Do the Doctors Know?

JLady

A ship lost in the night
Are psychologist really a help to our kids?

I have gotten conflicting information about psychiatrists as well. Do they just do the medication? or do the counsel as well?

I'm not sure who to turn to.

I took my difficult child to a psychologist Friday. 40 minutes away from our house and I don't know if there was even a point. He agreed with the peditrician on the diagnosis which was not what I wanted to hear.

I don't know if I should find someone closer to home, or just wait on the psychiatrist appointment. (Dec. 17th).

Suggestions?

klmno

Hi! Some psychiatrists (psychiatrist) do counseling as well as medication management, but I think that is the exception to the rule, at least it is where I live. I'm not sure of the background and what you have or have not attained so far, but if it hasn't been done yet, I'd suggest complete neuropsychological testing on your difficult child. This would be done by a neuropsychologist or specially trained psychologist. I'm surprised that the psychologist you saw didn't mention this.

Anyway, to answer your question, many times you will get conflicting info. I found it best to give each professional a chance (unless they really rubbed me the wrong way) and see what (or who) I thought seemed to be on the right track. Many suggested things (mainly to handle it like it is was a discipline problem only) and I'd try what they suggested but it only made things worse. I stopped that approach.

But, the test results will give a much clearer picture about what the problems are and what therapy and supports are needed. If I were you, I'd still keep the psychiatrist appointment. in the meantime. Also, the psychiatrist might be able to refer you to a good person to do the testing. I'm hoping this is a child & adolescent psychiatrist??

If you can't have tests done privately (it can be costly and typically, insurance only pays for part of it), the school can do some but they won't be as thorough, probably.

Ropefree

Banned
Mostly the psyciatrists are medication monitors and the phsycologist conducts behavor tests and provide the theraputic means to support learning.
The best reason for giving a child the supports of a psyciatrist and psycologist is beacause they will interact with your child about the condition he has and over time your child can accept himself and the diagnosis and will have a lot of information and understanding that their is help and that people do care.
When I think of the esteem level my son went into his first psyciatric evaluation
with it brings tears to my eyes. Today he is an exemplary student. Teachers words, not mine, and he has freinds. People really like him. He was always likeable,but the social skill supports and the learning supports ect that he needed to achieve excellance started with evidenced based testing and the
diagnosis.

smallworld

Because my three children require medication (emotional issues were affecting life function), we found psychiatrists who practice integrated care. In other words, these psychiatrists see our kids weekly for psychotherapy and medication management. We felt very strongly that the doctors medicating them should know them well and not just rely on parental input to make important decisions about medication. This arrangement has worked to our advantage because for the most part our kids are medically stable and doing well.

Has your difficult child had any testing?

JLady

A ship lost in the night
I'm not sure what everyone means by testing. We have filled out tons of paperwork from home and the school. I took this paperwork to the pediatrician and to the psycologist. The psycologist also asked a lot of questions and made a diagnosis based on the responses.

The psychiatrist is a child psychiatrist. Should I call ahead and ask if they do more than just medication management?

My son is really doing great in school since starting the medications. He hasn't been in trouble at all. (I use to get calls daily and he only spent 2-3 days a week actually int he classroom because of behavior). The thing that concerns me is how emotional he is on the medications. I don't like it. Is that part of taking the medications or is there help out there?

smallworld

A neuropsychological assessment involves testing your son's IQ, achievement, attention, motor and executive function skills. It does not just involve questionnaires.

What medication is your son taking? What dose? When is he emotional? In what way is he demonstrating this emotional reaction?

JLady

A ship lost in the night
What medication is your son taking? What dose? When is he emotional? In what way is he demonstrating this emotional reaction?

Vyvanse - 20 mg

Emotional usually between 2 & 4 daily. Emotional by crying and saying things like he is always sad; he doesn't have any friends; no is ever going to like him.

He cries and cries and cries. There isn't any consoling him. Then he just snaps out of it and he is fine again.

Yesterday he was great all day except for about an hour.

smallworld

It sounds as if he is experiencing "rebound," a period of time when the the stimulant is wearing off. You should ask the prescribing doctor about it. Either the dose or the medication might not be right.

BusynMember

I find NeuroPsychs superior to both Psychiatrists and plain therapists. But after the neuropsychologist evaluation some kids need medications, and then you have to see a psychiatrist. One person's "good" psychiatrist or therapist can be another one's nightmare. You sometimes have to shop around.

JLady

A ship lost in the night
I just called the school to check on my son. The VP said that he is fine today. Some days he is fine and others he isn't. He has been very attentive since starting the medications and not in trouble once. It's his emotional state that concerns me. I guess because I suffer from depression and I know how horrible that feeling is. The VP said that a lot of 1st graders are emotional.

You think this could just be my kid being a kid? A side he hasn't experienced before? I feel like I'm obsessing about all of this now and maybe reading into it things I shouldn't. Do you do that?

F

flutterbee

I can't comment on the medication issue because we've never had that medication.

But, no one can diagnosis a child in 40 minutes - or an adult for that matter. A good therapist or psychiatrist should spend time evaluating the child - not just use the forms you've filled out. The symptoms of the various disorders overlap and what looks like ADHD could very well be something else - anxiety, hypomania, lots of things. You can't tell in one 40 minute session. Personally, I wouldn't go back to that therapist.

smallworld

Stimulants can exacerbate pre-existing anxiety as a side effect. As I said above, they can also cause "rebound," a period of emotional reactivity when the medication is wearing off in the afternoon.