Do I LOOK like an idiot???!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Today is husband's niece's birthday. She's turning 19. I have it on my calendar, like I do every year. I reminded husband, like I gently do every year (usually I say something like, "Don't forget, we need to call "S" today to wish her a happy birthday").

We're seeing his whole family (except his parents who live out of state) on Sunday because there are about five family birthdays between now and the end of August, and two of the nieces head back to college in two weeks, so we're celebrating everyone on one day.

I've known about this gathering since his oldest sister called to invite us all to her house for the event two weeks ago. I was reminded about it last week when his youngest sister called to tell me whose bdays we were celebrating and to drop hints for her daughter, the other niece.

So you can imagine my surprise, no, my ANNOYANCE when husband's next oldest sister calls with this sing-songy kiss-:censored2: voice tonight to say "I was told to call and remind you that it's S's birthday today..."

ME: "Yes, we knew that."

sister in law: "...and you know we're getting together at her mom's on Sunday right? And we're celebrating V, S, A, A, & S's birthdays, okay?"

So I HAVE to ask, "WHO told you to call?" To which she replies, "Mommy did!" (That would be the dear mother in law who we took to Hawaii who spent most of her time in the room reading).

"Okay, well thanks! We're in the middle of dinner now, so I'll see you Sunday."

Just. makes. me. want. to. scream.

They used to do this to husband all the time before we got married. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've gotten a call like this... maybe first time this year. But it's no less annoying. And I KNOW they don't call to remind eachother when it's MY birthday! :angrygirl:

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Hmmm so do I hear flyers need to be printed for your birthday and sent to everyone.

Oh sorry, I better behave. Gracious that would annoy me too. Hugs.

beth

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh gosh, NO! It's not the attention, it's the self-centered, meddling hypocrisy of it all.

If I had to do this all over again, I would have taken a MUCH harder look at the in-law situation before I said yes.

Andy

"Oh, you mean it is the same day this year as it has been for the last 19 years? That is amazing. I thought you changed it to Sunday when the celebration is going to be. Silly me! See you Sunday."

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Andy, WHY can't I think on my feet like you? I really should be ready with a reply like that next time one of them feels obligated to "remind" us of something...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Andy, WHY can't I think on my feet like you?

Don't worry, we'll teach you how. :rofl:

Course if you can't come up with something like that you can always do a big DUH! Usually stumps them til something pops into your head. ;)

F

flutterbee

I used to never be able to come back with things, either. Til I started taking mental notes. I'd hear other people come back with things and mentally tuck them away. I'm proud to say, I'm pretty quick on my feet now. *puffs up chest* *almost passes out*

Seriously, though...a DUH would have sufficed in this case. :rofl:

And as far as if you LOOK like an idiot, I'm sure you don't. Unless, of course, you have IDIOT tattooed on your forehead, which I'm sure you don't.

Star*

call 911........call 911
AT THE PARTY -

I would:

Announce that this woman X was coming in the room EVERY time she came in.
Move out of my chair and announce that WOMAN X needed A seat
Fix her a plate
Cut her cake
Wipe her face with a napkin
Get her drink and put it in a sippy cup

Then when she asks WHY - say "WEll THIS is how ya'll treated me - so I was just doing what you do to fit in."

Short of getting this woman a bib and burping her? I'd be all over her in the most obnoxious way.

DaB dab on the corner of the mouth.......

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, but that means I'd actually have to TALK to her! :mad: NO THANK YOU!!!

(Fade into the sound of three sister in law's droning on endlessly about the wonderful things their perfect kids are doing... the one who's a straight-A pre-law student, the one who's landed several acting jobs in Hollywood, the one who's another straight-A architectural engineering major, the one who's a level 10 gymnast shooting for the 2012 Olympics, the one who's another straight-A student...) :talkhand:

brother in law: Glass of wine?
:wine:
ME: Why YES, I'd LOVE one! Here, wait -- let me take that bottle for you...

(Suddenly, the entertainment value of these people jumps a couple notches.) :puppet::guitarlove::pirate::geek::try2fly:

Abbey

Spork Queen
My God...and I'm going to live two doors down with 30,000 inlaws in two days. Pass me the bottle of wine when you're done...if there is any left.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
gvc,

Sounds like my friends family. They all drink "ice water" when her mother in law is around - you know - vodka on ice!!!! She is the mother in law who had her son's legos all in those hardware drawers that are clear, with the pieces sorted by size and color!! Friends daughter got the legos as a "gift" at age 16 - cause she was finally old enough to be responsible and keep them sorted.

Immediately dumped them into a box in front of Gma!! This kid is SO easy child but is a typical teen!! And you don't dog her momma - ever!Not even if you are Gma! LOL!!!

I recommend teh "ice water"!

Abbey

Spork Queen
ps...I learned a LONG time ago to never ask the question..."Do I look like an idiot." Most people would look at me and go...yep.

Abbey