Doctor's appointment on Monday

Californiablonde

I go back to my psychiatrist on Monday to discuss a different treatment plan for my anxiety. I have taken a crap load of different medications and have done a TON of research online. It appears that I have run out of options, besides benzos, which I DON'T want. I don't know what to try next. I have done all the antidepressants. Here is what I have tried and has not worked: Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Remeron, Paxil, Brintellix, Vistaril, Propranolol, Viibryd, Prystiq, Celexa, Luvox, Lexapro, Buspar, and a bunch of other Tricylic antidepressants that I don't remember the names of.

I have no clue what he is going to do with me next. I am still waking up very early in the morning with severe panic attacks, where I am shaking, sweating profusely, my heart is racing, and I have a weird adrenaline like sensation running through my whole body. The feeling continues on and off all day every day. I need help. I hope this doctor can come up with something good. The breathing techniques and therapy aren't much help either. Wish me luck.

BusynMember

What are you currently taking now? Maybe something doesn't agree with you.

I take a benzo... they are the only thing that works for me (low dose) on the medical side. However CBT and DBT therapy have greatly reduced my anxiety as well. Have you tried a psychologist who uses these methods?

Honestly, regular talk therapy does nothing for my anxiety. But these therapies have really done great jobs.

Good luck
Anxiety sux!

Californiablonde

What are you currently taking now? Maybe something doesn't agree with you.

I take a benzo... they are the only thing that works for me (low dose) on the medical side. However CBT and DBT therapy have greatly reduced my anxiety as well. Have you tried a psychologist who uses these methods?

Honestly, regular talk therapy does nothing for my anxiety. But these therapies have really done great jobs.

Good luck
Anxiety sux!
I refuse to drive with a benzo. I took a small dose of Klonopin about 5 years ago and got in a bad accident, totaled my car, and got a DUI. My arrest led to be admitted to the psychiatric ward because I was so traumatized after the incident. I have tried DBT. I didn't care for the therapist, and it was a male, which I normally get along with. Maybe another one would help. I don't know. Right now I'll try anything. I even had these bad panic attacks in Hawaii, which really shows you that my anxiety is definitely physical in nature. No matter where I am, I can't escape it.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Have you tried doing yoga or some other meditative type of exercise? If you haven't I'd think it's worth a try.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Can you walk at lunch or on break? I know at my job I do the stairs 2x per day. I work on the 8th floor so it is a hike. It helps me when I'm stressed and also is just plain good for your heart etc.

I don't have the severe anxiety you do but I sure get severely anxious over things with my son so it feels like it at times.

BusynMember

All anti anxiety medications make you tired. I only take my small dose at night. But honestly therapy has helped me so much. The medications alone don't work for me.

If you don't like one therapist find another one or buy books on DBT and do self help. I do a lot of that. Plus I practice deep breathing,which REALLY calms my body and mind. There are tons of books on deep breathing and YouTube tapes showing how to do it. There are also many YouTube tapes on guided meditation...

I exercise a lot. This can help some people with anxiety, but for me it doesn't do anything for stress...I work out to keep my weight down and stay healthy. It does help some people.

Meditation helps me a lot, but I can only do it at home and have the time for it so for me deep breathing is more convenient. I can use it anytime I need to slow my mind and body down.

I hope you try something new and that it works.

Peace!

Last edited:

in a daze

Medication suggestions:

Propanolol for the fight or flight symptoms...the shaking, sweating, racing heart. My son said it really helped.

Lyrica or gabapentin as a non benzodiazepine alternative for anxiety.

InsaneCdn

Sometimes the only answer for severe anxiety is to reorganize your life and get rid of the biggest triggers. In your case, that probably means finding a way to switch jobs.

nlj

Hi
I'm no expert, but personally I wouldn't be taking any of these medications they've given you.
I'd be looking to remove the source of the worst stress, getting all those poisons out of my body and finding healthy and calming ways to improve my physical and mental health and my sense of well-being.
Thinking of you x

rebelson

Have you tried natural supplements for your anxiety? I have anxiety too, it presents as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). No diagnosis, but I diagnosed myself (I'm an RN).
My son also has anxiety. He and I both take magnesium for it. I also take probiotics, read this article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4...ture-of-psychiatry-may-be-inside-your-stomach

And just this week, I started taking an amino acid, L-Theanine, for it. I also ordered a bottle for and had delivered to son. Here's the one I bought: Suntheanine® L-Theanine 200mg (Double-Strength) in Cold-Pressed Organic Coconut Oil
Type that in, in the amazon search box. CD won't let me post the link, I guess? Cuz it disappears when I post my comment. Please read the comments on this amazon item. It's also VERY fast-acting, works within 30-60 minutes.

One article of many on it: http://nootriment.com/l-theanine-for-anxiety/

So, regarding this new amino acid addition, been taking it this week. I totally can notice just a gentler day and a 'calmer, stiller' mind. Things seem to roll of my back with more ease. I can 'let go' of stuff I'd usually ruminate about. Also, as most of us on here are, I'm usually preoccupied with son....but this week? Not so much! In fact, I find myself forgetting to 'think about him'!

I'm sorry that you're suffering from this. It is an awful thing, anxiety is. I think anxiety is a huge culprit re: my son's using. Not to say he doesn't enjoy the highs, but I think the anxiety just makes it difficult for him to cope with certain life stressors. And the drugs/alcohol numb the anxiety somewhat. Of course he's adverse to taking any prescription for it. He complains about the side effects of them. He's tried a few. I have to admit, he's correct. Hence why 'I' am doing my own anxiety control naturally!

Last edited:

BusynMember

Not to say natural supplements do not or can not help those who do not have mental illnesses, serious ones like bipolar, but they work best for those who have situational stress not full blown constant anxiety disorders, panic disorder, bipolar, schizophrenia...if natural supplements helped,we'd all use them. C b has a very serious mental illness, for pity sake, along with the severe anxiety that goes with this medical, inherited illness. It kills people. Many people. I believe suicide is the #1 killer of teens in the United States.

The rest of you...don't. Life may stress you out, but not in the clinical sense. No disrespect meant. It drives me crazy though when those who are not mentally ill, which is a brain disorder, give simple, clean, easy answers.

It is like shaming a diabetic for taking insulin and not getting better on just some natural supplement. Or epilepsy. Yes, as we say we are very PHYSiCALLY ill and this causes unstable moods, irrational anxieties,wrongful thinking, inability to launch, inability to concentrate, the feeling that our lives are worthless, and even hallucinations without recreational drugs. Some hear voices and see things that are not there without anti psychotic. They can become dangerous to themselves or others. They can't tell reality from fantasy. This can happen in schizophrenia and also the manic highs in bipolar. Some depressive also have irrational delusions and hallucinations. At 13, my first clinical depression, I whispered in my house because I thought other kids were standing outside, listening to me and laughing. A delusion. At 13. This is irrational thinking. Nobody could explain to me that it made no sense. Of course I saw no professional back in the day. My family thought they could handle it.

They couldn't. It only disappeared when my mood abruptly switched from serious depression to hypo mania. I only had two manic episodes though. Most were mixed episodes (look it up) or depression. I was at the mercy of crazy mood swings. Suicide quickly became an option to me, but I didn't tell anyone. I thought I'd be stopped
and this was my perceived only way out.

It is downright dangerous to play doctor and tell a mentally ill patient you wouldn't take medications. You have no idea what you'd do f you were sick this way. We WISH we could stop our medications and function and not be at the mercy of crazy moods, hallucinations and delusions PLUS severe anxiety. You don't just get one symptom most of the time.

Hey, don't take your high blood pressure medications. They are poison. Just lose weight. Exercise. STop smoking today! Smoking is true poison with no medical up side. How many of you who wouldn't take psychiatric medications smoke? Also, be smart (sarcasm) Ignore your family history. I would never take those fatigue causing drugs that help blood pressure or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). I'd rather lay in bed all day, unable to breathe. This is as shaming somebody about taking psyche medications which often save lives, many of them young too.

Mine saved me...and, yes, I tried it all. I was sick and it wasn't a vitamin deficiency, lack of exercise, obesity, or anything other than the wiring n my brain. Listen...

When I first had to take psychiatric medications for constant suicidal ideation, severe clinical depression, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), I was ashamed. So ashamed that I hung my head, stayed in, felt like I was a freak, and even refused to let my husband touch me for a long time because I felt unworthy of love. Even though the medications were helping the clinical psychiatric problems, the messages I heard from others were shaming and I felt shamed. I felt ashamed that in order to not want to off myself I had to take an antidepressant. The suicidal ideation and clinical depression greatly improved. But other people made me feel ashamed. I should have "snapped out of it " Not possible!!!!!!! Use less,hurtful advice. So is, "you LIKE to be miserable." Stupider advice I never heard. My mother used to say this. Good ole Mother...

Nobody in good conscience can say for sure what he/she would do if they suffered from an illness that they can't imagine. It's unfair and unintentionally mean. Oh, nobody here would ever be mean on purpose. I know this. But many of us have mentally ill kids and some are not getting better. Why not' Bad attitude? Unhelpful words that hurt or CAN hurt.

I hate drugs of all kinds, even alcohol and pot,but I want to live and be able to feel happiness just like somebody without mental illness, and my mental illness is severe enough to interfere with my very life. We, in this category, need medical AND therapeutic help...it is a lifelong struggle. Are there exceptions? Probably, but in the minority if the mental illness is mild.

I am not speaking for CB. I am speaking for those of us who are mentally ill (people I know well off site) and NEED our medication to function or to even stay alive...my NAMI friends and other mentally ill friends don't like our illness being marginalized.

We always, always,always say (both as a joke but usually with sadness) if we had epilepsy (many of the same drugs are used for epilepsy as bipolar) or diabetes or life threatening diseases such as cancer (chemo isn't poison?) Nobody would suggest we shouldnt take our medications. We say this all the time. This stigma stops mentally ill people from seeking help so many kill themselves or live dangerous manic lives and die that way. Or they simply have no joy. Ever.

I can't read any responses to this. The topic is very upsetting to me. Because I am so involved with the mentally ill community I know too many people whose families/"friends" shamed them out of taking their medications. Bad results including suicide

Thanks for at least reading this, if you did. Maybe it made some sense to you. And I also know that many who are not mentally ill will never believe it is a medical illness that one can not just snap out of .The responses of those people whom I don't want to see are in this category so I won't return to read any responses to this. I don't even want to know who thinks mental illness is not "real"...that one can just pull up their pants and be well I can't know who thinks that way.

Bye. Have a nice day!!! Sorry for this post if it upset anyone. Certainly you all know I love you all. Some seriously kind people don't understand mental illness because...they don't have it.

I will see you all on other threads, no longer this one ;)

Last edited:

AppleCori

Interestingly...long ago, my daughter started dating a guy who had epilepsy. When he told her what he took for it--Lamictal, I believe--she was shocked. She was taking the same drug for her bi-polar. It was a happy coincidence, and really helped her to come to terms with her illness.

AppleCori

Cali,

I know it can be difficult. My daughter has been dealing with her illness for ten years, and is still not settled on a medication.

Try to put the worries about next year in a "box" and concentrate on what you can do right now.

in a daze

Have you tried natural supplements

C b has a very serious mental illness, for pity sake, along with the severe anxiety that goes with this medical, inherited illness.

Agree with SWOT. I'm glad they helped, RS.

My son has wasted hundreds of dollars on nootropics, mainly because he wasn't getting relief from prescription medications. The effects were transitory, at best. I've tried them for insomnia. Did nothing for me.

He's finally on a good medication regimes, after 13 years.

rebelson

It drives me crazy though when those who are not mentally ill, which is a brain disorder, give simple, clean, easy answers.
CB, I would bet that you understand that RN, in a daze, IC, nlj and I, all gave you some different ideas out of pure kindness and not of malice. I have anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)-which are mental illnesses. Nobody has the right to downplay anybody elses' anxiety as 'not serious'. Mine can be severe and can affect my daily enjoyment of life, for days in a row, weeks at a time. Not to mention the on and off, up and down stress of worry for my addict son.

unstable moods, irrational anxieties,wrongful thinking, inability to concentrate, the feeling that our lives are worthless,
I also have all of these at different times with my anxiety episodes. These are not just for the 'more serious mental illnesses'.

It is like shaming a diabetic for taking insulin and not getting better on just some natural supplement.
I did not read any 'shaming' comments, except one. This comment reminds me of the shame ball that was being discussed on another thread.

Bye. Have a nice day!!! Sorry for this post if it upset anyone. Certainly you all know I love you all. Some seriously kind people don't understand mental illness because...they don't have it.
I will see you all on other threads, no longer this one ;)
I call this a 'hurt and run' post.

I'm glad they helped, RS.
Thank you. However, after I read SWOT's long-winded drama comment, a sudden rush of anxiety hit me like a brick and has completely ruined my evening. It takes a lot for me to get angry, but I am angry that such kind, trying-to-help posts..could be twisted so.

I thought CD was supposed to be 'A soft place to land for battle weary parents'...maybe it's not the right place for me. Where I would go for online support from here? I have nowhere.
I wonder how many others have been driven away by 'bull in a china shop' posts.

Last edited:

UpandDown

rebelson-I read your original post as exactly that. One that offered alternative suggestions out of kindness and not malice. I hope that you will stay here online and get the support you deserve from the many members here.

InsaneCdn

@rebelson, Sometimes any one of us can get on a tangent. And some of us with developmental and/or mental health challenges of our own can make that leap incredibly fast. If you're one of us, you know what I mean. Because that does include me.

Sometimes we just have to consider where something came from, and let it go.

I too hope you stay around. I enjoy your perspective on things.

rebelson

To me, that post of @SomewhereOutThere 's is not acceptable. Perhaps ppl need to read over and re-read their posts when on a tangent. I have been tempted myself, to 'go on a tangent', but I wait and it passes. Then, I am glad I waited. My goal in life to be KIND to others.

You can easily alienate ppl on forums such as this one. Right now, I feel alienated. We, on here, are in a not so great place. OR we wouldn't BE here.

Maybe I am wrong. But, I think @SomewhereOutThere's difficult child is good now. Perhaps we lose touch once it's been years since our difficult child has been addicted. I do not know. But, I DO know that myself, I am a tender-hearted person. I matter, too! Just because she does not think that 'anxiety' is as high up on the chart as other mental health issues, it IS a mental illness. Also, how do we know that ppl on here divulge ALL their issues? Some ppl, like myself, are quite private. It takes a lot for me to come on here, and post awful issues with regard to my son-my family!

Why would I feel comfortable now, when some ppl on here treat others in such a cold way? I think it is just plain old mean to post such a comment and then say 'bye!'......

When other posters behave in such a HARSH manner (without re-reading their post before hitting 'Post Reply'), and it is aimed partially at me (I realize she was talking to others, too) that does have a negative effect on ME. I will now be very hesitant to reply with my honest, true feelings as it might elicit this same type of hurtful and anger-provoking response. How will this affect MY journey with MY son? As I am ON HERE for SUPPORT. Where do I go to now? For help? This is really stressing me out. Knowing now, that I cannot post here, my honesty. My worries. My feelings.

I am way more angry than hurt here. And, since last evening, my anxiety is RAMPED up. Some ppl don't care. I am mad that my outlet is now not a real outlet for me. I don't think it's fair that one person can take away someone's most preferred support. And then run away.

I also have Asperger's, nobody's business where I am on the spectrum. Did I divulge THAT before? No. Now, I can say that because I have Aspie's, I am a very sensitive person. My Aspie's also causes me to obsess. I am not in a good place right now thanks to this incident.

Nobody knows how much others' crosses that they are bearing actually weight. Just because it only appears that I have anxiety to bear, you have no idea of what other things I have weighing on my shoulders.

KINDNESS. WE ALL MATTER. This thing is NOT a competition...'my illness is worse than your illness'.

Posters have to behave to a certain 'politeness' standard on a forum like this, I know other forums have some type of 'expected posting behavior' guidelines.

What I am saying in the end is, I have seen certain trends with certain ppl where they are very harsh. I came on here because I NEED the support on here. Now, I am FEARFUL to post my TRUE feelings and thoughts. For fear of a 'public lashing'.
Am I being too sensitive? Nope. I know that others on CD are right there with me in the 'sensitivity' arena.

so ready to live

Nobody knows how much others' crosses that they are bearing actually weight. Just because it only appears that I have anxiety to bear, you have no idea of what other things I have weighing on my shoulders.

KINDNESS. WE ALL MATTER.
Hi Rebelson. Thank you, we all DO matter. You too. There have been times when I've felt a bit slapped after posting and many times I later realize that I too don't know what others bear in their lives. Please remember that I so need to hear your stories, it gives me balance, reference, healing. We live differently, experience differently, process differently...but as a whole we are stronger. Prayers.