Do You See A Therapist?

B

Bunny

I'm new to this forum (I just joined last week) and I wanted to ask a question. Do you, as the parents of the difficult kids, see your own therapist to help you cope? We have been struggling with difficult child's anxiety and ODD behavior for quite a few years now and I started to see my own therapist recently to help me and I was wondering if I was the only one.

Thanks for your answers.

Jena

Bunny welcome and no i'm soo sure you aren't the only one! I personally need therapy desperately lol yet right now here is my therapy and i should cut a chk to everyone here :)

yet taking care of you is soo healthy and great, our kids although we love them can suck us dry and really tap our energy on levels we never knew. so good for you!!

welcome again! you have found a great place~!

if you want just add a signature at the bottom, explaining you, kids, etc. :)

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I need to and really should find my own. How is it going so far? Do you think it is helping? I would think it would help in a couple ways; giving you an outlet to talk it all out, plus possibly getting new ideas to help you with your child. Let us know how it's working for you.

Jules

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Absolutely. I don't think I could have survived without my own therapy. The biggest problem, however, was finding/making time for therapy appointments for myself when my difficult children were at their worst. Sometimes I was so overwhelmed with getting them to appointments it was hard to find time for my own.

B

Bunny

I started seeing this therapist 10 years ago when I lost my parents in a sudden accident, but over this summer I knew that I needed help and called her to see if I could go and talk to her again. It is a relief because I can say things in her office that I would never say anywhere else. I saw her for the first time since difficult child's diagnosis lastg week and just talking to her made me feel a little lighter. I know it will be the right thing for me to have someone outside the family to help me cope. Thanks.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Definitely! Everyone in our immediate family has been in counseling off and on for years, since my girls were around 8 and 10. There were times we went as a family, as a couple, as parent and child, as only the children and only one child at a time. It was difficult child's behaviors that made us seek therapy because I thought I was doing something terribly wrong - how in the world could two kids raised in the same house be as different as night and day and why was this one child just throwing wild temper tantrums like I'd never seen before....omg, we had so many questions. We really lucked out with our first therapist. But then she retired and we struggled with others over the years, but some were very good, when we could get difficult child to go. I am currently the only one who goes to counseling at this time and I really value my time with the therapist! I am actually on a break since mid-summer and will start again soon. difficult child would now like to try it again, but has not made finding the right one a priority. H will go but ends up only saying what he thinks they want to hear. easy child went and should continue to go, but she would rather spend her money at American Eagle so she hasn't returned. I am hoping she does before she self destructs.

I think it's great that you have an outlet, someone to talk to, bounce ideas off us or just vent. Yeah for taking care of you!!!!

Marguerite

I don't see my own therapist at the moment but I have done in the past. Different people, different times. Sometimes I cope well and can work it out for myself. And sometimes I've realised that for various reasons, I'm out of my depth and need help. It's always important to feel free to go get help when you know you can't handle it all yourself.

difficult child 3 has his own therapist. She is working on his need to detach and to also organise himself better (especially with sleep). She helps him adapt to change, we often modify what to work on as priorities change.

But I know she is not there for me in any way. I have to find my own outlet.

Marg