Does anyone know anything about diskitis?

Jody

My friend has just been diagnosed with diskitis and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this or can tell me anything about it such as treatments they have had, or surgery.

DDD

Jody, it is discitis with a c. Look on HealthBoards.com and see if it pops up. Hugs DDD

jal

I've never heard of it either and I've had my share of back/disc issues (surgery and herniated). I looked it up. It is an inflamaion usually caused by an infection of the disc that is usually treated with antibiotics. It can come on post surgery or possibly be caused by a urinary or respiratory infection.

Supposedly it is usually seen in children. Wow, that's scary.

TerryJ2

Ew. Scary.
That sounds a bit like what one of my sisters had, yrs ago. She got a splinter in her foot, and the infection went to her spine. She was in horrible pain and no one believed her. She survived, but she's now 1/2" shorter than my other sister, and they're twins.
I hope your friend is treated more quickly.
Mostly, I'm sending sympathy.

Jody

My friend is at the surgeon right now finding out more. This was not found quickly and she has been begging for help for many months and now she is taking serious pan killers and it's not helping. She cannot walk at times and feels like her hip is not connected to the rest of her body. It has just changed her life drastically. I hope they can help her get hr life back. I miss hanging out with her.

Jody

Yes, thank you for asking. She just got out of out-patient surgery. They removed some of the infection to see what kind of anti-biotic to treat her with. She will have an IV bag at home for 3 months pumping in her anti-biotic. Hopefully after that she will be better. I am so glad this is treatable and hope that soon she will be back to her old self. I miss hanging out with her.

TerryJ2

Thanks for letting us know.
I assume that for now, the IV bag she has, just contains mainstream antibiotics? And they'll change it in a few days once the tests are complete? Seems like she should feel better by the end of the week.
I'm sure you'll be bringing her dinner and balloons or flowers tomorrow. :)

Jody

They gave her Oxycotin and a muscle relaxer and she takes them both every 4 hours, no antibiotics until they get done testing to see which one to give her. They said she could feel better in one month-three months. infection is bad and it's in her bloodstream, which has caused her a lot of digestive issues and just lot's of unpleasantness. I am going to the grocery store tonight for her, and I made some chicken chilli for her and her boyfriend. He's blind but gets around pretty good, with his cane. She really does a lot for him, so I am trying to help him too.