Do They Think We Are Stupid?

pleez_help

I have learned a lot about IEP's. My difficult child does not have one. I was talking to his counselor yesterday, and he asked me if I had talked to the school yet. I said no, that I was waiting till husband could go with me. Well, this morning I asked the principle what we need to do to get him one. He asked me why? I said, because of his adhd. He then asked if we had a diagnosis? I said yes, since he was in kindergarten. He then tells me that they don't do IEP's just because of adhd. Um, WRONG! I told him that yes they do, it is under TWO FEDERAL LAWS.:faint: "UH UH UH UH I don't know, I will look into it and see." That is what I thought, he knew that I had done my homework and knew what I was talking about. I said that if he didn't want to that I would gladly contact my lawyer. (which I don't have) he don't know that though. I told him to get it done, because we need to do something. difficult child is falling further and further behind. We will see. I will give him till mid week to let me know something. Wish me luck.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Schools do not like IEPs.. they are a lot of work. I am not surprised at all by this reaction, I got it with both my difficult children. Keep pushing!

klmno

IDEA defines Other Health Impaired (OHI) as follows:
“Other Health Impaired means having limited strength, vitality, or alertness, including a heightened
alertness to environmental stimuli, that results in limited alertness with respect to the educational
environment, that—
(a) is due to chronic or acute health problems such as asthma, attention deficit disorder or attention
deficit hyperactivity disorder,
diabetes, epilepsy, a heart condition, hemophilia, lead poisoning,
leukemia, nephritis, rheumatic fever, and sickle cell anemia; and
(b) adversely affects a child’s educational performance” (IDEA sec300.7c9).

Take them this- they know it already- you just need to let them know that they aren't dealing with someone who doesn't have a clue about any of this (like I was at the beginning of it all).