Dog grooming question

klmno

Can I use a trimmer made for a person on a dog? I found the dog trimmer I had bought a couple of years ago but had never used. I can't find any guards to adjust length with it. I'm wondering if I can use difficult child's trimmer and large guard on my male- even if it means getting difficult child another one.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You can use a people trimmer on a dog, but you'll kill your blade<s> and possibly the drive motor as well. Dog hair has a different texture than human hair and the cutting part of the blade (the back part with no 'teeth' on it) is made at a different angle.

The higher end clippers they use at salons for humans can be used on dogs provided you get appropriate blades for them, and of course, 'combs'

klmno

Ok, thanks! My male's hair has gotten long and thick and has some matts in it. I'm going to try to get them by scissor cutting but he's hot- even in the house with AC and I fell bad for him. I can't afford the grooming bill right now. I'm just looking at mostly getting certain areas with the trimmer- around the tail and so forth. I can get most of it off with scissors, I think.

My female's hair is straighter and not as thick- it's more silky. I can always take care of her with scissors. (These are scissors meant for hair.) The nails- I can do but they only let me do a couple at a time so it takes a while to catch up on them.

I use a mat rake for the little matted areas that come up. Also, on the nails, after cutting them, you can smooth them out with a file for acrylic nails. I hate the sharp edges the nail clippers leave behind!

muttmeister

I don't think I ever used human clippers on a dog but I did use the dog clippers to cut difficult children' hair a few times when they were little. The dogs were much easier to groom than the kids.:tongue:

klmno

LOL, MM! I'm going to try this. I don't think difficult child used the larger balde/guard on his hair before and that's the one I want to use. But really, I am more worried about the dog's comfort right now than I am about how difficult child wants his hair cut or how his hair will look after coming home.

susiestar

Roll With It
I never knew that there were differences between dog clippers and people clippers. The rare times I have had to trim a dog I just used the same clippers I use on the boys. My boys have such thick, coarse almost wiry hair that I have never noticed a difference other than it is easier to get a dog to sit still.

Learn something new every day, don'tcha?

KTMom91

Yet another benefit to having a Jack Russell...they don't need to be trimmed. Of course, Bud sheds so much I could probably build another dog with all the fur scattered throughout my house.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
LOL Mary....funny.

My boys used the horse clippers to cut their hair all thru high school....don't think we've ever owned "people clippers"...

klmno

I mentioned to difficult child that I needed to either find the accessories that go with the dog's trimmer (so they don't get shaved to the bone) or use his trimmer. He said "oh, no problem- he'd share". :)