Do you think its wrong to get second hand toys for Xmas

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. Due to the out of state thing.......katie's biomom often met us halfway. Halfway was my hometown. Still quite a drive for both of us, but it sure as heck beat either one of us making the entire trip.

But it would be reasonable to think that Lindsey would be visiting her own family for xmas. I'd check with her mom and see. Shipping xmas presents is expensive. I did it a total of once for katie's kids. The next year it was gift cards.

DammitJanet

Oh Keyana will be here for Xmas. We have been told they will be here for 2 weeks. Cameron has to fly to see his father in CO so he cant come. I think Cory is going to have Lindsay served while she is here...lol. Nice Xmas present. I cant think of a better one myself. Well I can but since the man upstairs decided not to grant it to me I will just have to take what I can get.

susiestar

Roll With It
Anyone who has a problem with used toys has lost the meaning of the holidays, in my opinion. I do agree that anything a baby is going to really chew on, like a teether, should be new. And mostly shoes should be, and of course food. Anything else can be used. We have had a limit of $10 to $15 for gifts to adults on my side of the family for almost 20 years. Some years we have a theme like toys from our childhoods, or hobbies, or whatever. But usually not. We buy used to get items that the other person really WANTS, or we buy supplies and make the items. One year I worked an estate sale and got a Lenox cardinal statue that after the discount for working the sale and for it not selling the first day ended up at 59 cents over the limit - and that was fine. Cardinals were always on a card or letter or ornament that my gma sent for Christmas - my mom's stepmom. When I saw the cardinal I KNEW that it was the perfect gift for my mom. MOST of our gifts are used or experience gifts.

WHen you don't know what a child would like, or the child has more stuff than they can really enjoy, consider giving an experience. A class in some craft or skill they want to learn, dance lessons, a camping trip, horseback riding lessons, a trip to a ropes course, have several of their friends over to decorate cookies or make ornaments or do some craft. For a CSI buff teach fingerprinting and some other basic CSI type stuff. You can do fingerprinting with some cheap makeup or paint brushes (eyeslipsface.com has some excellent ones for $1 each that work perfectly) and powdered sugar, cocoa powder, baby powder, baking soda, etc..... It is SUPER easy. I can give you sites to help with that. If magic tricks are something a child is interested in, take a LOOK at some of the big kits of tricks at the stores, then go to a real magic store (often a costume and/or party store also) and get some REAL tools. Usually they have some great videos on how to do tricks too. We did that with thank you one year. We bought some small tricks and then gave him a budget to buy some bigger items like a hat. Then he got a trip and choose the items he really wanted. We did discourage him from buying more than one of the scarves and then had him help gma make a couple more of them.

If a child likes building things, and is able to be trusted to not hurt others with the tools, check out Sears and Home Depot for kids' tools. Also consider getting some tools that are not marketed to kids but are of a size to fit a child's hands. Years back we got a nice bag to keep tools in and some craftsman tools for Wiz, and added some tools from the dollar store and walmart to fill the gift out.

If the girls are interested in jewelry, make your own kit with various findings, beads, wire, tools, and include some costume jewelry from thrift stores and your own unwanted/broken jewelry. Put it into a nice box or plastic storage organizer (craft stores often have some awesome organizers but if you don't see hwat you want in the bead area, check sewing, scrapbooking, and other areas to see if they have something better suited for what you want) and it will be a better, and often cheaper, gift that will last far longer than the kits that you would buy.

My kids know that they get many gifts from yard sales, thrift stores, sales etc... and they are happy about it. They know they get better gifts, ones more suited to what they want/like and ones that we otherwise couldn't afford. Jessie esp LOVES thrift stores for clothes because her friends are ALWAYS asking about her clothes - where she got them, how she afforded them, etc.... Used to be the kids bragged about their brand names and how much they spent. then along came my girl and now? They brag about how little they spent, the hunt for what they wanted, what idiots the other kids are for spending so much on their clothes, how they embellish/alter the clothes to make what they want. A couple of the moms were upset with me at first, two even called me to gripe. One said that just because we were "poor" was no reason to tell her child to go wear clothes that other people had worn. I laughed - asked what the problem was? After all, her daughter that is J's age was always wearing handmedowns from her sister and cousins. Used clothes get washed, and are just handmedowns from people you don't know, aren't they?

Six months later the same mom thanked me, said they were saving so much by going to 2nd hand stores and yard sales that they were taking an extra vacation and would be able to afford a car when the older daughter was ready to drive - with-o taking out a loan. Seems that J's friend talked her mom into buying other used things. Now they are avid freecyclers too.

Jess never intended to do that, to influence the other girls. She just didn't see the logic in buying clothes at new prices, even at some of the walmart prices, when thrift stores had so many things and such variety. Some of her friends even get together to go yard saling once a month or so as a group.

If you have an avid yard-saler, consider getting an area map and having it laminated. Then you can list the sales you want to go to, mark them on the map with an overhead projection marker (vis a vis brand is one, dry erase may also work, we just always had the overhead markers around - if you accidentally use a sharpie, it will come off with alcohol) and go to the sales in order of whatever is closest. yes, you can also use yahoo driving directions, but using a map can be more helpful in some ways. It also teaches map skills so if you have a kid going with you it is an important skill for them to learn.

Janet, I do think Billie would have a fit over used toys. But I sure wouldn't buy any new ones for her kids either. NOT with the way they treat you and their toys. So take a used toy and put it in a custom wrapping - a gift bag made out of cloth that it could be stored in, etc.... Or for legos, try a tool box that they could be stored in, etc..... Mabye for dolls with clothes, etc.... make a storage box like the old wardrobes for barbie dolls that used to be around? I never had a kid into dolls, so I don't know what all is available for them. Jessie wanted real kitchen equipment by the age of 3, and tools before that, and art supplies mostly.

You can disguise the "used" part of gifts if you put them into a kit or bag/box that can be used for storage. Be sure to check the paper mache boxes sold at craft stores that you can paint/decorate - this makes the gift "handmade" and custom rather than "used", in my opinion. At least they seem that way.

For new gifts, be sure to check hospital gift shops. They often have really interesting items that you might not find elsewhere and their pricing can be strange. At the hospital J was in, some items seemed too expensive, like $15 reusable travel coffee cups that were not dishwasher safe, and some were surprisingly cheap, like hte $3.50 six piece manicure set that came in a really nice, sturdy box and had the tools had the same stripes or polka dots or whatever that the box had. Then they had some really NICE lip balm in fun flavors for $1 that I have seen in other stores for $3 to $5. Around here the hospitals also have the newest stuffed animals at prices that are less than most other stores - not just thank you brand, but Gund, Dakin, even Steiff.

InsaneCdn

If a child likes building things, and is able to be trusted to not hurt others with the tools, check out Sears and Home Depot for kids' tools. Also consider getting some tools that are not marketed to kids but are of a size to fit a child's hands. Years back we got a nice bag to keep tools in and some craftsman tools for Wiz, and added some tools from the dollar store and walmart to fill the gift out.

Depending on the kid... we did this ONCE with K1 (difficult child). He was about 15 months. It was one of those blocks that you hammer stuff through... and he wore it out in 2 or 3 months!
husband said "enough". From then on, it was REAL tools, ones that he couldn't wear out. REAL wood. REAL screws and nails.

K1 is at the top of all his "shop" classes in HS... but he's been using tools since he was 18 months old.

First "real" tool was an 8-oz hammer (if you don't know what I'm talking about ask a male relative...) - its small and light, but strong enough to take a beating.

You just can't go this route, though, with a kid who's going to go around hammering the walls...

DammitJanet

I have a real issue with knowing what Mikey might throw. He is a thrower and they have a 56" flat screen bolted to the wall low enough that if he actually did pitch it, he could hit it. Yes, idiotic. I dont know if they have moved the boxes for the DishNetwork, Xbox, Kinect, or DVR up off the floor right in front of it, not even behind a glass panel yet. To me, they are asking for trouble but...their trouble.

I am wanting to get him a Little Tikes Work Bench with plastic tools.

My hardest is Keyana right now. I am changing my mind daily...lol. Now I am looking at one of the cheaper tablets or ebook readers that actually use android so she could play some of the kid games off the free android market place, watch tv and movies and read free or very low cost childrens books I would load on their before I give it to her...oh and load some Mp3 music and videos.

InsaneCdn

I am wanting to get him a Little Tikes Work Bench with plastic tools.

That's the kind of thing that K1 started with... Not a tragic place to start (we just didn't replace it when he wore it out...).
If its not really his thing, he won't wear it out, but will still have fun. What kid doesn't like to "bang stuff" at that age?
If he takes a really avid interest, then you know you may have to up the ante for the next round.

BusynMember

Janet, I was on my pity trip...lol (sorry)...so I am late to this thread, but I honestly like the idea of second hand gifts. I mean, who cares? Especially for small kids and family? We all know how tough the economy is right now.

And once a new toy comes out of the box, and is touched with sticky hands.....it's used. How many brand new toys did we all buy that nobody played with? We've all been there done that, if a toy is a hit, and it was bought at a great price...it doesn't matter new or used. If it's clean, be proud to give it to someone. They are TOYS, meant to be played with, so I think it's fine...they outgrow the toys as they age anyway, so they don't need to last forever. Kids don't care!

buddy

My hardest is Keyana right now. I am changing my mind daily...lol. Now I am looking at one of the cheaper tablets or ebook readers that actually use android so she could play some of the kid games off the free android market place, watch tv and movies and read free or very low cost childrens books I would load on their before I give it to her...oh and load some Mp3 music and videos.

I want you for MY grandma!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I keep trying to get her to be my gramma too buddy. :rofl:

I splurged on Aubrey twice this week. I found a stuffed horse to lay on her bed for 10 bucks at walmart. She's coo coo over horses. The fact that it is super super soft will assure it will be adored. Then today.........well I honestly wasn't going to get her this doll because I think they're ugly as sin. But she wants a Baby Alive in the worse way. She has wanted one since last xmas. I spotted one today that is actually very cute. Afraid it wouldn't be there if I waited, I snatched it up.

For 2nd hand stores I love the Second Time Around stores we have in cincy and dayton. I got some super nice toys there last year that looked as if no one had played with them and had all the pieces. Picking them up for yard sale prices........oh yeah, no way I'm passing that up.

I'll say too, the grands with the 2nd hand stuff actually appreciated not having to wait forever while a parent did the marathon to get the toy unsecured from the packaging. lol

DammitJanet

Baby Alive's are a blast...lol. I think Keyana has 3 or so. Which one did you get? Last year she got one that pee's and poops in the diaper and tells you about it...lmao. You have to wipe off the plastic attached diaper with a napkin and depending on if the light on the diaper is yellow or white, the baby will say...I pee mama, or I dodo mama. LMAO. Hilarious. Baby also says stuff like I hungry mama, feed me mama, I love you mama.

she also got one last year that walked, talked, said like 60 sayings. That sucker cost me 65 bucks. I sent it with her when she left because I cant imagine she will still be playing with a doll like that when she is 7. She has had the baby alive that moves when you walk by it. I turned that one off!

J

joneshockey

I plan on buying a few things off my friend for Emily this year for Christmas... she will only be 9 months and won't know the difference :) I don't think that I would do it for the older boys though!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This baby alive is Babies New Teeth. She's cute with big brown eyes and brunette pig tails. She comes with a tooth brush and tooth paste, a biter biscuit, teething toy and sippy cup. I forgot she'd need extra diapers. I'll have to get those. lol Not bad for 16 bucks. I'd faint at one for 60 omg. lol But when easy child was 6 I got her the Real Baby doll.......my gawd that thing was like a real baby! Cost me 70.00 back then. (husband had a good xmas bonus) I wouldn't have spent so much but I felt bad for her, she really wanted it and the poor kid had a massive case of chicken pox for xmas.

DammitJanet

Oh god...have yall seen those Fidgits? Speaking of Furbies. They maybe spelled Figits. They are about a foot tall and rubber. Electronic. They talk and dance. I am not getting one...lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh god...have yall seen those Fidgits? Speaking of Furbies. They maybe spelled Figits. They are about a foot tall and rubber. Electronic. They talk and dance. I am not getting one...lol.

I'm so proud of you!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

H

HaoZi

All this makes me so glad my kid likes cute and/or sarcastic t-shirts and games for the Wii or DSi. And here I thought Kiddo was difficult to shop for!

DammitJanet

lol....i just meant they reminded me of this years Furby. But that no...I wasnt getting anyone one. And by anyone...we know who. Personally I dont think she could figure out how to use it...lol. Go to toysrus dot com and look at the thing, it has a video. Hilarious.