DNA test questions.

Elizabethm

I'm new to this page and have been reading the posts in an effort to obtain some much needed guidance.
I keep reading about DNA testing.
Can someone please explain this process to me.
I've googled it but not getting much.
Thx

ksm

They use a swab, like a large Q-tip in the cheek area. Then they mail that to the lab.

It will tell them what liver enzymes the patient has or don't have. Different medicines need different liver enzymes to metabolize the medication. My daughter was missing an enzyme for some medications, and had twice as many of a different enzyme, so processed that type of medication too quickly.

It also provided a list of medications, divided in o three columns. 1. Recommended medications. 2. Use with caution. 3. Use with extra caution.

Ksm

ksm

I Hope your insurance will cover it. AlwSys check ahead of time, as it is expensive.

Has your child had problems or side effects on previous medication? I would point that out yo the insurance. Our daughter had rages on genetic Prozac...I think there may be some undiagnosed bipolar tendency.

Ksm

Elizabethm

Thx.
No problems but he's been on 3 medications and they haven't worked. He's now off because he says they don't work. I thought this might be a good option.