Do you think its wrong to get second hand toys for Xmas

DammitJanet

I was just browsing through Craigslist tonight for kicks and giggles tonight and saw a ton of what looks like some fairly nice toys on there for very cheap prices. I could get much more stuff for the kids if I bought it off there instead of just buying new stuff at Walmart. Now there are two very nice things that I want to get both Keyana and Hailie that I would purchase new but Im thinking if I got the rest of the stuff for like Mikey and Mickey off of Craigslist, I could really save a ton. I dont think Cory would mind because he doesnt think we need to get her much anyway and I have already given her something she loves. A nightlight type thing that goes on the side of the crib that plays music and shines lights up on the ceiling while the music plays. Im sure most moms know what I mean. This one is cute because you can set it to go start playing music if the baby starts fussing to put her back to sleep. Cool!

But on craigslist I could get things like the smartcycle for 30 bucks with 5 games and normally its 50 bucks with no games. Tons more excellent deals too. Would that just be crass?

H

HaoZi

Are they new enough that the kid won't notice? I'd say as long as it's not broken/cracked/chipped badly it shouldn't be a problem. Oh the mom might notice if you don't tell her, but once that kid's eyes light up when she sees it, it's too late.

Check for recalls before you buy, but otherwise if it's in great shape, go for it.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Food, shoes, underwear & bathing suits are about the only things I won't consider used.

If they're in good shape - do it! Honestly, if they are, the kids won't notice or care. My friends and I swap all the time. Last year I gave a bunch of our old games to the BFFs' kids and it was a huge hit!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If it's in impeccable condition, I don't see a problem with it. You would know better if any of the parents would mind...there are some who would in my family, sadly, giving used would never fly with easy child, but difficult child probably wouldn't care at all.

Mattsmom277

I agree. I it's in fine shape it is no problem in my mind. One year Matt needed a new Xbox as his broke and I bought it used for Christmas. $80 instead of over $300 new. It just made sense. Especially with toys that get outgrown so quick.

buddy

If it's crass then I'm guilty for the past several years. I Also got his school clothes at Thrift Stores this year. All clothing for him ...he had nothing due to growth spurts ...and jeans and coats for both of us. All totaled under $80! And many things with tags. It is environmentally better too.

keista

I think it's perfectly fine. ESPECIALLY for the big ticket items.

Kids generally don't care if something is new or used unless they are taught to care. As long as it's a game/toy that they want, they will love it.

TerryJ2

I agree with-the others. Plus, if the kids are old enough, you can ask them what they want and then add, well, I can get a really nice one, used, but if I buy a new one, it has to be bottom of the line. The kids will ALWAYS opt for the upgraded used whatever-it-is. :)

TerryJ2

by the way, I bought a bunch of wine glasses for a friend who got her own apt this yr, and is going through a divorce. (Read: broke.) When she invited me over, we drank wine out of old tumblers. I went to a thrift shop and bought several unmatched, but good crystal glasses for her, between $1 and $5 apiece. She had a party last mo, and those were the only wine glasses she had! Guess what she's getting for Christmas! Plus, coasters ...

keista

IF you don't feel 100% comfortable wrapping used gifts, you can always give the new item as THE Christmas gift, and then present all the used stuff as "some other things I picked up that I thought you might like"

muttmeister

As long as they are in good shape, I think it is a good idea.

Daughter in law told me she and son want an exercise system (P90X) with 13 DVDs. Cost: around $300. I bought a used set, supposedly "like new" for $61 on EBay. If it is like most exercise systems, they won't get around to even watching all 13 DVDs, let alone exercising to them. If they do, more power to them but I figure I saved a good $240 that I can use for something else.

InsaneCdn

Food, shoes, underwear & bathing suits are about the only things I won't consider used.

Plus - anything that a baby is meant to chew on, should probably be new.

Otherwise... the higher the original value, the more chance I'm going to give used.

P

PatriotsGirl

I have done it and it used to be all my sister got her kids (she had six kids and couldn't afford half of them!). I don't see anything wrong with it at all and my kids certainly never minded. I had gotten difficult child a punching bag set used but in perfect condition, and I got easy child Rock Band for his Xbox 360 used. Neither complained one iota and I didn't see the point in paying SO much more for new.....especially with items like the punching bag.....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
One word SANTA.

Santa doesn't have to have packaging because the elves make his toys.

Can you tell I've done it for years? lol Sometimes it is the only way to for fill a xmas wish.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sorry........was on the cell and typing with one hand stinks. Made for an extremely brief post. lol

When I was little, Santa didn't come to my house, not in any real sense of the word. Now we were poor, really poor, but still......even as a child I knew mom could've at least made an effort. If we were extremely lucky, we got one or two second hand toys and it was a haul if we got socks. No joke. Mom didn't "do" holidays except a box of chocolates for my bro who was born on Valentines day and decorating for xmas. And when I say "do" I mean at. all. As an adult I realize my mom had issues "giving" anyone anything, including her kids. Gifting was not happening unless she was guilted into it or made mad by my step dad.

So when my kids were young.......I didn't care how broke we were they weren't getting either 2nd hand toys or clothes for xmas and Santa was a huge deal. Gifts were limited to what I knew they really really wanted, but yeah.

As I grew older........I began to realize that was silly. The child could honestly care less if the gift is used or not if they really want it or would enjoy it, as long as all the stuff is there and it's in good shape. So yeah, there were times when I did 2nd hand.

Then of course last year I took on buying xmas for katie's kids on top of my normal Nana buying......at a time when husband and I had less money than ever. And katie's kids have never been taught to take care of anything. And Alex has an obsession with spiderman / batman........and often you can't even find what he's wanting in a store, as we discovered last year.

I did the Second Time Around shops in both cincy and dayton, Goodwill, Craig's List and Ebay (with the kids help). Not all their gifts were 2nd hand by a long shot. But it let me bulk up their gifts from Santa without going flat broke. And Alex got his much coveted Batcave with all the figures for tons less than the Batcave itself cost originally......and since it came from another obsessed kid, it looked like new.

The kids? They were thrilled. I even wound up finding a few things for the other grands too.

This year? I've bought several things already 2nd hand. Yard sales mostly, many with the tags still on. I've not started ebay yet, I'm waiting for xmas lists. lol

And you just helped me find a possible way for Aubrey to get her much coveted FP grand dollhouse, because her Daddy is a tightwad. :rofl:

DammitJanet

I have the FP Grand Dollhouse...lol. My Dad got it for Keyana when she was 3. That and the swingset in my yard will probably stay in the family until they collapse. They are "grandfather's gifts" according to Keyana. LOL. I will never forget her eyes when she opened that box at his place with that dollhouse. She freaked.

I think I would be less apt to do second hand if these kids were older but we are talking 5,4,2 and at xmas 3 months...lol.

The stuff on the shelves right now is koi to be honest. I see much cuter stuff on craigslist.

DDD

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for Corey and his wife. The other Moms??? I'm not so sure. Are they likely to want to "exchange" or "return"? Jamie's wife I'm not so sure about. If you're getting ready to go for custody...that Mommy might twist the facts and make it seem like used indicates lack of devotion.

Those who lived with me got good used quite often and nobody had reason to second guess. Those two Moms I don't trust an inch so I'm not sure. DDD

DammitJanet

Ahhhh DDD....you make a very good point. Well...one of the Big presents for Keyana is going to be this leapster leappad that is 99 dollars. That is new. Plus some games. Im stuck on what else though. Lindsay said she bought keyana an american girl doll. maybe I could find that american girl movie. See...I didnt even think she was old enough for that. I was thinking more towards 7 for that for her. Sigh.

InsaneCdn

The stuff on the shelves right now is koi to be honest. I see much cuter stuff on craigslist.

Janet - that's the MAIN reason for going used... in my opinion. The quality just isn't there in most of the new stuff. Not just kid stuff... cookware, dishes, furniture, you name it... our kids would rather have 2nd hand swiss high-end watches, than to get new "<insert country> junk".

That argument doesn't work so well for stuff that is really current. But the other stuff... go for top quality, and especially if its the old goodie ones.