Do you 'lock' your smartphone? Personal Security warning

Marg's Man

I'll bet that most of you with iPhones and other smart phones don't have some of security to prevent the contents of the phone being accessed should you lose it, or even just leave it lying around where some of our criminally inclined difficult child's can get at them.

This article from a Sydney newspaper shows the risks:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...dont-have-a-password-lock-20110310-1bov1.html

My phone is dumb, I just want to make calls and track my appointments, there's nothing else on it. I know Marg's is a smart-phone (even if it is not waterproof). I also knows she doesn't lock it unless it is switched off - which almost never. What about the rest of you; are you part of that 54%?

Marg's Man

tiredmommy

husband has an I-Phone... it times out in a minute or two of inactivity and requires a password to access the apps once it has timed out or been turned off. That's the same set-up we have on Duckie's IPod Touch.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have a "smart" phone... That has very little in it that's valuable. Phone numbers... Of course, mine's not as smart as others.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
My Droid times out after 3 minutes and then I have to enter a certain pattern to get it to unlock - I mess that up and I have to wait I think 5 minutes or so and try again. Its a pain in the tush to keep having to unlock it. I don't "bank" via phone (is that really necessary when after all, it is a PHONE so I can easily call them) so really other than some apps, the only thing that I use are phone numbers, the camera, and a link to Facebook and once in a while I text

My boys are techno geeks and have their phones set up so it will turn on their computers, TV's and probably could go to the bathroom for them if they so desired. Too much overkill for me.

Marcie

svengandhi

I have a dumb phone. It only has a few numbers on it and no internet access. I fail to see why I should pay to access the internet when I have perfectly good computers at home and work.

muttmeister

I have a "dumb phone" too, although I'll probably upgrade when my contract is up. My stupid phone is locked after it's been turned off. The first time it did that I had to go to the phone place to get it unlocked as they hadn't told me it would do that. I don't have anything on my phone that is important. Even my home phone is listed under the dog's name, although I guess you are supposed to list an emergency number in case you are in an accident or something.

DammitJanet

I have a smart phone for the first time ever. There is nothing in there that they would be at all interested in getting. I dont think videos of Justin Bieber would count, no would videos of Keyana at the circus or her dance classes...lol. Im sure they are better at navigation than I am.

One thing I do want to get is those titanium wallets I have seen on TV. Number one, Tony is so hard on his wallets and number two, no one can do those walking scans of your cards through them. I doubt anyone is that sophisticated yet down here but you never know when we travel, especially up near Jamie. Im thinking of getting several of them. 4 at least. One of me, Tony, Billy and Jamie. Cory would just lose it. He cant keep up with a wallet to save his life unless you glue it to his body. Maybe this one could be glued to him though...lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay what do you think about your TV? Do you think that someone can SEE INTO your home from those new televisions and cable boxes? We had something very, very odd happen one night that made us ALL wonder if this is possible.

*yes I am inherently paranoid.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If they can see into my house from the cable box/DVR?

Let's see - upstairs. Spoiled children. Making a mess of the living room.

Downstairs... husband and I sleeping... Ooh