Doesn't happen often opportunity - WWYD

mum2JK&TH

husband and I are having a hard time coming up with what would be the right choice, thought I'd see what you guys thought.

I received a phone call last night from the parents of easy child's riding friend. She is an older friend who is preparing herself for college and is having a hard time continuing her riding. easy child stopped riding about a month ago after having a bad experience with her coaches. This friend owns her own horse and last year easy child rode this horse whenever the friend was away (several times).
The parents called to offer easy child the horse, for free. :faint: easy child loves this horse, he is perfect for her.

Here's the problem. Since easy child has been out of riding, we have all enjoyed the extra money. It has been many years where we have had to watch our pennies, now that is not an issue. She has started cheerleading and is enjoying it (although she still asks if she can still ride). Time obviously would be less, we would be back to riding at least 2-3 times a week. Now this is an animal that I could actually learn how to ride on, which is something I have wanted to do. husband and I both know that if we told her about this opportunity (she doesn't know yet) she would be all over it. It's an opportunity of a lifetime, yet we can't seem to make a decision.

So I ask you friends, what would you do?

crazymama30

Can you afford the horse, and if you can, if you have to sacrifice some things to have the horse are you willing? How badly do you want to learn to ride?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Can you afford the horse? Feeding, stabling, vet bills?

If you can fit it into your budget, and it's something both you and easy child will get enjoyment out of, why not??

Back in my teens I had the opportunity to become a jockey. No expense on the part of my parents. The man who wanted me to jockey for him would pay for everything, including the training. My Mom refused his offer without even consulting me. (I was 16) I still resent her for it. It was the opportunity of a lifetime, and I'd have loved every min of it.

Hugs

mum2JK&TH

We can afford it financially, it would just take some away from the extras that we have or get to do. husband would like to add to our savings, which is not tons but there is some there, and this money would have gone to that. As for me riding, the world wouldn't end if I didn't get to learn how to ride. I could always take lessons on something else. It is more this animal is as safe as safe gets, he's a great horse.

busywend

Perhaps there is a stable you could 'gift' it to that would allow you access to ride the horse for free?

I do not think I would turn it down. The kids are only young once. Opportunities of a lifetime only come once. If she gets this opportunity again in 10 years chances are she will not be able to do it.

nvts

Hi! I would have cut off my left arm for this type of opportunity. I worked in a stable so that I could get free rides. It teaches you a lot about responsibility.

You could also make an agreement with her that she would have to expect a lot of the extras to not be available once you guys took on the expense. Birthdays and holidays would have to become "leaner" due to the extra financial output going on.

Good luck with this...she could learn a lot!

Beth

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I would go for it...after a lengthy family discussion. I think I'd point out that having the horse and covering its expenses would mean giving up some other extras, say meals out, etc.

I think it could wind up being an excellent experience for everyone in the family.