lists, test results, what? Tell them you'll be happy to request the information from psychiatrist/therapist for them - be sure you review it before you give the SD anything.

susiestar

Roll With It
I grew up listening to my dad and his fellow teachers talk about students. Many of the teachers see NO reason not to share whatever they think records say with everyone in school, including with parent volunteers. My father was always adamant that the schools get no info on our health, except when mine interfered with school. Then they got a letter from the doctor stating the diagnosis and what needed to happen. NOTHING else. My mom usually took a letter or the outline of it to the doctor for his signature. Only one doctor ever changed anything - and that was to add more accommodations to it. NEVER was treatment discussed unless I needed time away from school for PT. Then it simply stated that I would be gone from class X times per week.

I would not ever sign ANY release for the school to talk to the doctor or get access to medical records. You are right that it will be used against you and your kids.

V

vja4Him

I wouldn't let them see anything until you have an Advocate. Then the advocate can tell you what is smart to show them. I never give the school too much information. They are educators, not psychologists (although they often try to play the latter). It's none of their business in my opinion what your life has been like...again, I have a sister AND a friend who work at two separate school districts. The staff gossips like nobody's business and draws their own conclusions about the parents. They are already trying to turn this into a psychiatric issue rather than a learning problem. I'd wait. There is no need to rush. You have all summer to plan strategy with the advocate who will help you. JMO

I know very well, first hand, what goes on in the staff rooms .... I've been working in schools for over 21 years now. I don't even hang out in the staff rooms anymore. There is way too much gossip, talking behind people's backs. Teachers even talk bad about their principal, then when the principal walks in, they change their attitude and act all nice to the principal, and pretend nothing is going on.

I've heard so many teachers bad mouth students, parents, and get all worked up, sometimes even sharing confidential information that they should not be disclosing. I've seen teachers bad mouthing other teachers. But I guess teachers are just people like anyone else. They make mistakes, have feelings .... Some are better than others, and some shouldn't be in the field of education period.

susiestar

Roll With It
That sounds like a pretty good assessment of teachers and people overall. For me the important thing to remember has always been that the information is NOT my personal information to share. It is info about my child. That makes me the custodian of the information, just as I am the custodian of my child. I try to weigh what the repercussions would be to my child if info slipped. I even went so far as to try to figure out how the kids would use info to tease and taunt my child. IF I figured the info had more benefits than drawback I gave them the info.

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
I would give them no medical records. If they need confirmation of a diagnosis, then I would ask your child's dr to write a letter confirming the diagnosis and any school/classroom accomidation the dr recommends.

But I also would not give it to them until they ask for it. Especially if they ask for it now... I would tell them to wait until the August meeting!

TerryJ2

I really like this idea:
I would give them no medical records. If they need confirmation of a diagnosis, then I would ask your child's dr to write a letter confirming the diagnosis and any school/classroom accomidation the dr recommends.

Good luck!

JJJ

My opinion is not to share with- school, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Too much can be taken out of context, especially by folks who are not mental health professionals. Also, in my son's case, his psychiatric records contained info about some sexualized behaviors he engaged in at an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) - not a chance I wanted that documentation to become part of his school record.

My policy for years has been if the school wants medical information, they have to ask me for it (I don't even authorize the SD to contact my pcs' pediatrician) I would then ask the appropriate professional for the info, and after I've reviewed it, I would forward it on to school. Interestingly, since I've adopted this practice, the school has not needed any information on either of my special needs kids.

Since the school has requested "medical records", in the spirit of cooperation I would ask specifically what they want - diagnoses, medication lists, test results, what? Tell them you'll be happy to request the information from psychiatrist/therapist for them - be sure you review it before you give the SD anything.

This is exactly how we handle it as well.

trinityroyal

Another vote not to share information.

I had an experience when I was 15 and having quite a difficult child-ish time, where I had gone to the school guidance counsellor to ask for advice about finding a therapist (Not something I was willing to ask my difficult child-parents about)
About a week later, walking down the hallway in school, I overheard the Book Room lady and the Typing teacher (neither of whom taught me) discussing me by name and repeating details of my private one-on-one conversation with the guidance counsellor.

I agree that you should only share the bare minimum information, and only with regard to the classroom accommodations your difficult child requires. Beyond that, none of it is any of their business and it can be used against you.

nvts

I wouldn't. They've proven themselves to be vindictive and malighning since you've joined us.

My sister (who has fibromyalgia) agreed to go on a class trip with my nephew's class. Her son is in 8th grade and has Aspergers. While she's standing there, a man walked up to the teacher next to her and asked "Is X going to be on your bus?" (X being my nephew). The teacher replied "Yes he is." and the man (who turned out to be the Occupational Therapist (OT) in the school) started talking about him, saying nasty and rude things about how he talks about boring, inane and stupid things constantly. My sister turned around and asked him who he was, and she said, "So glad to meet you and have a face to put with a name." The guys says "And you are?" and she said "No one important, just X's mom".

Some people just use what they can get. Plain and simple.

I don't like the sound of the goings-on with your school district...I'd be walking softly and carrying a very big stick with these people!

Beth

V

vja4Him

I wouldn't. They've proven themselves to be vindictive and malighning since you've joined us.

My sister (who has fibromyalgia) agreed to go on a class trip with my nephew's class. Her son is in 8th grade and has Aspergers. While she's standing there, a man walked up to the teacher next to her and asked "Is X going to be on your bus?" (X being my nephew). The teacher replied "Yes he is." and the man (who turned out to be the Occupational Therapist (OT) in the school) started talking about him, saying nasty and rude things about how he talks about boring, inane and stupid things constantly. My sister turned around and asked him who he was, and she said, "So glad to meet you and have a face to put with a name." The guys says "And you are?" and she said "No one important, just X's mom".

Some people just use what they can get. Plain and simple.

I don't like the sound of the goings-on with your school district...I'd be walking softly and carrying a very big stick with these people!

Beth

I feel like stomping my feet, and shouting through a bull-horn, wake up you lazy people!!! I'm trying hard to restrain myself ....

Did have a good long chat with one of the administrators yesterday late afternoon. He called me regarding the issues I'm having with my son's school, and told me that I can contact my son's teachers.