Do your kids do this?

Jamieh

E has been sick since Friday evening. And really just started feeling better today. He still has a low fever and coughing so he stayed home again today. He has been CrAzY WiLd today. Especially this evening. He's running and crashing into the walls/furniture. Normally he only does this when he has anything with red #40 in it. But we have noticed that this is a pattern when he's been sick for a few days. I am in dire need of some type of alcohol after this day. He still has a fever so he'll be home again tomorrow. I hope I find some patience somewhere to make it thru the day...

BusynMember

Have him evaluated. Usually when a kid starts out like this, it only gets worse without treatment for whatever is wrong. You deserve a peaceful house and he can be helped.

L

Liahona

Could he be having a reaction to the medications used for illness? Some of our kids don't react the same to otc medications as other kids do.

gwend1

Mine (also sensory processing disorder (SPD) and receiving Occupational Therapist (OT) and VT) gets very out of sorts when she is sick with sinus infections. When she's been sick with a run of the mill virus or a stomach bug, she gets easy and compliant, but illnesses that affect her vestibular system are very hard on her. She doesn't normally get anything with dyes in it, but I have one exception....bright pink amoxicillin. They make a dye free version, but it doesn't taste the same. To cure the "monster - illness" (my pet name for sinus infections) I allow dyes! I trade a miserable can't-be- still child for a cheerful can't-be-still child for 10 days...overall a win.

I always try to be sure we get in with our pediatrician when difficult child is suffering from her monster illness. Her doctor recognizes that monster behavior is a real symptom, right up there with fevers and a gooey nose.

Hope he's on the mend...

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
Yes, I have had that happen with difficult child 1. Any illness affects how his medications work AND he reacts to over-the-counter medications differently than most people. Most antihistamines make him extremely hyper. That and being "down and out" for a few days almost seems to cause the excess energy to build up and then when he's feeling better, he HAS to release it ALL. I am sorry this has happened and I pray he finishes mending FAST!

Jamieh

He is on amoxxicillan-Cav (sp). There is no dye in it. I had it flavored but that was also dye free. He's been getting dye free advil too. He either has strep or the flu. His strep test at the pediatrician came back neg. but they sent it off to culture. She said she felt like it was strep but that it hadn't had enough time to grow. *this was on monday* I opted out of the flu test because he gets horrible side effects from Tamiflu, so I felt it was useless to even do the nose swab. I mean he was still in hysterics over the throat swab for the strep test. He seems calmer today. A bit difficult to deal with attitude wise but his abundance of energy seems to have dwindled. lol I'm a bit more sane today.

SuZir

For mine just a fever tended to do that when they were small. Both for difficult child and easy child. Just being sick and resting seemed to cause all the excess energy to blow up at the moment they felt even little better.

Good to hear he is little better today. Hang in there!

buddy

Isn't it crazy how just a matter of a few degrees less crazy can be such wonderful relief to us?
I hope he continues to improve.!

garrison

My grandson does this too. But for him it's the day before. I feel your pain! (()) I just posted about this last week. Stay strong. I hope everyone is happier soon.

JJJ

Did the doctor evaluate him for PANDAS?

My oldest reacts to flavorings as well as dyes. Regular Skittles sets him off a little, but if he eats sour Skittles and I need two ex-NFL linesmen to help hold him down.

TerryJ2

I would check for PANDAS, too.
And my son used to do this just before he came down with-something. It was actually a relief when he got sick, because *I* could lie down, too. ;)
So sorry. I hope you get it figured out.

Jamieh

when he is feeling actually sick (the first couple of days when he's came down with something) he's pretty calm and relatively easy to deal with. It's when he starts to feel better that his energy level explodes and he becomes pretty irritable and difficult to manage. drives me crazy. I am trying to be patient because I know he is sick but then he starts with- the attitude that just makes me snap. *sigh*