Does anyone have......

M

missy7222

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has a behavioral plan that they use at home. Like a reward/consequence or points or poker chips etc....that you use to control the bahavior at home for doing homework, chores, not talking back, etc.

I'm new to the board and my daughter is 8, has ODD and Anxiety, we're just having such a hard time with her at home, everything is such a battle, I need to put some type of plan in place and them put my armour on, cause I know she's not gonna like it.

Help! I want to run away! :sad-very:

smallworld

Have you read The Explosive Child by Ross Greene? His theories have helped many of us on this board parent our extra-challenging children.

Christy

We've tried but have not been very successful. My son has a hard time waiting to earn something and gets very frustrated when he is unsuccessful. When he was in school, they used a point system but he never focused on the idea of more points = better prize. If he earned two points and got an eraser he was happy. He was never motivated by it but all kids are different.

Good Luck!
Christy

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Explosive Child was our lifesaver.

Beyond that, I set up reward systems for specific behaviors that we worked on. One big one when he was 4-5 was getting on the school bus, so he had a chart strictly for the bus - he got a sticker for getting on without fighting and a small reward for getting X number of stickers (started out with an immediate snack for getting on without fighting, then a reward for 2 stickers - eventually stretched it out to a reward for 4 stickers, etc...weaned slowly, of course). The biggest thing with him was only working on a few things at a time. Too much was a disaster.