Pink Elephant

Milk man brought milk to your house

Some had a bread man too

Grandparents had a farm we got to ride on the horse that pulled the wagon

Colored chicks at easter

Penny candy

Home made ice cream that you had to churn

Home made food

I remember many of the things others mentioned as well.
I remember a great aunt making homemade, churned ice cream for us one summer, and wow, was it ever yummy!

As for eating out at restaurants, I find I can cook everything that restaurants turn-out, but I know what goes into the food I make, and I also know the fastidiousness that I apply when handling food, which the same definitely cannot be said for restaurants, and everything I turn-out tastes WAY better than restaurant prepared.

As for restaurants, I think the prices have gone WAY too far over the deep end today, and we simply refuse to pay such high costs for such sub-standard meals.

BusynMember

I must have been very sheltered in suburbia. I never heard of a cigarette rolling machine let alone seen one. A few family members smoked long ago, but bought cigarettes. Then eventually everyone quit.

I have zero memory of anyone using cloth diapers when I had Bart. None. Nobody. I sure didn't have any desire to use them.

We rarely use restaurants. Too expensive. Poor quality food too. Applebee's, where I worked, had no healthy choices on the menu and I dont like junk food, salt, bad fats and a lot of sugar. If I am going to pay, give me a wholesome option.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We eat out about once every two weeks - it's a way to spend time with my parents. But you're right, SWOT, most of the choices are TERRIBLE for you. My parents LIKE Applebee's. I usually opted for the salads... Better than a gut bomb. But homemade food - I try to make a homemade dinner at least 5 nights a week.

Pink Elephant

I must have been very sheltered in suburbia. I never heard of a cigarette rolling machine let alone seen one. A few family members smoked long ago, but bought cigarettes. Then eventually everyone quit.

I have zero memory of anyone using cloth diapers when I had Bart. None. Nobody. I sure didn't have any desire to use them.

We rarely use restaurants. Too expensive. Poor quality food too. Applebee's, where I worked, had no healthy choices on the menu and I dont like junk food, salt, bad fats and a lot of sugar. If I am going to pay, give me a wholesome option.
Those old cigarette rolling machines were the coolest thing! You purchased empty cigarette tubes (filter-tip), then filled the slide with loose tobacco, slipped the cigarette tube into the cylinder, then pushed a handle across and over the slide where the loose tobacco was, and out came a cigarette that was every bit as factory looking as a store-bought cigarette.

I knew a heap of mothers that used cloth diapers when my kids were little, especially in our first (old neighbourhood). I'm not going to go as far as saying our neighbourhood was ghetto, but it was the lowest priced real-estate in town, not a desirable location, and most homes and yards were not well kept. We bought there to get our foot in the door as far as building equity. Nevertheless, there were many of us that used cloth diapers in that old neighbourhood, and I'm talkin' the old-fashioned large sheet styled diapers with pull-on rubber pants and safety pins.

When I was busy raising two grandchildren and using cloth diapers, I don't recall anyone still doing the same. Most mothers I knew (by the late 80's and early 90's), had long made the switch to disposable diapers.

susiestar

Roll With It
I know my brother and I came along when Pampers were fairly new on the market. My mother says she used them like a prescription if either of us got a bad diaper rash. Otherwise it was cloth all the way. I remember babysitting for one neighbor who used cloth diapers.

I remember making homemade ice cream while visiting my aunt and uncle one summer. They had a hand crank machine. It was an awful lot of work. I vastly prefer an electric ice cream maker!!

I can remember one of my aunt's neighbors rolling cigarettes with a machine. My brother and cousin used to sneak them from him. He also made moonshine. I was 7 when he gave me a taste. It cured me of wanting to try it ever again!!! He was a funny little old man though, and had great stories. I don't think my mother and my aunt had any idea that he was giving us the things he was.

Pink Elephant

I know my brother and I came along when Pampers were fairly new on the market. My mother says she used them like a prescription if either of us got a bad diaper rash. Otherwise it was cloth all the way. I remember babysitting for one neighbor who used cloth diapers.

I remember making homemade ice cream while visiting my aunt and uncle one summer. They had a hand crank machine. It was an awful lot of work. I vastly prefer an electric ice cream maker!!

I can remember one of my aunt's neighbors rolling cigarettes with a machine. My brother and cousin used to sneak them from him. He also made moonshine. I was 7 when he gave me a taste. It cured me of wanting to try it ever again!!! He was a funny little old man though, and had great stories. I don't think my mother and my aunt had any idea that he was giving us the things he was.
Susie. I like the way you put it, like a prescription.

Pampers weren't around when I was a baby, but they sure were when my children came along, yet not one of my kids ever wore a disposable diaper on their bottoms. Always cloth diapers when I babysat, too.

I have always wanted an ice cream maker, but just never seem to get around to getting serious about buying one, probably... because I know what I'd be setting myself up for. LOL!

Goodness, I remember wetting my lips once with a little moonshine and egads, it reminded me of gasoline.

BusynMember

This is off topic but I remember when in order to curl my hair, I had to wear either rock hard or spongy rollers, sometimes with Bobby pins. I also remember when my best friend had to wrap her hair to straighten it, and some girls even ironed their hair. And some boys used perms (see the dad in Brady Bunch).

On the topic of fashion, that reminds me of school. I remember greasers (with black leather coats and grease on hair and Uber make up and high heels and short skirts for girls), freaks/hippies (mostly richer drug users that generations difficult kids who were given every advantage), preps/jocks and queers (this is what we called nerds. It had nothing to do with sexual orientation, which was not yet something discussed). Then there were those of us who didn't belong to any group. This was me. I sort of dressed a little hippie like but I NEVER did drugs, not even pot.

The Nam war and boys getting college exemptions from parents if they didn't want to go. In my neighborhood it was not considered a good thing to go. Every boy from my neighborhood, smart or not, was in college to avoid Nam.

Long hair on boys. I am not sure this lonet hair ever really disappeared.

Pink Elephant

This is off topic but I remember when in order to curl my hair, I had to wear either rock hard or spongy rollers, sometimes with Bobby pins. I also remember when my best friend had to wrap her hair to straighten it, and some girls even ironed their hair. And some boys used perms (see the dad in Brady Bunch).

On the topic of fashion, that reminds me of school. I remember greasers (with black leather coats and grease on hair and Uber make up and high heels and short skirts for girls), freaks/hippies (mostly richer drug users that generations difficult kids who were given every advantage), preps/jocks and queers (this is what we called nerds. It had nothing to do with sexual orientation, which was not yet something discussed). Then there were those of us who didn't belong to any group. This was me. I sort of dressed a little hippie like but I NEVER did drugs, not even pot.

The Nam war and boys getting college exemptions from parents if they didn't want to go. In my neighborhood it was not considered a good thing to go. Every boy from my neighborhood, smart or not, was in college to avoid Nam.

Long hair on boys. I am not sure this lonet hair ever really disappeared.
I remember fussing with rollers and Bobby pins, too! :)

svengandhi

I just found this thread - what fun.

We didn't have names for the groups in my HS. I was in HS in the mid 70's and when Fonzie named "nerds," my friend group adopted it for ourselves.

I lived in a housing project growing up but we had a washing machine in the apartment. Then, the wet clothing was put out on a portable dryer in the living room, which was an X shaped device with rows and you would put the clothing on it. My mom ironed a ton also, with starch, but never taught me.

We only had a black and white TV until I was in college. I remember so vividly the first time I saw the Yellow Brick Road in color. Remember, they would show The Wizard of Oz once a year in late February? I also remember the little "C" in TV Guide. I remember asking my mom once what her favorite TV show was when she was a kid and she said they didn't have TV. I said oh, were you always poor? and she said, yes, but what I meant is that TV wasn't invented yet! In the mid-90's, when my oldest son was about 4, he asked me what my favorite videotape was when I was his age. I said I didn't have any videotapes and he said, were you really poor, Mommy? and i said, yes, but what I meant is that videotapes hadn't been invented yet! Recently my son said to me that he imagines his someday child will ask him what his favorite something (Youtube video or the like) from when he was small was and the family joke will continue.

I don't remember rubber pants and cloth diapers. I was obviously a cloth diaper kid but my only sibling is only 2 years younger and I didn't babysit infants so I never changed a diaper until oldest son was born in 1990. I do remember that they had blue diapers for boys and pink for girls. I also remember the pad holders, they were so gross. My mom let me try tampons when I was 12 and I did it wrong and we had to go to the ER to get it taken out. I didn't use a tampon again until after I had children.

I hula hooped at my wedding. I loved my clackers and my skip it. Does anyone remember the cap guns with the red pieces of paper with gunpowder that you would shoot from them?

I remember my father pitching a fit because gas was 26 cents a gallon! I remember that he had to pay extra to have rear seatbelts installed in our new car. I remember the ashtray behind the passenger seat. We were rear ended and my sister's face hit the ashtray. She got money from a lawsuit and I decided to become a lawyer.

In the mid-80's when I began working, people smoked in the office. I didn't but I used to shower as soon as I walked in the door at night. Work smells so much better now.

Pink Elephant

I just found this thread - what fun.

We didn't have names for the groups in my HS. I was in HS in the mid 70's and when Fonzie named "nerds," my friend group adopted it for ourselves.

I lived in a housing project growing up but we had a washing machine in the apartment. Then, the wet clothing was put out on a portable dryer in the living room, which was an X shaped device with rows and you would put the clothing on it. My mom ironed a ton also, with starch, but never taught me.

We only had a black and white TV until I was in college. I remember so vividly the first time I saw the Yellow Brick Road in color. Remember, they would show The Wizard of Oz once a year in late February? I also remember the little "C" in TV Guide. I remember asking my mom once what her favorite TV show was when she was a kid and she said they didn't have TV. I said oh, were you always poor? and she said, yes, but what I meant is that TV wasn't invented yet! In the mid-90's, when my oldest son was about 4, he asked me what my favorite videotape was when I was his age. I said I didn't have any videotapes and he said, were you really poor, Mommy? and i said, yes, but what I meant is that videotapes hadn't been invented yet! Recently my son said to me that he imagines his someday child will ask him what his favorite something (Youtube video or the like) from when he was small was and the family joke will continue.

I don't remember rubber pants and cloth diapers. I was obviously a cloth diaper kid but my only sibling is only 2 years younger and I didn't babysit infants so I never changed a diaper until oldest son was born in 1990. I do remember that they had blue diapers for boys and pink for girls. I also remember the pad holders, they were so gross. My mom let me try tampons when I was 12 and I did it wrong and we had to go to the ER to get it taken out. I didn't use a tampon again until after I had children.

I hula hooped at my wedding. I loved my clackers and my skip it. Does anyone remember the cap guns with the red pieces of paper with gunpowder that you would shoot from them?

I remember my father pitching a fit because gas was 26 cents a gallon! I remember that he had to pay extra to have rear seatbelts installed in our new car. I remember the ashtray behind the passenger seat. We were rear ended and my sister's face hit the ashtray. She got money from a lawsuit and I decided to become a lawyer.

In the mid-80's when I began working, people smoked in the office. I didn't but I used to shower as soon as I walked in the door at night. Work smells so much better now.
Wow! What a totally awesome reply! :)

Oh yes, I remember my mom starching the collars of dress shirts for my dad when ironing!

I also remember the cap guns that not only used the red paper that exploded, but the cap guns that shot out plastic bullets! My baby brother had one! I also remember the cap guns with the cylinder type caps made out of plastic.

Yes, we had clackers as kids, which I'm sure drove my parents nuts! LOL!

As for coloured disposable diapers, I remember those, too! I think Luvs made them. Call me old-fashioned, but what a marketing gimmick coloured diapers were. Anything to get mothers to buy them.

I remember wearing pads that came in a big blue box. Those old pads were as bulky as babies diapers. So yucky and uncomfortable to wear. Anyhow, with those big old diaper-like pads, we used safety pins to secure them. How times have changed.

Absolutely, totally agree, public places are way nicer now that smoking is no longer allowed.

KTMom91

Has anyone mentioned colored toilet paper to match the bathroom? My Granny was a very organized, well put together woman, and her pink bathroom always had either pink paper or white with pink roses.

Snapping green beans on the back steps.

Running through the sprinklers all summer long because no one had a pool.

BusynMember

Teeter totters to play on which are banned from many parks.

No umbrella strollers. No car seats, although I support their use. Tape recorders. I would sing and listen for hours. Jumpropes for kids. Marbles. Chinese jump ropes. Pantyhose. People didn't care much about exercising or know about healthy food. Not a gym on every corner. I support fitness too but nobody knew much about it back then. Lots more smokers and no understanding of the health risks .

I remember when, at least in my area, mom's stayed at home with their minor children. Many woman did not drive. Men didn't do housework (that wouldn't fly now...lol).

Ah just some thoughts from my old days.

Pink Elephant

I also remember the pad holders, they were so gross. My mom let me try tampons when I was 12 and I did it wrong and we had to go to the ER to get it taken out. I didn't use a tampon again until after I had children.
I never did use tampons... ever. I hated the thought of them, so stuck it out with old-fashioned pads.

Pink Elephant

Has anyone mentioned colored toilet paper to match the bathroom? My Granny was a very organized, well put together woman, and her pink bathroom always had either pink paper or white with pink roses.

Snapping green beans on the back steps.

Running through the sprinklers all summer long because no one had a pool.
OMG... coloured toilet paper! Yes, I totally remember it! And what an (in) thing it was! EVERYONE had coloured/patterned toilet paper in their bathrooms! LOL! What a phase that was!

Running through sprinklers was the best! Back when no water restrictions applied.

I also remember backyard picnics, where mom would lay-out a quilt, pull-together a few sandwiches and snacks for us kids, and there we'd sit, have our own little picnic!

Pink Elephant

Teeter totters to play on which are banned from many parks.

No umbrella strollers. No car seats, although I support their use. Tape recorders. I would sing and listen for hours. Jumpropes for kids. Marbles. Chinese jump ropes. Pantyhose. People didn't care much about exercising or know about healthy food. Not a gym on every corner. I support fitness too but nobody knew much about it back then. Lots more smokers and no understanding of the health risks .

I remember when, at least in my area, mom's stayed at home with their minor children. Many woman did not drive. Men didn't do housework (that wouldn't fly now...lol).

Ah just some thoughts from my old days.
I didn't realize teeter-totters have been banned from parks. Wow, just wow! What a namby-pamby society we live in, with a bunch of namby-pamby people drafting up asinine laws such as this one.

No baby car seats, no umbrella strollers, and no disposable baby bottles, I remember all of those, just as I do marbles, jump-rope, and pantyhose!

I was the stereotypical housewife/mother that smoked. Days were spent swinging my cigarette back and forth as I moved from room to room in the house doing things, and when I could get away with it, I'd perform chores and duties with a cigarette dangling from my mouth, chores such as hanging laundry out on the clothesline, folding laundry, even changing diapers!

I know all about men not doing housework, which, if they work outside the home, and the wife/mother is at home (fulltime), they shouldn't have to, but still, little things such as changing diapers, preparing a bottle, or helping with other simple tasks, isn't difficult to do, however, men (back in the day) didn't even do that.

I remember my mom and I changing the diapers of baby siblings, while dad sat at the kitchen table reading the newspaper or snoring on the couch with the television on. Dad never change a single diaper in all the time us kids were little. Don't remember other dads changing diapers either, and even in the homes I babysat at, it was the moms who dealt with the diapers.