do parents have any rights as far as helping a 21 y/o child?

Discussion in 'Parent Emeritus' started by amazeofgrace, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. amazeofgrace

    amazeofgrace New Member

    My oldest difficult child is definately messed up, between pot and hard alcohol... he's a mess and it's breaking my heart, he doesn't live with me anymore I see him once a week if I am lucky. I am really worried he's getting to a dangerous place.... I know the answer,,, there's nothing I can do to make him get help, even when he was still a minor I couldn't make him do thinks, sigh... just stinks is all....
  2. Bean

    Bean Member

    Prayer, if that's your thing. But as far as "rights" - I don't think so.

  3. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    The key phrase is "make him"... and you know the answer.

    If they WANT help, then there are often rights that kick into place. If he's an immediate danger to himself or others, but will cooperate, you can do all sorts of things as a "relative" even if they are adults. But... first... they have to want help.
  4. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    Not unless you can Baker Act him. That's only going to work for a few days if you can get it. The best thing that you can do for him is to get on with your life and let him see what it means to be a happy adult.

    And you're right. It does stink.
  5. recoveringenabler

    recoveringenabler Well-Known Member Staff Member

    It does stink, I'm sorry you have to be dealing with this. As the others have mentioned, once they're adults, there isn't much we can do but let go and live our own lives. I know how difficult that is, you have a lot of others right here who know exactly how that feels. (((((HUGS))))))