Does anyone have a Facebook page?

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
They will pull your contacts from your personal email, but you don't HAVE to give them the password. I use my personal email sometimes for business when the work email is down, and I don't need to add some of the people I work with..

jannie

trying to survive....
I'm pretty addicted to facebook myself. I've been on it for about four months. It is great to reconnect with old friends. None of my facebook reconnections have any idea about the challenges I live with. It's kind of fun pretending to have this great life....

klmno

Ok- I made it through that part. LOL! Now, I'm working on my profile page stuff. Is there a way to add stuff to it or make it unique- like we can do on this board?

Oh- it popped up with names I recognized from high school. One guy came from a rich families- but he was nice- not arrogant or anything- anyway, he has a photo of himself when he was about 5yo. LOL! I think he became a dr.

klmno

Oh- so that's where you've been?

What can people possibly do on there after you've run a search for people you know?

Next question- if I search for someone's name, do they ever know it?

Last edited:

Lucedaleblessed

I have one because my daugther have one. She didn't ask but they somehow managed to fool the firewall at the school and once you have an account on Facebook the account cannot be deleted but only suspended.

So I have one, so I could become my daugthers "friend" and I actually found an old friend from high school in the process. She left for another state some 10 years ago and we lost track.

I learned of the Google trick posted here in this forum and I showed her how I can monitor what she is doing with the computer so she can access her profile from our house as long as she is doing so well as she is for the moment.

If she messes up, she will have to access her profile from outside the home.

Steely

no if you search for someone's name they never know it. no worries there:Dit is only if you add someone as a friend, that they can see your posts and threads.

there are some people that have asked me to be a friend that "i ignore" just because they annoy me.

the only suggestion I would have is to not tell a lot of people at work. I ended up "be-friending" everyone at work - and it really came back to bite me in the rear because they could use everything I posted against me.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
A couple of months ago my Mom invited me... I don't spend much time on it. I am on the computer all day at work so I rarely do much on the computer at home... I also have a MySpace, which I spend more time on (difficult child 1 has an account, so I monitor).

The Facebook is interesting but I haven't gone very far on it. Maybe I will. But I can't get to it from work, so we will see!

N

Nomad

Can someone address this concern for me?
I was on Facebook for about 3 days...then took myself off.
My reasoning was that I already spend PLENTY of time on line at "various"websites...only about two really; including this one. I also tend to check my email rather frequently. This sometimes takes a lot of time. I sometimes let it distract me. I find it interesting that when husband and I have been on cruises, I am RELIEVED not to have easy access to the computer. I don't miss is that much...however, I'm sure more than one week would be a problem. I actually enjoy not being on for a few days or so.
When I was on FB, I liked checking in on friends. I didn't like intrusions...and feeling like I had to respond to people. ALSO, I put in a friend request to someone and she didn't respond and this made me feel bad. Of course, I liked it when many others responded quickly to my requests and I received requests. It all seemed a little silly. I took myself off...mostly because of the time factor. However, recently it seems to be very popular with- people of all ages and my son has moved out of town...there is the photo aspect of it, etc. Can anyone elaborate? Do you find it time consuming and does this bother you?

change

Hi Y'all!!! I'm back...for now because I'm ADDICTED to FB!!! LOL!!! I've been on Occupational Therapist (OT) since Superbowl night because an old friend from h.s. was pestering me. It's my 20 yr. reunion yr. and he's organizing it so he was pestering us all one by one. I finally crumbled and was shy at first but when I saw how they had been posting old pics and having a blast I joined in and it's been so much fun. Now my family is on there, other friends (college, middle school, etc.) have popped out of the woodwork too. The best thing is, I can pretend I have a "normal" life. Most people don't know a/b the difficult child we had to relinquish so I can relax and have fun. I only had to warn a couple of current friends not to ask a/b it that "found" me on there and all was good. Like others said...you can always "ignore". I'm ignoring someone right now. ;)

I missed you ALL...xoxo

change

P.S. The best thing is...I FB from my cell phone mostly. I can't access this site as easily on the phone.

witzend

Ok, I'm trying to understand this- if it's private info, how can you reconnect with people? Or is that dependent on your settings?

Your friends have friends that you can see. You only see their name and their picture. Then you can ask them to be friends.

witzend

Oh- they want my password for my actual email service? So they can search my address book- is that correct?

I wasn't terribly comfortable with that. (I just signed up tonight.) I made a file of my e-mail address book on the desktop, then uploaded only the file. It showed me who also has a page. I'm starting really slowly...

witzend

Just don't ask me to twitter, OK? I have no clue what that's about! I have to admit, I added L and M as friends. I wonder if they will accept the invitation...

BusynMember

I have a page, but not to really socialize. Since I'm a writer, I try to connect with other writers and editors etc. My sister tried to get me to do a Facebook page to "connect" with the past. Well, I didn't have many frieneds in school--I was quite a geek and so far nobody has found me :dissapointed: (J/K--I don't care). My sister has one to fish for men. Her marriage isn't good and she'd like to (ahem)...meet someone. She has actually connected with a lot of people from her past...

Anyone who has a Facebook can be my fwend :D and I'll be yours! :peaceful: I post about once every six months!!!

BusynMember

Just don't ask me to twitter, OK? I have no clue what that's about! I have to admit, I added L and M as friends. I wonder if they will accept the invitation...
I signed up for Twitter, but have never used it. It's creepy when you get an e-mail that says "Midwest Mom is FOLLOWING you!!!!" :tongue: I can't take something called "Twitter" seriously!!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I let people know that I am not on it all of the time, so they don't get upset. Sometimes I am on it a lot and other times hardly at all. So it is not really a big deal if some one writes something to you and it doesn't get responded to right away.
You can also have an alert directed to your e-mail account so that when you have a new message or there is a new photo or something like that it will alert you.
There is a pull down that you can click, it says available to friends and public or just friends. or somethings like that. Make sure you check which one you want.
Over to the left also you can hide you stats, like where you live, if you are single etc.

What is funny with mine is that both of my brother's ex's have requested to be my friend! They don't know each other!
The newer X is still livid about the breakup! She is the one with 2 boys with him.

And my Dad's ex wife is my friend! But none of my biological family! LOL

lizanne2

OK, me too. I am on facebook. Really is kind of fun.

I am the friend of one kid and will never ever ever be the friend of the other kid(difficult child). He is way too cool.

two things...it is just another reminder, that unlike the rest of the world, i do not have 237 friends. that has been a bummer.

And as well, easy child/difficult child doesn't really have many friends. that is even a yuckier feeling for me! My heart so hurts for my girl sometimes.

But, overall, facebook is cool.

Nancy

I think we should remember that many of us don't share all the horror stories of our lives with all our family and/or friends so care should be taken when befriending members of this board. Also in many cases, our difficult child's are also members and can read our walls.

Nancy