Dog / vet

K

Kjs

I had such a busy week last week. In addition to all the dr. appointments, work and baseball, my 6 year old lab, Chloe had to go to emergency vet on Friday. We have been taking the dogs swimming in the local Lakes and ponds daily for a few weeks. Chloe was never a swimmer, but I think she thought she was swimming. Lol. She would walk up to her chest with her head underwater. But, the puppy swims. So, Now Chloe swims. Took her to a pond Thursday evening. Friday morning she was panting real hard and biting on her back end. After moving all her thick fur around I found a spot that was puffy, had scabbed over but she had chewed that off and now was raw. I started cutting the fur to get a closer look, thinking maybe a tick. The raw, raised red bumps were all over. I called vet and of course they were filled up, but brought her to the emergency vet as she was panting and whinning. They originally thought some type of allergy. Then took her in the back to clean her up. I could hear her yelping. She came back and they said her anal glands were full. What??? never heard of that. They explained it...yuk! So, they think she was so uncomfortable that she started biting as far back as she could reach. They shaved a portion of her behind area, diameter about 6" of all sores. Now she is on antibiotics for infection, steroids for inflamation, and her thyroid medication. On a good note, she lost about 10 pounds since beginning her thyroid medications. 10 more pounds to go.
So, that was an unexpected vet bill. Anyone hear of such a thing? I forgot to ask, but does this continue to happen? Do these glands need to be drained often? How do you know?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I have heard of this, but never had my dog experience it. I think the biggest clue that there is a problem is when the dog "scoots" his backside on the floor, usually a carpet I hear, because of the discomfort. He/She is trying to scratch the irritation.....Not a fun thing, but I would check with your vets' office (via phone) about what to do.....Sorry I can't give you more help.....

meowbunny

Hopefully, they showed you how to clean the glands. I clean my dog's glands every time he gets a bath. It is a pretty common problem.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This is common with basset's, also most hounds. If chloe is over weight it might be more difficult for her to clean them herself. I know my dog Molly has that problem.

I don't know how to clean them (nor do I want to) but I have the groomer do the dogs glands every time they're bathed. Costs me 5 bucks and I don't have to do it or smell it. (worse than skunk in my opinion)

Sue C

Yes, my (now deceased) shihtzu had his anal glands full once. Very gross when the vet took care of it. The vet told us the groomer was to keep his :censored2: shaved in a large area around his bottom so it would stay clean when he went potty. It never happened again after that. (but the vet did show husband what to do in case they did get full--yuck)

Sue

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Yup, been there done that. husband & I had a dog when we lived in Seattle that went in monthly for her anal glands. We were just glad to be DINKS at the time - wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise.

The vet offered to teach us - I personally declined to learn that little bit of dog care. :hammer: :smile: :surprise:

witzend

WE have Bubba's expressed once or twice a year at the vet. When they start skooching their :censored2: around, it's time.

K

Kjs

I learn so much here. LOL. After they told me what they had to do...I have no interest in it. I did not know groomers did it. But Chloe is such a sissy, she starts shaking all over when we pull into the parking lot of the vet. Don't think I could ever get her into a groomer!

hearthope

The anal glands are on either side of the rectum. You simply apply pressure at 9:00 and 3:00 and if there is no problem with them they will express. This is done while the dog is in the tub and the fluid can quickly be washed off. It is the worse smell you could imagine and you want to wash it away asap.

Large breeds usually express them on their own when passing feces, it is an "indentification" marker that all dogs have. This is the reason your dog smells where another dog has gone.

Each dog is different and once you have a problem with the glands they need to be checked mthly so they don't become infected again.

You can express them, your vet or groomer, worse case you can have them removed.

sameold sameold

My daschund needs his anal glands cleaned about every 6-8 wks, husband learned how to do it, my doggie was getting to stressed going to the vet every time. It is a smelly job.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I like cats. </div></div>

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You also need to feed a diet that produces a good, firm stool. That will help express the glands on the way out.

Oh, BBK? Guess what. Cats also have the glands in the same location and they can, though its more unusual, become impacted just like in dogs.

witzend

If you want to keep it clean even in the bath, in the hand you are holding up the tail with, hold a paper towel between your fingers and let it drape behind the hand you are expressing the glands with. That way anything that sprays will go onto the towel and not the wall. EWWW!

If they get impacted, it can be holding in staph or yeast infection and be a real problem. Then it can spread to their skin by chewing, from their mouths to their feet, from their feet to their ears. You really don't want to deal with that.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can say conclusively, having had a show cat get frightened on the judging table and 'blow its anals', that a cat's 'output' can be smelt from at least thirty feet away!

Luckily, cats VERY rarely have trouble with impactions unless they are very obese or very old and arthritic, both of which conditions make it difficult for them to 'assume the proper position' to defecate which empties the glands. The anal gland secretions are why cat feces smell so vile compared to dogs'.

We're all familiar with cats marking with urine but cats also mark with feces. In fact, if you have multiple cats and keep an eye on the litterpan, you can tell which cat is dominant quite easily: that's the one which DOESN'T bury its feces.

It's good that cats don't usually get impacted as trying to express the glands on a cat, while done the same way as on a dog, is taking your life in your hands.

toK (a lot of groomers are now refusing to express the glands as it can be considered a 'veterinary procedure' and there is a risk of rupturing the gland if done improperly)

meowbunny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoingNorth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're all familiar with cats marking with urine but cats also mark with feces. In fact, if you have multiple cats and keep an eye on the litterpan, you can tell which cat is dominant quite easily: that's the one which DOESN'T bury its feces.</div></div>

Have a very confused household here. The cats seem to take turns not burying their feces but I didn't know it was a sign of top kitty status. And, yes, the non-burier is the top kitty THAT day. Since my three are such different sizes, it is easy to tell which cat owns what litter mess. :smile: