Does anyone have a Facebook page?

klmno

Do many adults do this? I was thinking about it and went to the website. It starts out asking for my full name, email address, and birthdate. Is that info going to be plastered on my page if I join? I wouldn't want my last name, email address OR b-day on there. Is there any other info I should be aware of? Can it be set to private?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have about a half dozen friends who are doing this and have been bugging me to jump on the bandwagon. It's become quite popular. Only people you invite can see your page, from what I understand. A lot of middle-aged people are using it to reconnect with old friends.

Frankly, I prefer email and phone calls, and if I haven't kept in touch with someone all these years, there's probably a reason. Then there are places like this where I know I have something in common with the members. I keep in touch with people I connect with on support websites, like this one and the one for parents of kids with IBD that I've frequented in the past.

everywoman

I'm on. Only those you invite can see your info. If you join, let me know, and we can be facebook friends. I have thoroughly enjoyed facebook. I have reconnected with people I haven't seen in years, people I can't see often, and I'm able to get daily updates on my family, including the grandkids. PM me and I'll give you my info.

Lothlorien

once you are on, go to "settings" on the upper right hand corner. There you will be able to change the settings, so that only your friends can view what information you want them to.

klmno

Ok, I'm trying to understand this- if it's private info, how can you reconnect with people? Or is that dependent on your settings?

donna723

I'm on it too and I'm definitely on the 'mature' side! One of my old friends was on it and sent me a friend request so I joined. My daughter and sister in law are both on it ... it may not be cool to have your mother as one of your 'friends' but they are both old enough that they don't worry about being cool. I kind of like it because they post a lot of their pictures on there and I can see them and copy them without waiting for them to send them to me. And just yesterday I reconnected with another old friend I went to high school with - it's been 45 years! When you do your profile it asks you things like where you went to school or where you have worked, and then when it comes across people you might know, it pops up with that persons contact. That's how I found the girl I went to school with - it popped up with her name and said that we went to the same high school.

You have to give them your email address because they notify you by email if you have messages or if you get a friend request. But your email address will NOT be part of your profile that people can see unless you want it to be. Unless you officially accept someone as a 'friend', they can only see your first page with just the basic info on it. That first page does show the list of people that you are 'friends' with. I don't even have a picture of myself on there. I used the same picture of my dog that's my avatar here!

Last edited:

klmno

Is your last name on the main page?

I'm asking all this because like gcvmom said, I have a friend/acquaintance suggesting I join it.

goldenguru

I do facebook mostly to stay connected with-family I don't see too often. It's a great network. Like any other web feature, just be cautious in who you let 'be friends'.

klmno

Ok- I'll try it- I don't know if I can do it tonight because we are having bad storms.

EW- I'll let you know when I get this set up- thanks for letting me know!

donna723

You DO need to put your full name on there. If not, people wouldn't know it was you and that would defeat the purpose. People can send you messages (that you can answer or not answer as you choose) but they still can't see anything except what's on your first page. If they send you a 'friend request' and you accept it, then they can see your full profile, but that would only be people whose 'friend request' you had accepted, somebody you know and approved. Like with the old friend I emailed yesterday, I knew what her married name was and the picture looked like her (only 45 years older) so I sent her a message and asked her if her maiden name was XXXXX and if she was the same one I went to school with, and it turns out that she was!

It's kind of fun, really. I've run in to a few old friends and some relatives I wouldn't otherwise contact all that much, I keep up with my kids' pictures, and I get the daily updates of my cousins frantic wedding plans.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
This is kind of like asking to be on the team with the painful possibility of public rejection: I have a Facebook. My name is out there but I look just like Bugs Bunny (he is my moral compass, LOL!). Just pm me if you want to be friends. Go ahead! Break my heart! I can take it!

klmno

Go ahead! Break my heart! I can take it!

:rofl:

You ladies kill me sometimes! I'll let people know when/if I get this done....right now I'm trying to keep the computer up and running. I had typed a long email response to a friend who emailed me and right before I wrote my name at the end, it blinked me off my email site. Arghhh....

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, you put all that stuff in there, but when you edit your personal settings, only those you want to see your full page can see it.

If someone does a search of your name, they will type in your full name and that is how they will find you. They will then have the option of sending you a message to be added as one of your friends. If you decide you don't want to add them, then they won't see your full page.

Likewise if you do a search for old friends and family.

I'm on it and I love keeping up with old friends and family I rarely see, as well as those I do see often and my daughters and nieces, etc. I don't post a lot, but once you get the hang of it and realize that cretins can't get onto your page and scope you out, you relax a bit and have fun. If you want, PM me and I will give you my full name to find me and we can be facebook friends too!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
It really isn't that creepy. LOL
I did it for my 20 year reunion...
It is under my maiden name for that reason. I never changed it back.
I like it because I don't talk about G'sFG. It is just for fun stuff. Know what I mean?? Silly...
I don't go on mine all of the time, but at times I am on a lot and others I forget it exists.

Funny though my Dad invited me to be his "Friend" I have just left it alone... you can ignore peoples requests, but I never know if they "know" you ignored them?

So it is just sitting there! LOL

"You have 1 friend request" and it is my Dad! LOL it is now going on 5 months?

I'll be your friend... :)

Steely

It is not creepy at all - it is actually completely cool. I have re-connected with best friends from grade school that I had not heard from in 20 years. It is a really cool format for staying in touch and connected, yet you can still keep your space - if you know what I mean?

PM me if you want me to be your friend LOL.....:redface:

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm a relative newbie to facebook but I have a lot of fun on it. Many of husband's side of the family are on it along with some from mine. It's quite hilarious for me because husband's family is a hoot (think of the Roseanne show that used to be on tv).

klmno

Ok, I'm trying this but I feel really stupid because something isn't going right- it asks me my name, email and birthdate on the first page, also for a password. I give it that, then it emails me, then I go to a page to confirm it and it asks me for an email password. I tried putting in the password I'd already given it but it won't take it- it says it's invalid. So I thought since it asks for an email password, maybe it wants a differnt, new password so I tried something else. It won't take that either- it says invalid. What the carp does it want? There is no "help" area listed on the page. Oddly enough- it will let me skip that step however, I don't think I want to skip it- I want it password protected.

flutterby

Fly away!
I have a facebook page, but I'm never on. Most of easy child's friends have added me as a friend (so much for not cool, Donna ;) ), my sister in law and my bff. I don't have my picture up; I have my avatar - same one as on here.

My bff invited me to a Pampered Chef party that was done over Facebook. Pretty cool.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have a Facebook page - none of my kids want to be on it cause its so not cool to have your mom on your page (not to mention they are probably afraid I would say something I shouldn't) SO has one as well, some of my co workers are on there, one of the people I went to grade school with who lived three doors down the street found me on there. I actually found SO's son on there, the one he has been trying to find for 13 years so that was pretty cool. One can't see any of your information unless you add a person as a friend. The chat feature is pretty neat as well

Marcie

I think I like it better than My Space -

klmno

Oh- they want my password for my actual email service? So they can search my address book- is that correct?