Do you talk to your pet(s)?

cubsgirl

I talk to my two kitties all the time. I'm not even conscious about it most of the time, it just comes naturally..LOL.

It's driving husband nuts and he says "normal" people don't talk to their pets like people. It really makes him crazy. I try not to talk so much when he's around but the cats are like my 3rd and 4th children.

Anyone else or have I completely lost it :)

InsaneCdn

Well, now, I'm not sure about what kind of person would talk to kitties.
But to dogs?
Everybody knows that dogs understand what we say.
They really DO listen, and they really DO care.
Talk to them? Of course we talk to them.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I talk to my dogs like my best friends.

The only thing I say to the EVIL QUEEN is ---------GET OUT OF MY PLANTS, OMG NOT ON THE COUCH, - and GET OUT OF MY HOUSE......OMG there is no conversation with such an evil, wicked, horrible manipulative, Fiesta Cat. Twitchy tail flicking devil.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I talk to my pups all the time, so does H and my girls too! They do understand us and I don't see how people can pretend that pets don't have emotions like humans do.

cubsgirl

I talk to my pups all the time, so does H and my girls too! They do understand us and I don't see how people can pretend that pets don't have emotions like humans do.

Exactly! I know my kitties understand at least some of what I am saying and I know they have feelings too. One of them will even come when called like a dog.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL!

I've talked to my cats and dogs since I was little!

They listen, never talk back, and love you no matter what you tell them.

Your husband isn't much of a pet person, is he...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pootie has such a huge vocabulary if I say "LOOK AUnt Becky sent you a picture of Chester!!" She will look directly at the phone and wag.....NOT KIDDING.....and she gets these dreamy eyes every time she sees her loves picture. Or hears AUNT BECKY.....lol. She wubs them both.

I've always talked to my pets. I talk to my favorite sanity saver all the time. We understand each other perfectly. If husband and I are talking and so much as mention the word dog, or her name, she immediately comes over to us, has to join in the conversation. When husband and I talk, it's so funny to watch her. When husband says something, she looks at him, when I say something, she looks at me. I was told years ago that it's unusual for a dog to have as much eye contact as she does. She's perfected the art of nonverbal communication. I know I'm just rambling on and on and on, etc... I just love my dog so much!!! Your husband would probably think I'm way past the point of crazy, lol... by the way, my husband talks to our dog almost as much as I do. I guess he's over the top nuts too... SFR

Pootie has such a huge vocabulary if I say "LOOK AUnt Becky sent you a picture of Chester!!" She will look directly at the phone and wag.....NOT KIDDING.....and she gets these dreamy eyes every time she sees her loves picture. Or hears AUNT BECKY.....lol. She wubs them both.

I totally believe you!! When I used to ask my favorite sanity saver if she wanted to go visit Dr. , her vet, she used to get all excited, run to the back door and tug at her leash.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ummm...........I talk to all animals like they're people. I have since I was a little girl. Some more than others.........but yeah.

Maybe I'm just weird, but most domesticated animals have a rather large vocabulary, even if they're not mine. But I've had conversations with squirrels, racoons, possums........a few turtles, a mole, a lizard or two, birds of various types, even fish. Insects.....I've tried but I think they're on a whole other wave length or something. lol

Every dog I've ever had in my life has had an extensive vocabulary, even those who stay outside 99 percent of the time (so you can't just excuse it as exposure to the words per se). Same with cats....although they're the most stubborn bull headed creatures I've ever met. They do NOT take no for an answer most of the time so we butt heads.

Mrs. Raccoon and I came to an agreement where she could dig through my trash for scraps IF she didn't make a mess. She never has made a mess, neatest raccoon I've ever met. I'd never have dreamed one could talk to a reptile until Nichole's first turtle, which was a baby snapping turtle named Squirt (released when he was bigger and able to fend off predators on his own).....that lil bugger, and Carmen her red slider turtle came to their names and loved to sit and listen to you talk to them. lol Fish aren't the brightest creatures, but if you tell them it's dinner time they'll all swim to one side of the tank.

I've not yet managed a conversation with the deer who seem intent on feeding in my fenced in backyard.......so far they're too skiddish......but I keep warning them one time Mr Rowdy might be out of his kennel and they'll be in for a big surprise. I don't think they're too scared. Rowdy has been visiting with this particular herd for years, since we lived around the block. lol

Animals talk to each other too. The dogs have a squirrel couple that are their friends. They play all the time. Squirrels live in a huge old tree in the neighbors yard......they'll run along the privacy fence to my back porch roof, chattering to the dogs the whole way.......back and forth each playing and chasing each other. husband used to tell me if one fell the dogs would tear it apart. I told him hogwash, they're friends. Well.........one day one of them fell mid play and it stunned him. The dogs stopped dead in their tracks. Sat down and waited for him to shake it off and to get back up onto the fence again to play. husband couldn't believe it. I've also had stray cats reach an agreement with a possum to share food and sleep together, now that one shocked me. lol

And the dogs will always tell me if there is a baby animal in trouble, makes no difference what it is...........nor will they hurt it, they tend to protect it until I get there.

Cub's girl, you're husband is missing out on a vast part of the world around him with his closed minded thinking. A shame. You just keep right on enjoying it. :)

cubsgirl

Cub's girl, you're husband is missing out on a vast part of the world around him with his closed minded thinking. A shame. You just keep right on enjoying it. :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you Hound Dog - that's exactly what I'm talking about. Step is right he's not a pet person but he does have two parrots that are messy and noisy and he loves them - but he never talks to them. I do and I don't even like them that much. I just tend to start a conversation with whoever is closest to me - animal or person :) Thanks for the affirmations everyone!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Of all the critters, I do talk to the cats and the chickens -- probably because the constantly want to be near me and they tend to respond when I talk to them. The birds will sit at the back sliding glass door and look inside for me. The cats will jump up in my lap or find a convenient box next to my feet to lay in or walk across the keyboard when I'm at the computer or follow me into the bathroom or up the stairs or into bed. The fish, reptiles and crustaceans, not so much. I think the rest of my family does the same with regard to conversation with critters.

StressedM0mma

Not only do we all talk to our dogs, we make the dogs talk back to us. They each have their own voice. I do talk to both of my dogs. They are such good boys. They both have such a calming effect. difficult child's dog is great. He knows just when to curl around you and snuggle in. He will also put his paws on your shoulders and give you a hug. Not to mention all of the kisses. Our older guy is much more stoic, but he will lie down and let you bury your face in his side and cry, talk scream whatever you need. I am not sure what our family would do with out our boys.

donna723

OMG! Of course I talk to them! We have regular conversations and I not only do my part of it, I do their part too! I have four inside dogs and we are extremely bonded. I talk to them like they were people and they respond appropriately. I have Bostons and they are very intelligent anyway but one of them, Katy (in my avatar), is a regular doggie Einstein! Before I got her she was raised alone in a pen with the intent of her being a breeder :sigh:- which she wasn't very good at, thank God! She was isolated from other dogs and her only contact was with people. And as a result, she has no use for other dogs, never learned to play with other dogs, but she is absolutely crazy about people - Katy loves everybody! She is sooo smart and sooo totally intuned with me! When I talk to her she looks me right in the eye and she listens very carefully and I can tell by her responses that she understands every word I say! If she loses her favorite ball and I've seen it in the dining room, I can tell her to go look in the dining room ... and she does! If her ball goes under the sofa and she needs my help to get it out, I'll ask her to show me where it is, and she gets down on the floor on her stomach and points with her nose to exactly where it is! But if the ball goes under the recliner, she doesn't try to get it out herself. She will put her paw on the handle that raises the foot rest while looking right at me and making little noises. I raise the foot rest and she crawls under and gets her ball! That's not just dumb instinct, that's real intelligence! Most people underestimate how intelligent they really are and how much they understand.

Anyone who spends any time closely observing dogs will see that they are distinct little individuals with their own personalities, as different from each other as people are. And they may not be worrying about their 401k's or the price of unleaded, but they absolutely feel the same range of emotions that people do ... love, happiness, joy, sadness, lonliness, anxiety, fear, worry and grief.