Do you do what's right, or do you do the right thing?

Parker

I guess I usually do what's right most of the time, but sometimes I don't have a choice but to do the right thing. I guess this is why I've reached the pinnacle of my career.

InsaneCdn

Parker... I guess that's a Canadianism... because I get what you're saying.

Translation - do you do what is right, or what is "politically correct"?

Parker

Parker... I guess that's a Canadianism... because I get what you're saying.

Translation - do you do what is right, or what is "politically correct"?
Yes, this is what I mean. Sorry for the confusion.

There are many times in my line of work where I have to do the right thing even though it's not what is right to do. It really sucks but there are other forces( pay grades) above me that make that decision.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Is this a MORAL compas vs Company operation Guidelines argument?

Sorry.......the COG I follow first and foremost is the 10 commandments. If something bucks that? Then it's not worth doing. The consequences for breaking those rules are much higher, and the boss is a lot bigger.

The way I figure it? The guy that wrote them didn't say "Oh Moses...take a memo.'.....He pointed a finger and carved out his rules in stone.

trinityroyal

Parker... I guess that's a Canadianism... because I get what you're saying. Translation - do you do what is right, or what is "politically correct"?
Thanks for the translation, IC. I don't think it's a Canadianism, otherwise I would have understood too ;).

To answer your original question Parker, I try to do what's right. Here's an example: Years ago I had a client who engaged in some fairly shady practices. Nothing downright illegal, but lots of questionable stuff from minor (changing the minutes of meetings to reflect what they wanted rather than what actually took place) to major (throwing another vendor under the bus to shift blame away from the client). The client lead and I butted heads over these and many other issues. There came a point where my contract was abruptly ended about halfway through the term, because I wasn't willing to play.

Turned out to be a wonderful career move in the end. That client is well known in my field, and having been pushed off by them enhanced my reputation with other clients.

muttmeister

I've been described as a pragmatist. I tend to do whatever I have to do to get the job done UNLESS it involves a true moral choice; then I do what my heart tells me is the RIGHT thing to so. In working for somebody else, you put up with a lot of manure. If it is a stupid, low-level mess, I do what the boss tells me even if I don't agree with it; he's paying for it. But I won't compromise my moral principles for any boss. So I guess it depends on what the choice is.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I usually do what feels right in my heart, often after some soul searching if it's a very important decision. I don't generally tend to be politically correct because so often I find political correctlness to be offensive and insulting on so many levels, as if we can't think for ourselves.

Definitely not a Canadian thing...this part of my character has been pointed out to me many times, lol.

Parker

What line of work would present that many tough decisions?
I don't want to divulge my line of work, but I can say that I have a frontline position with the public and that I have several employees, also frontline workers, that I supervise. Because these employees are in the public eye the decisions made when one of them screws up is usually knee jerk reaction rather than logical and compassionate.