doctor or no doctor...

K

Kjs

I don't know whether to call or not. Two weeks ago I went in because of a cough, and when i coughed it was really painful. doctor listened to my lungs and said they were full of fluid, bronchitis at the least. Gave me antibiotics, cough medicine and I was on my way.

Felt better with antibiotics. Antibiotics gone four days ago. Cough is back. It is so painful to breathe, even move my arms. Sore throat to a point, I think it is just the pain of coughing. The throat hurts down farther, not the back of my mouth. Ear pain way inside, like when I swallow. Still think this is from the cough. Not a lot of coughing, just really painful. My chest hurts so much I hate to move.

I don't know what to do. When I first get up it is absolutely the worst. Too bad it is 10pm when I get up. My next day off of work is Thursday, but I know my doctor has Thursday's off. Should I call or should I wait?
Could it be as simple as another round of antibiotics? Or could it be more serious??

maril

I don't know if it may be more serious; however, with your symptoms, it sounds like you need to be seen by a doctor again soon. You are in misery and need some relief. Take care.

Lothlorien

Antibiotic was probably not strong enough to get rid of the infection. You need a stronger one and to be on it longer. Absolutely go back. husband just getting over pneumonia, because he waited too long to go to doctor.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Ditto. Call your Dr today and see if he/she will call in another round of antibiotics. If the infection was bad, it's likely the antibiotic you were on was not strong enough. And drink LOTS of water. as if you don't already know. Hope you feel better.

M

ML

Ditto. Call doctor. No doubt about it. You most likely need more/stronger antib's. I hope you feel better soon xo ML

Marguerite

Kjs, get back to the doctor. Yesterday.

Here's the drill. When you get a cold, THAT is viral. It doesn't respond to antibiotics. BUT - especially if you're run down, especially if you or someone in your house smokes, you are very much at risk of a bacterial infection moving in and making you a lot sicker. If you have a cold, then the secondary bacterial infection can settle in your lungs, in your throat, in your sinuses, in your middle ear - lots of places.

Antibiotics work by getting into your bloodstream and thereby being carried to wherever the bacterial infection is. Depending on where the bug is and which bug it is, depends on how well the antibiotics work. For example, some antibiotics get excreted quickly through the kidneys - therefore they are fabulous for kidney infections.

You took a course of antibiotics and it has really helped. But it hasn't fixed things completely.

Two possibilites:

1) You didn't take enough antibiotics - that can happen, especially with a particularly stubborn infection, or a resistant one. Resistance happens when MOST of the bugs get killed off by antibiotics but not all; the survivors reproduce rapidly and presto! A large population of bugs agian, only now thy're all resistant. Nasty. OR

2) You have yet another secondary (or tertiary?) bacterial infection. This would need more antibiotics.

Things to note and tell the doctor -

1) DO you have any mucus? Either nasal, or coughing it up. If it's thick and green (sorry, for the squeamish among you) it's a strong indication of bacterial infection.

2) Your throat - sore, you said. And your sinuses, sore. Yes, it COULD be form coughing/nose-blowing, or it could be more. Make a note of how it feels and how long it has felt like this.

3) Ditto for your chest. THAT worries me. I've had pneumonia, I've had pleurisy, it hurts like you describe. Something I remember from my pneumonia - I could put my hand on my side and feel it bubbling there when I breathed. Absence of this sign does not mean you're OK and don't need a doctor - you do.

4) Any fever? Even a mild one. Note the amount, keep a chart of sorts, take it to the doctor. Yesterday.

5) Ear pain - it could be infection, or it could be muscles strained form the coughing.

6) Arms hurt to move - agian, tis could be muscle strain. Or you could have cracked a rib from coughing (it can happen). Or it could be referred pain from pleurisy/pneumonia.

As you can see, there are just too many reasons to go see the doctor.

Think of it this way - people depend on you. You don't want to skive off for fear of letting people down. But if they have to put you in hospital because the infection got out of control and you became REALLY sick, then you will inconvenience people a great deal more.

It's cheaper and faster to knock the illness on the head now. Besides - do you REALLY want to share this with people at work? Or your family?

Marg

K

Kjs

You guys win. I was going to wait until Friday. Working 17.5 hours tonight would rule out tomorrow. Doctor is off on Thursday's. I called and I am leaving work early to see doctor.

Boss just came in and asked my partner to also come in early tonight to help...someone called in sick. Said he has a very bad case of the flu. He JUST got back from CANCUN over Easter break!!! He was hear until 2am last night.

This is going to put a scare in a lot of people. Mine isn't like that. It is pain. Not a lot of coughing..cause if I cough it hurts too much.

Going in this morning.

maril

Good. I am glad you will be able to see the doctor this morning! Let us know how it goes.

About your coworker, who was in Cancun and is sick - kind of concerning! Hope all goes well with him and that he doesn't have that nasty swine flu. :sick:

K

Kjs

I did go to the doctor the other day. Just didn't get to post.

Must explain .. go back 8 years. When I got my very first dog ever (Chloe) I was really sick for a few weeks. Lots of tests. Thinking it was allergies. Finally after a zillion tests it turned out to be Asthma. I was given an inhaler and after that bout...rarely used it. Never even thought about it. Only a few times in 8 years.

Doctor says, "your back???" I told him it came back. Told him it hurt really bad and I can't even touch my chest area. He said, "it's probably muscles from coughing" Then he listened and said, "nope - its inside. Bronchitis for sure but a LOT of wheezing." Gave me another round of antibiotics and a new inhaler. My other one was expired.

Within an hour of using that inhaler the pain had settled down. It was amazing. Feel better already!