Does anyone have a 5 yr. old messing their pants?

shellsie

I am at my wits end. My five and a half year old once completely pottie trained is back to square one. I can't take it anymore. He was put on lactose free milk and finally doesn't have soft bowel movement but he still messes his pants and pees them. We live 20 mins from town and I had to put him in kindergarten half days because I knew full time he'd have accidents at school, so I drive him in everyday instead of him taking the bus. For no paticular reason he will pee his pants or poop. He even goes as far as pulling down his pants to urinate on our floor, or his bed or pretty much anywhere he sees fit. I feel like I am the only one who has a child almost six that still does this. I am open to any suggestions for helping this. Its pretty sad when my three year old doesn't even have an accident. My son is going to the Royal Alex hospital for three weeks for evaluation and hopefully we will get some answers. Please tell me I am not the only parent going through this.

kris

while i never had to deal with-this problem i know there have been many others on this board who have. i know there are some archived threads in the general archives & probably in the early childhood archives too. check it out.

it's still early so hang in....you'll get some responses as soon as people get up. you might also want to post about this in the general forum to get input from the been there done that crew.

it's excellent that you already have an extensive evaluation sheduled. you're already ahead of the game.

kris

tiredmommy

The great majority of children who mess themselves aren't doing it on purpose. He may not be sensing the urge to go until it's too late. Talk to your doctor about having him tested for encopresis.

Liahona

difficult child 1 was messing his pants at age 5. It was stress related. Everytime he was stressed out he would mess. Urin was undercontrol. No you aren't alone. Even at age 7 he still has accidents. And he was fully potty trained at age 3 and then it started when he had to go to visitation with ex at age 4.

Andrea Danielle

Hi there, we have the same problem, sadly. Started at age 5. It seems to come and go. For awhile he was peeing his pants, or on the floor every day and it really did seem to be deliberate, not an issue of not being able to stop it. Then it would go away for awhile. Same thing with the soiling himself, it lasted for a month and then would be gone. He even smears it sometimes.
All I can advise is to not make a big deal about it, and ask them to help clean it up.
I can't make it stop for good right now. I am just happy every day that we don't have an "accident".

Andrea

BusynMember

Does your child have any diagnoses? Sensory issues? Who is he seeing? I'm thinking that it's odd that he was potty trained and suddenly started messing his pants again. If it were me, I'd want to know what's up, if anything. A good resource is to take him for a multi disciplinary Evaluation at a children's or university hospital where a bunch of professionals assess him and brainstorm over what the problem may be. Is he speech delayed? Does he play with other kids? Any other problems other than messing his pants? What about the history in your family tree on both sides? Mood disorders? Substance abuse? Any neurological issues? My son has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and, while he never regressed in potty training, he wasn't 100% potty trained until almost five--in his case, his autistic spectrum caused sensory issues so he didn't know when he had to go. However, he held it in at school (go figure). He's 13 now and potty trained and doing well--your child could do well too!!!

Na Na

Hello,
My son soiled his pants from the time he was 6 until he was 12 years old. He was doing this on a daily basis. At first I thought he was just pooping his pants. My husband would get very angry and yell at him. I did the same thing at first. I finally took him to the doctors when he was 7 years old. After a year of this. He was diagnosed with Encropesis. I don't know if you got the same diagnoses or not. He would get better for a few months and then start it up again. He went through this for 7 years. It was very frustrating but we got through it. When he finally decided he wanted to take care of this, that is when it stopped. The doctors said it was up to him to sit on the toilet and basically re-train himself to go to the bathroom. We went through alot of Mirlax(perscription) and many pairs of underwear. It was very embarrassing as well. We would be over someone's house and little poop pellets would fall out of his pants onto the floor. He smelled like poop all the time. You will get through this. It takes much work and consistancy. Our problem was when he would seem to get better, we would not give him the medicine. The medicine worked pretty well, but you have to stay on top of it. Now I babysit and I have a 5 year old that is doing the same thing. The parents spank him every time he soils his pants. They think he is just doing it to be bad. I tried to tell them my experience and they don't want to listen. I feel really bad for this little boy. He needs to go to the doctor but they will not take him. Good luck
Renee