Do you have a Kindle or E-Reader?

LittleDudesMom

I have the color Nook from Barnes and Noble - passed easy child my black and white Nook about 2 months ago because several of her English Lit books were e books and much cheaper than those college textbooks! I love my Nook - color or black and white (although the color I can read in bed because it's backlit and don't need an accessory light). Plus Barnes and Noble has a free book every Friday!

Sharon

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I have the latest generation Kindle with the light in the cover; I passed the Kindle 2 down to kt. We both love it & I personally love the cost of most of the books (some prices are set by the publisher - the prices drop considerably when people stopped buying those books tho).

I've downloaded so many books & games for free; I bought Water for Elephants for kt to download for $4.17 compared to the $11.99 in the stores.

I love that I tuck it in my purse & head out the door. It fits that well in a small purse.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Good Grief -

I have a nook - it's a small recess between my fireplace and the wall.

I have kindling - it's the little twigs that fall off the River Birch and we use them to start the roaring fire that I sit in the nook to read by books.

I have an E-reader - E read the book. I'm trying to teach my Hispanic friend it's - HE reads the book. Not E read the book. He's doing much better.

I only would have a pan digital if the camera fell into the pot on the stove.

And KT Mom - I think your thing must be so technical you'd have to spend a year reading a manual to figure out what it even is. Sounds like a nuclear weapon to me. Or if I was Mr. Checkov on the USS Enterprise it would be a Nukelear Wessle.

Ya'll talkin' about electric books right? What is the advantage to having this over just a plain paper back book?

muttmeister

Advantages? I bought mine because I read a lot and when I travel, if I'm going to be gone for several days I end up packing 40 pounds of books. With the Kindle, don't have to do that. One e-reader = about 1000 books and the battery stays charged for several weeks. Also, it fits in my purse so I always have it and if I find myself standing in line or waiting at somebody's office or just with a few down moments to kill, I can pull it out and read where I might not have a real book in my pocket. Also, I read a lot of classics and you can download most of those for free. And new books are cheaper on the e-version than if you buy the actual book. Also there is a function where you can download audio books which are great if you are driving or working in the kitchen (so they tell me - I don't do that much LOL) so you can listen instead of read. Also I live in the sticks and if I want a book that isn't available at the library I have to order it online and wait for it to come a week or so later. If I buy it for my Kindle I can have it in about 2 seconds.
I still buy real books and check real books out of the library and nothing will ever take the place of that but the e-reader does have real advantages in special circumstances and I can't imagine not having it now that I've had one for awhile.

Mom2oddson

What is the advantage to having this over just a plain paper back book?

Well, for a book-oholic like me?....When I finish one book, I don't even have to move to start the next book. It's right there in my hand. And when I want a new book? It comes to me! I don't have to order it on-line and wait for it to arrive or go to the store and get it. Those two things are what I like the best! Oh and it's great for reading at lunchtime. I don't have to hold it open and try to eat at the same time. I just prop it up on my typing stand and enjoy.

I got my kindle for a Christmas present and I love it. husband thought it would help me get rid of the 10+ big rubbermaid boxes of books that I have in the garage. LOL! Yeah right. I still swing into the used book store at least once a month. I like both the kindle and real books.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Instant gratification for those who love to read -You can eat and read at the same time and not get chocolate on the pages , not to mention I can trade books with friends for two weeks and SO likes it cause I have downloaded the NY Times Crosswords into it for his wait at the doctors offices

And I am doing my part now to save the rain forrests

Marcie

Jody

Oh my goodness. i didn't know there were that many to choose from. They all sound good though. Thank you for all of the information. Can't wait to get mine!!!!!!!

skeeter

I like that I can download ALL the books in a series at once. Ok, it's instant gratification, too, but I really don't like reading a book and at the end realizing it's part of a series. I can now look and make sure to get them all at the same time and read straight through.
And I, too, read fast. When flying, I can't tell you the times I've had to purchase another book in an airport because I finished the ones I had with me.
I've downloaded my "favorites" and a lot of classics that I've read numerous times (and owned in print). But now they are always with me.

And like others - we had WAY too many books in this house. We've downsized to just a few bookshelves.

H

HaoZi

And if you do a loan out to a friend, you never have to fret that they'll lose it, forget to bring it back (I've gone through many copies of books that way), their dog eats it, whatever.

Steely

:faint:But MY books - the nostalgic ones with paper that happily remind me of memories? What is going to happen to them??? And libraries. And all the jobs that were held at bookstores. So sad, so sad.
:consoling: