Documentary on a mom raising 3 difficult child's...

Andrea Danielle

Hello,
Here is a link to a documentary on TV Ontario called:
My Different Life

Here is what it is about:

An education is a basic right most people take for granted, but when a child has learning disabilities sometimes the system doesn't always work the way it should. Filmmaker Karen O'Donnell explores the frustrations of Denise Difide, a single mother trying to get the proper care for her three kids, two of whom cope with a learning disability and the third with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The film follows this family through pivotal points in their self-discovery and illuminates the challenges they face in their desperate attempts to navigate complex educational and medical institutions. It also offers hope through a learning disabilities advocate and unconventional therapy. Karen O'Donnell has tackled the issue of learning disabilities in her previous documentary for TVO, Odd Kid Out, in which she shared her own struggles as a parent of child with ADHD.

**Note that this can only be viewed on line until June 14th.
http://www.tvo.org/documentaries/video/MyDifferentTVFH.html

Andrea

DDD

Andrea, thank you so much for sharing that awesome documentary.
It brought many memories and also triggered a few tears as I saw
the suffering that comes from school systems that do not address
the problems our children have in learning.

It was really valuable. DDD

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Yes, thank you. It showed the frustration of dealing with schools, three year wait list to get testing? Aghhhhhhh.

branbran

Thanks for that link. I watched it and it was very sweet. Those kids are lucky to have such a wonderful mom. She just refuses to give up. 2 thumbs up for her!!! I am shocked at the school system in Canada. The waiting list for an evaluation is digusting!!! I guess I'm feeling pretty lucky as I really haven't had to fight for the needs of my daughter, they were bascially given to me with just a little push.

I'm so happy for Alex for getting into that school, and hope her old principle is eating her words!!!

Thanks again, for sharing. :smile:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Thanks Andrea! K saw part of it, when Alex was saying she wanted to die, K said, "she is like me Mommy, when I am sad"
I explained how her Mommy was like me and husband trying get K & N help...She thought that was cool.

I am glad others are trying to do something... sometimes I feel like it is only us on this board.