Do flu shots make you get a mild case of the flu?

BusynMember

I've never had one because they make my hub get a bad cold and my grandmother got the flu from a shot. She was sicker than snot and in her late 70s. They say the flu will be bad this year.

What has your experiences been, those of you who are "older" :tongue: like me and supposed to get flu shots?

flutterby

Fly away!
It can, but it should be very mild if you do. Low fever and short lasting. Just like babies get after their vaccines. However, I've never had that happen with the flu shot.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
P- I always take 2 Motrin right before I get the flu shot and in 15 years I've never gotten the flu from the shot, or otherwise.

Okay, I admit it, I'm knocking on wood and spitting in the wind that I didn't just jinx myself! ;) I get my next flu shot on October 8.

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You can if it is a live virus vaccine. Usually it's only mild, but sometimes it can give you the full blown version.

Nichole's German Measles vaccine was a live vaccine and gave her full blown measles. OMG it was a nitemare and we were't sure she was gonna make it thru.

I've been supposed to have a flu shot for years and years. I won't take it. To me, it's a waste. It doesn't make you immune to the majority of flu out there, only to the one specifically targeted in the vaccine. Plus getting the vaccine isn't a 100 percent garauntee you won't catch it anyway....even if not from the vaccine itself.

They aren't coming near me with the swine flu shot. Last I heard from our health dept it's supposed to be a type of live vaccine. No thank you. Plus I'm surprised they're offering it now as those "in the know" are expecting it to mutate during the colder months and the vaccine would be no good for the mutated version. Actually, it's the potential mutated version that has them scared, not so much the one out there now.

So I'll keep up my good hygiene and take my chances. :)

I had to remind Nichole that she reacts to live vaccines.........so it greatly ups the risk for Aubrey to do the same. Cuz her pediatrician doctor wants her vaccinated for swine flu and it is a live version. easy child already told him flat out no for Darrin and Brandon. So Nichole has appeared to change her mind as well.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've never had a reaction to the influenza vaccines that went beyond soreness/swelling at the injection site, aching, and low grade fever.

That's the worst I've had

everywoman

The one year I went without the shot, I ended up with baterial pneumonia and it almost killled me. I will never, ever not have the shot again. I am scheduled to have it on Sept. 25, and I am having it come he** or high water.

rlsnights

The regular flu shot is not a live virus. There is a live virus version that is inhaled through the nose (FluMist).

You cannot get the flu from the shot - only contains "dead" virus parts designed to activate your immune response to those parts. Some people may appear to get the flu from the shot when really what has happened is that they were exposed to the flu before or shortly after getting the shot or were exposed to a flu virus that was not covered by the shot. In this case it is pure coincidence that they came down with the flu shortly after getting the flu vaccination. Takes about 2 weeks after the shot before you develop immunity to the 3 kinds of viruses included in the shot.

Some people do have severe reactions to components of the vaccine. If you ever had a severe reaction to a vaccination I would be very cautious about getting any additional vaccinations of any kind.

The 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine is not a live virus vaccine.

So far the 2009 H1N1 virus does not appear to have mutated - as was expected to have happened by now. Doesn't mean it won't - just that it has not been seen yet by a research lab somewhere around the world.

Link to CDC website with info on seasonal flu vaccines

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/protect/keyfacts.htm

at the bottom of this page is a link to the info on the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine.

Frequent hand washing using proper technique is your best protection against all kinds of nasty things. If you or a family member are at high risk of complications then you may want to seriously consider getting vaccinated. Best person to discuss this with is your doctor.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Some years I get the shot, others I don't. I have never gotten sick from the flu shot. This year I am suppose to get both the regular flu shot and the H1N1 shot due to my Addison's Disease.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The one year I went without the shot, I ended up with baterial pneumonia and it almost killled me. I will never, ever not have the shot again. I am scheduled to have it on Sept. 25, and I am having it come he** or high water.

Ditto = the one year I skipped it, I got it and I never EVER want to feel that way again.

My arm is sore for a couple of days and sometimes I get a low grade fever, but never have I gotten the flu from the shot. I already got my shot and no less than 4 days later, one of my co-workers was out sick with the flu. I'm so glad I got my shot - my Dr said the flu is hitting earlier than normal this year.

I am not, however, getting the H1N1 shot. My Dr says she's waiting until she feels it's safe...say after about 30,000 people get the shot and no one dies, maybe? Just being prudent.

My daughters get the shot, but H does not.

DammitJanet

I have never got the flu after taking the shot. I have gotten the flu after not taking the shot! I will be getting the shots this year because I dont want a repeat of last year. I missed my flu shot last year because of timing right before I got so sick...was right about to go in and get it. Well...I got it after I ended up in the hospital!

BusynMember

Thanks, all. I guess I'll try it. I never get the flu or even run fevers, but that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. I'm not getting the swine flu shot. They're waiting to see if people die? :confused: No, thanks.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Girls just got their regular flu shots and mists. N gets the mist, because she had to have another shot prior to this and her with her severe anxiety we felt this was enough, she did fine. K likes the shots, she did fine.

Our pediatrician said she would personally wait to have the H1N1 if it was her and her child, and in our position. We are healthy and we are obviously smart about safety etc.
Her comment was also that we really don't just like every year don't know which flu is going to be the worst, it might be the H1N1 but one of the others may take off and become worse?
Our other doctor said she would not get it also.

Hopefully all of us stay safe and healthy this season.

DammitJanet

Im a bit worried because I have a little germ factory that brings me gifts of every nasty bug known to mankind. It used to be just everything that went through daycare but now it will Head Start too. Ugh. She is so kind to share! LOL.

Lothlorien

My kids get the flu shot every year, because they have asthma. The one year I didn't get Missy the shot, she had the flu and seizures. She's never had any adverse effects from the shot and neither has Mighty Mouse. I haven't either, but my brother gets mild flu symptoms everytime he gets the shot. Fever, chills, cough, the works, but it goes away after about two days.

smallworld

My girls and I had the FluMist in late August (because it's good for a year). The girls were absolutely fine. I felt mildly achy in my joints for a couple of days, but otherwise suffered no ill effects. Next year I'll have to go back to the shot, which always makes my arm hurt for several days, because I'll be the big 5-0.

Lothlorien

Missy can't do FluMist because of the potential neuro side-effects. I would much rather do the mist than the shots, but pedi won't do them.

Marguerite

The flu shot is not live vaccine, so there is no way the flu shot can give you flu or even a cold. However, if you happen to already be infected before the flu shot, the shot won't protect you.

Also, for a lot of people an immunisation can make you feel a bit unwell for a few days. More and more, they try to find ways to reduce any such side effects.

This particular flu is a nastier one, but the vaccination method (including method pf produciton) shouldn't be any different (it's just a different virus, that's all) so this flue shot shouldn't be any worse than other flu shots.

I also cannot have ANY immunisations because of the way my own body reacts to them. So I have to pass even though I'm in a high-risk group. The immunologistwho advised me this, is generally considered to be rabidly in favour of everyone having all possible immunisations, so when HE says, "no immunisations" to me, I listen!

Aussies are being advised to have flu shots, even though we're out of winter now (well and truly).

This virus isn't necessarily as bad as was previously believed, but it is nastier than the usual influenzas.

Marg

BusynMember

Marg,
As god is my witness, I got the German Measles from the shot. I took the shot when I was a young adult and anxious to get pregnant and I had blood work that showed I had no immunity to it.

On my oldest son's sixth birthday (great timing) I noticed a huge swollen gland in the back of my neck and felt sick and had a rash. Called doctor after hours (it was Saturday) and he crowed, "OH!!!! You must have the German Measles from the shot!!!"

I had several pregnant friends and had to tell them not to come near me at the party. Well, at least I knew the shot worked :tongue: