Does an IEP officially label a child?

One

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this question.

In elementary school, my kid was struggling to pay attention in class. They recommended that we do something about. A school psychologist tested him, and their exact words were this. "We're not one-hundred percent sure if he has a learning disability, but he can benefit from the help, so we'll mark him down as having a specific learning disability." His Weschler IQ test scores were average, etc. I still have the documents. Well, he graduates this year, and finally decided to exit the IEP program. We spoke with the teachers. They basically told us that he needed to improve his grades. Bam, he improved them from D's to A's no problem. Everyone was blown away. They did further testing and realized that he might have been misdiagnosed.

Now that he is exiting the program, my issue is this. Will he have a medical label, or will the IEP somehow follow him after school? I spoke with the teachers, and they say that nothing will follow him, etc. He will also graduate with a normal diploma here in PA. He wants to work in Law Enforcement, and it worries me that some misdiagnosis (even his teachers agree) will hamper him in some way.

Thank you

One

That's good to hear. Thank you for the advice. I understand that this is something I should ask his teachers, which I have. I found this forum by doing some research online. It seems like the perfect place to ask for a second opinion. Everyone here seems to have experience with what we're going through.