Do your kids school have air condition?

Jody

I do not know how the kids can think in this heat. Yesterday it was 97 here and like 107 with the heat index. My air conditioner was broken during the hottest day of the year and I could not function. I thought about long, long ago when there were no air conditioners, window or CA. I know it's possible but how is it that they don't have air conditioners in the schools. I am wondering if I am just being over the top or if most schools do really have ac. Maybe since August is one of the hottest months we don't start back till September 1. I don't know but I know they were miserable. The report came in the paper about how miserable the educators were. Um, what about the kids, who are not outside but in a hot, sweaty room with the teachers with very little air flow. Maybe I am being a little spoiled but I am just wondering how many non a/c schools their really are.

keista

Our schools all have AC, but we're in FL. I grew up in NY and there was no ac in the schools - still isn't. But the offices ALL have window units. There were two reasons behavior issues escalated during warm weather. 1 The heat caused behavior problems, AND 2 those that misbehaved were "rewarded" with AC at the office.

InsaneCdn

Ummm... no. That's why there is no school in July and August. A/C??? What on earth for?

Remember, though, that we're up in the "frozen north"... <rofl>
Our house has A/C... mostly for July and Aug, some years we start it up in June. Schools don't need it. And no, we don't get the related behaviour problems either!
The equivalent question here might be... does your school have a furnace?

Jody

Keista,

I would be one to be in trouble then. I just don't know how they expect kids to be able to concentrate when they are that miserable. We also have year round schools that don't have a/c. I just think 103 is too hot without a/c. I know from having mine go out that it's hotter inside than outside when it's as humid as it is in Illinois. They keep wanting to make bigger and better tracks and gymnasiums, football fields and yet kids/teachers suffer because of heat. I am all for sports and extracurricular activities but for me a/c is a necessity. maybe even window units might help on extreme days.

JJJ

All 16 schools in our town have air-conditioning and I think even all the pre-schools/day care centers do as well.

In fact, the kids hate how cold it is!

keista

I agree with you. In some of our classrooms we were lucky enough to have the giant stand fans. Then there was always a battle for the "good seats".

On really bad days, the lights would never go on in many classrooms. I just don't remember it being too bad. I also didn't have AC at my house, so I was more accustomed to it. Now, I have a difficult time visiting family in NY that still don't have AC.

InsaneCdn

I just don't know how they expect kids to be able to concentrate when they are that miserable.

Not just from heat...
Here in the winter, one classroom will be comfortable.
Another one will have an air-leak in a window, and be freezing.
And the classroom closest to the boiler-room is cooking.

And the kids are moving between classrooms... and can't whip half-way across the school to get a coat if they ned it.

The administrators just shrug - nobody has figured out how to make the infrastructure work. And they sure can't figure it out.

AND THEN we get in trouble for sending our kids to school with colds... that the caught at school and got good and proper because of switching from cold to hot and back so often.....!!!!
<yegads!>

muttmeister

Before I retired I always looked forward to the start of school until they started pushing the date earlier and earlier. We had kids throwing up in the halls because they were overheated, etc.

Grandkids school just built a new school (this is the first year for it) and it does have air conditioning but many in our area do not.

Having school when it is that hot is not teaching kids anything except how to put in your time when you are not able to actually accomplish anything. What a waste of time and money and effort!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Our schools all have AC.

But I remember the days before schools had them. We did pretty good as teachers got creative. Our school had huge windows.......a fan in one of those made a huge difference......and teachers often held classes outside under shade trees. Some days were miserable, most weren't too bad though. But then I never had ac at home either......so for me it was "normal".

BusynMember

Here in Wisconsin we have "school choice." So Jumper goes to one school, which is a good fit for her and Sonic goes to another school, which is a great fit for him.

Jumper's school has no air conditioning. Fortunately, Wisconsin doesn't stay hot for very long during the school year because it's intolerable in there when it is. Sonic's school is half air conditioned, half not air-condition, as in the old wing is not but the new wing is. He is always happy to have a class in the new wing when it's hot outside.

tiredmommy

Our schools are not air conditioned. I usually schedule bringing in freezie pops for the kids when it's particularly hot.

Mattsmom277

Even this far north, some years in June or in September the kids schools are blistering and there are no a/c's in our schools. I've seen them move classes outdoors under shaded trees simply for relief from their rooms. I've had a time or two to bring popsicles or Mr.Freezies for the class too, even the teachers who are against sugar treats at school seem grateful on some of those crazy hot days.

I don't know what is up with the weather this summer. We had a crazy early spring, I'm talking a good month and half or more before normal the snow was gone, trees budding, grass green etc. Then we had the insane heat streaks with record breaking temps as many members did. Yet I yanked out our a/c units at home over a week and half ago! Not half way through August and simply putting on a floor fan to move air has been fine and I am one who cannot be in a overheated house. I had heard the warnings that this winter was going to be brutal and as record breaking for cold as July was for heat, but I didn't pay much attention. We always tend to hear up here these dire warnings about winter but it's never as bad as thought, year in and out. I do believe this year it's going to be accurate and we're in for a heck of a early, long, brutal cold.

Funny how I was dying in that heat streak and I'm so quickly already dreading -40 or -45 celcius with wind chill temps! Crazy! I can't even believe some of you are still in heat streaks!

tiredmommy

Mattsmom- I've been known to give out freezies to Duckie's class and any class on the playground. I usually bring 100 with me at a time, lol! Then the teachers let the kids play with the ice in my cooler (no throwing or putting inside someone else's clothes, please!). It's always fun. This will be my last year, though, because Duckie moves to middle school next year. :(

What really bugs me, though, is that our schools are usually hot in winter too! They seem to overheat them to the point that Duckie usually wears jeans, a t-shirt and a sweatshirt to school but has to leave the sweatshirt in her locker since it's too dang hot... in the middle of a Buffalo winter! I think the building ought to be kept a lot cooler (not cold)... like in the mid- or low-60's so the kids will dress appropriately when they're at the bus stop. It's insane! And costly! Plus, the viruses seem to thrive in the warm (hot!) environment. Grrr.

As for our upcoming winter, I'm pretty sure we've got it coming. Both lakes near us are exceptionally warm from a very hot summer. This means lots of lake effect snow every time cold air heads over the lakes. We usually don't hit too early in the season here, we're more late December and early January for snow because we usually get hit by lake effect bands off off Lake Huron to the northwest... but who knows? We may be snowed in at Thanksgiving if there's a sudden cold snap.

Nancy

We have many older schools here in NE Ohio and they do not have air conditioning. Not many school shave been built here in the past 20 years. The school my easy child teaches at is a charter school and use to be an old public school building and only has air conditioning in the new expansion. Her room is extremely hot. I spent the past three weeks helping her set up her room and the first thing I did was buy that window film that blocks out UV rays and put it on all the windows. It was a huge job because there are five woindows and they go all the way to the ceiling, which I could not reach even with a ladder. Anyway the film made a big difference in the comfort level. We also closed all the drapes as much as we could to block out the sun from the top part where the film didn't reach. All the classrooms have stand fans which help.

Nancy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Some of our schools do, some don't.

Here's my opinion...

I spent through 9th grade in west Texas. 110 was not unheard of in April. We wore wool uniforms. Either a white button up shirt and jumper, or pants and vest, or skirt and vest. We did not have AC.

We survived just fine.

See, the issue there? Almost no humidity (desert), so sweat actually evaporated. Plus, the school I attended 1-8 was made of adobe. The walls were probably 18" - 2' thick.

Now here? J's school is half-and-half - and it really isn't that bad. Even with 300 people in the hallway. Though they do occasionally close school early due to heat (LOL!)

If they'd just start after Labor Day and stop before Memorial Day, it would all be good.

muttmeister

If they'd just start after Labor Day and stop before Memorial Day, it would all be good.

Surely you aren't suggesting school administrators and boards should use COMMON SENSE!!! You must live in a dream world. LOL

Jody

I think that it is really an issue this year because they went back so early, it is getting earlier and earlier every year. We were out late because of snow days this last winter. I also think the weather has been pretty extreme all year round. Not a lot of Spring and alot of hot. I went to pick up t-shirt's at the school for difficult child and was blown away by the heat in the school, this is from coming from outside at 97 degrees. It was at least 10 degrees cooler outside. I went to school without a/c and I survived. The smell alone of middle schoolers in intense heat. Yuck. LOL. My daughter was not so good about putting on deodorant, until the kids teased her, now she makes sure she puts it on everyday and puts it in her backpack. I hate kids teasing but she sure wouldn't listen to my warning about the importance of putting on deodorant.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I suggested to J this morning since he has gym class SECOND PERIOD that he take his extra deodorant. He didn't think it was a good idea.

witzend

Schools here do not have air conditioners. It can be unpleasant in the Autumn, and sometimes in the Spring, but our climate is pretty mild, so it's not so bad. If only the schools came with sunshine and Vitamin D...