Do you miss anything that technology took away?

BusynMember

I miss newspapers. I worked for two. Every morning I would get my paper and read eith my coffee. The news was not so exaggerated back then and i really loved the classified ads, which i also miss. Now I quit watching the news or reading about it online. It is biased and largely opinion and I dont like that.

I miss paper books. I admit I switched mostly to Kindle but I loved snuggling up to a good book. As part of my minimizing AND the cost, I buy very few paper books. Sometimes I still go to our library.

I miss how easy it used to be to apply for a job. You walked into a company and filled out an application and ofen were hired right away. It is much harder snd more time comsuming to apply now. Plus you are competing with people far away, from California to India. Makes it very hard.

I miss how you had to actually talk to somebody to communicate. Sure, I love my smart phone. But it has minimized true communication.

You?

Pink Elephant

Oh... another super-great topic, SOT! Love it!

I miss newspapers, too. I tend to get the news over the net now, and still occasionally tune into the news hour on television, but I find news in general brings me down, because seldom is there anything positive in it's content, so I tend to veer away from news.

I miss old-fashioned milk delivery, which store-bought milk has replaced. Just seeing the milk truck make it's rounds with the open doors, and the way the driver could enter and exit on either side of the truck was neat. Such a recognizable sight, and the driver always gave us a toot on the horn and waved at us kids.

Old-fashioned diaper service and delivery. My mom never used such, nor did I, but I do remember the service truck driving around town and through neighbourhoods making it's rounds. Baby Pants Diaper Service, or something like that was the name of the service in our town. The truck was all white, with the flat sides, and a string of diapers was painted on it's sides, as if the diapers were drying on a line. Oh, and I remember a big diaper pin painted on the sides, too. The introduction and popularity of disposable diapers were the demise of such service.

Old-fashioned landlines. So many have gotten rid of their landlines and in turn, they are no longer listed in the book, so contact has been lost with so many.

I don't know... are there full-service gas stations anymore? I remember them as a kid, pulling up to the pumps and having a man come out and gas the car up while washing the windshield.

I also miss when everything was closed on Sunday, though not so much technology, but rather, corporate greed.

Also miss record shops. How I used to love to visit our record shop once a week and flip through the hundreds of albums.

I know a few of mine border on progression through the eras rather than the introduction of technology, but I still felt they were worth mentioning.

BusynMember

Good list, Pink.

I also could spend hours at record stores. Heck, my dad sold 45s at his pharmacy and would always let me buy some. It was so sweet to listen to a new record!

Now this is kind of changing the thread a little. Sorry!

Bullying in a very mean and horrible way has exploded since social media. I admit I dont love social media Nor do my kids. Only my husband has an active FB account and his is very innocent.

Bullying was always bad if you were targeted at school, but you at least knew you were safe from the bullies in your home. At least the SCHOOL bullies. I loathe that now bullies can follow kids everywhere and in the worst way.

When i worked at Applebees, a sweet girl had what sermed like a very nice boyfriend. He came to visit with flowers and smiles. One day she received a video on her phone of her boyfriend having graphic sex with another girl. She was only 16.

Two days later this girl slit her wrist and was in the hospital for a while.

Before social media you could hear bad things, but I think seeing themtas a surprise is worse. This stuff happens all the time.

For the sakes of our younger ones, I miss the days when you could live your life without these big intrusions.

I am proud of my kids for dumping FB. Jumper still has an account but barely uses it. The others all took their accounts down.

I have mine up but never post. Mostly it is just dog rescue.

Bullying onli e has lead to some suicides. Nothing is private anymore.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Think it's great adding some other things that directly relate to the old and change. :)

Love your list, SOT.

The bullying thing is a sort of reverse technology addition, because instead of bullying being forgotten about through change, it's front and centre today. Love it. Where was protection for children and others back in the 60's and 70's? Even 80's and 90's? Nice to see zero tolerance for such nowadays.

BusynMember

Plenty of bullying still goes on. And it follows the kids home. As one who was badly bullied, I am not sure how todays bullied kids manage it with no break at home. Or work. Or anywhere.

Pink Elephant

But at least it's dealt with more sternly and with more integrity today than it was yesteryear. I like to think outsiders are more willing to get involved nowadays as well.

BusynMember

I sure hope so, Pink. I really do. It used to be so horrible, done right in front of teachers and all the other kids and with no consequences.My brother was picked on too...his illness caused him to be small and thin and sometimes to throw up and he was a poor athlete. I truly think bad memories in Chicago is partly why he left for the East. I think I recall my mother telling me this, but its foggy...long ago. But being bullied as a kid and teen is no fun.

I think there are deterents today, including the police. And the teachers certainly dont join in like they did sometimes back in the day.

However, at least there was no cyberbullying. At least the kids could not follow you home.

There are only so many things the school can do. Plenty goes on between kids that adults never know about.

Pink Elephant

We've had family that have personally intervened when it came to bullying in school (their kids), including unannounced visits to the homes of the kids doing the bullying. 100% success rate.

AppleCori

I definitely don’t miss landlines!

I was in Iowa using the last few election cycles, and didn’t have a land line for only the last one.

It was so much more pleasant not to have the phone ringing off the hook all day from pollsters and election workers wanting info or reminding me to vote. I can remember to vote all by myself....

Hubby had the same landline number for decades. The first election cycle after I moved in, someone called from some election campaign asking for hubby’s ex. I just told them that she didn’t live here anymore (wrong wording, obviously!) and the person started admonishing me to go find her and make sure she voted for their candidate!

I told her that both of us would definitely vote AGAINST her candidate and hung up. Never heard from them again....

KTMom91

We still have a landline. Technology keeps me in touch with Miss KT, who is 800 miles away, my dad, several cousins, and lots and lots of friends that I wouldn't have if not for technology (like this site). My cell phone is my alarm clock, we have some crazy automated light system that Hubby put in (that I don't know how to work), but I can't think of anything I've lost by technology.

Pink Elephant

We still have a landline and always will. It's bad enough that I'm old enough to have witnessed the loss of the dial telephone, but no one is taking my landline away from me. I still fancy having an old-fashioned phone in the house. :)

AppleCori

We still have a landline and always will. It's bad enough that I'm old enough to have witnessed the loss of the dial telephone, but no one is taking my landline away from me. I still fancy having an old-fashioned phone in the house. :)

My grandmother had her rotary dial phone into the 90’s, I believe.

Those things lasted forever!

AppleCori

Do you have a cell phone, too, Pink?

My mom still has a landline (they also have a cell ) because she retired from the phone company and they give her a landline for free. She prefers the landline and doesn’t use the cell except as a last resort.

One thing about not having a landline (that I didn’t anticipate) was that I have to make sure my daughter has a phone at home if I leave her alone in the house for some reason.

BusynMember

Oh!!!; Ok!!! :)

Well, i like and have them all. I like being able to take my phone with me. Makes me feel safe :)

I can get pictures, contact people fast, i always feel connected to my loved ones.

Smart TV is less of a deal. We dont use the smart part much.