Dog folks- I have a question

donna723

Fran, I'm glad Lizzie is feeling better.

Witz, what kind of shampoo did they give you for the yeast infections on the skin? Ragan has lots of allergies and has a real problem with that in the summer. They gave me one kind of shampoo for her but it was so strong it seemed to irritate her skin even more.

witzend

We got Malaseb for (miconazole nitrate) for yeast infections, and Oxydex (Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5%) for folliculitis.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The Oxybenz can be real irritating to a sensitive dog's skin. I actually have the groomer use a hypo allergenic oatmeal shampoo. That seems to work fine so long as it is thoroughly rinsed out.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, horses have MUCH more sensitive skin than we humans do. I'd be leery of a shampoo for dogs that says it can also be used on horses.

I'd tend to go for a product specifically made for equines. That said, old fashioned Listerine makes a good wash for seborrhea in horses, but I wouldn't use it on a dog or cat. Listerine is actually poisonous to cats as it contains thymol which used to be thyme extract, but now is made of coal tar.

Coal tar products are phenols and those are very dangerous for cats.

Like I said, as a former groomer, I've found that the number cause if itchy, flaky skin in dogs washed at home, is that they aren't rinsed properly. It's just like your scalp itching if you don't get your shampoo rinsed properly.