Do female cats mark things?

Steely

I have a female cat who is about ten. She has been fixed, and yet suddenly, (since Matthew left) she seems to be "marking" or scenting her territory like a male un-neutered cat. I cannot even begin to understand what is going on. At first I thought she was peeing on something - but the more I have investigated it - the more I realize she is literally marking her territory. It is worse when I open the windows, as she is primarily an indoor cat. Have you guys ever experienced this?

F

flutterbee

I've had 2 female, spayed cats that marked. It was always stress related. Fortunately, even though it does stink, it's not as bad as a male cat's spray and it's easier to get the smell out.

Janna

Yes. And, it's a behavior problem LOL! How lucky are you?

We had a female, spayed, sprayed all over my stove top. Vet said put her in the crate or lock her up somewhere, we did that, she stopped. So we let her out, and she did it again. SO went to make steamed shrimp, started up the burner on the stove, and can you imagine the smell?

I got rid of her. Sorry. If you have the patience to work through it - I think it can be a curable thing?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Piper constantly gets into my art supplies, grabs my Sharpies and runs through the house making cat mark X on everything while screaming THIS IS MINE< THIS IS MINE, THAT? THAT'S MINE....MINE XX MINEXX.....MINE X

like that?

Since a cat has come to live with us - I've had to lock up the pens, magic markers, crayons, and pencils other wise we endure her screaming MINE, MINE, MINE.

:tongue:

Steely

Star.........that is exactly how she sounds! Mine...pfft. Mine....pfft.:furry:
She is doing it right now!
The weird thing is that when she "marks" or scents thing, I can never, ever find evidence. The only evidence is in the air, so to speak. It is weird. And she does it only when I open the windows, or rarely, when I get home after work. Definitely a behavior thing, although I did not realize spayed female cats could do such a thing.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Piper used to do this VERY annoying butt thing. Since then I have amended my phrases to her. I now say "here kitty, come on puss..." and then screech "NO KITTY BUTTHOLE" - oddly enough it works,and while I say it I'm pulling her tail down to give her a modecum of decency.

ALL cats mark - she does it mostly subtly though with her face - they have glands there that mark scent. I had no idea females sprayed and would be livid....ours in an in/out cat....She's welcome to rub and spray and dig on all she wants outside....but we want her in at night to eat and for company. Ever since she was attacked my that raccoon? She stays right around the house. If she didn't do that? She'd be totally indoors.

Steely

Oh Star* - now I am confused!! (Sense the whiny tone.;))
Are spayed female cats capable of actually spraying a scent into the air????
Or is my cat, a male cat incognito????:ashamed: