Does dual diagnosis make a difference?

BusynMember

If he doesn't, he is telling you he isn't interested in improving. Unless he is deficated to staying off of street drugs, including pot AND alcohol, psychiatric medications won't help anyway.

You are doing all the work which is pointless. He has to do it. Giving him money is like feeding him cocaine, meth, heroin, whatever he uses. If he wanted only psyche medications he would be more than happy to let you know what they are, what pharmacy they are at, and to let you pick them up from the pharmacy for him.

Our mommy hearts are big and loving, but they lie to us because we love them and want to believe. But we can't believe. We need proof and to hold back and to be logical. It isn't logical to think a hosial stay cured him. My daughter spent two weeks in a psychiatric hospital.

The psychiatrist said he didn't think she was an addict (she was a good talker), diagnosed her with the ever popular bipolar disorder ,(she doesn't have it...has been clean twelve years...she just acted bipolar on drugs) and she wouldn't take her Depakote once she got out. She also made some shady "friends" in the hospital. It did not help her. A person can not get an accurate mental health diagnosis until the person is many months clean. Who doesn't seem mood crazy on drugs????

I used to think what if I gave my daughter money.for something and she spent it on cocaine and died on it from the drugs she bought from MY money???? I would have felt an increased level of grief and guilt forever.

Don't give himoney. If you want to pay his rent, pay directly to landlord. If you want to buy him food buy and deliver. If he wants psychiatric drugs, go to the pharmacy and purchase them and deliver them.

I know psychiatric medications can be expensive, but $400 a month? Sounds bogus to me. Do you know what he is supposedly taking?

I am so very sorry, but I don't feel he is telling you the truth. Please don't give him money. Ever.

More hugs.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Has he looked into country mental health resources? In Northern WI, before my VA pension and later SSDI came in, i was able to get MH health care and basic medications through Oneida county MH services. I was limited in what medications I could get as I was getting samples, but could get a couple of choices of MS and mood stabilizers.

Once my VA pension came through, VA medical ins, County MH accepted what they would pay for care, and what drugs I could get through VA medications by mail were free. The ones I couldn't were provided by the county, limited as mentioned above.

Down here in Milwaukee County, I still use county services, and VA for my medications. Private psychiatrists don't take private ins, or if they do, don't take Medicare and VA. I can't afford to pay out of pocket for psychiatrist visits, even with my pensions.
Have him check into county resources.

by the way, as a completely indigent WI resident, I was unable to get medicaid because I was single and had no children. Funding was not available.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When was it, in your case, SWOT? In my case it was in 2004. Badgercare was the only thing they told me I had a hope of getting and that depended on funding as I was at the bottom of the heap. No funding, naturally.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It was 14 years ago. I had badgercare. I did have kids then but they grew up and left and I still kept it until last year.
I think having kids is what made it possible for you to get it, as you applied about the same time I did, and I was told I was ineligible due to not having kids. Why you were able to keep it after the kids moved on, I don't know, but good for you.

I had some trouble getting in with-county mental health care until I called the county Mental Health Hotline and said, I can't get mental health care and my mind is trying to kill me!"

They had me in at a psychiatrist the next AM evaluated, tested, etc., and signed up.

susiestar

Roll With It
tired mama, your son is lying to you. It is possible his medications cost that much. I highly doubt that he is going to take them. Every single thing you tell us about him sounds exactly like so many other drug addicted difficult children that drive their parents here over the years.

I honestly think there is some sort of handbook that addicts pass around with what to tell parents to get money out of them. Addicts ALL end up saying the same dang things over and over. Maybe the drugs hook them up to a hive mind and they share one brain between them, who knows. All I know is that your son sounds so much like so many other addicts that it isn't funny. Not one tiny bit.

Please don't give him that money. It is a LOT of money and he has already spent a ton of your money. He won't ever help you when you retire. He has been an addict for a long time. Especially if he didn't stop drinking alcohol and smoking pot when he "kicked" meth the first time he was addicted to it. I am sorry to tell you that, but it is reality.

He needs to be left to figure out how to fund his addiction by himself. He just does. I know it is very hard. Sometimes you will have to give him things like a hot meal or a warm coat because your heart matters in all of this also.

If he needs medications, he can get them. If nothing else, many drug companies will give them away for free or almost nothing. This is for the newer medications. You just have to look the medication up online and sign up for the savings program. It is super easy most of the time. Or else the doctor can help you sign up.

AppleCori

Look online to find the guidelines for receiving Medicaid in the state your son is in. He may qualify.

All states have a state insurance program, which may be different and separate from Medicaid. He could qualify for that if unable to get Medicaid. Wouldn’t hurt to apply.

There are sometimes emergency temporary helps through the state, even if not permanent. If he doesn’t qualify for either Medicaid or state insurance, ask them what options there are for someone with mental health problems and in need of medications.

Drug companies have programs that, if you qualify, will allow someone to get low or no-cost prescriptions.

I would contact the hospital your son was in to see if they know of any programs to get him the medications he needs.

Contact local government run mental health agency. They will probably have a lot of info on this, since they presumably deal with this on an ongoing basis with many indigent adults. I would make this my first call.

His doctor/psychiatrist should have info. on how to get scrips for patients without insurance.

Pharmacists usually know of ways to get medications through programs we may not know about. They may also have coupons or rebates for certain medications. My daughter just got a coupon for a years worth of free medication for one scrip that is expensive, even with her insurance.

Generics are available for many drugs and are lower cost.

If your son will cooperate, I believe he will be able to get his needed medications at low or no cost.

I wouldn’t give up, but I think there is a better way to obtain the medications other than you spending $400 dollars per month from your savings.