dog vs. husband

Well - my daughter that has just gotten married said something about their dog just seems not to like her hubby. The dog is a female and they also have a male dog - both are springer spaniels. They have raised them together and they still are basically puppies. Well her hubby is aggressive towards the female dog when she disobeys. So the dog bares her teeth and tries to bite him. My daughter was talking to me about it and has talked to a vet about it. She says she is afraid he would hurt the dog if it bit him! I think he is trying to control the dog. The dog gets on the sofa - always has. They stay in their kennel during the day. Well they got new pillows for the sofa - the dog not knowing they were new pillows jumps on the sofa and tries to get in her spot - he hollers at her and hits her with a paper, etc. She practically bites him. Also he goes after her even when she runs under the bed to hide from him? do you see a problem here? I go over there to keep the dogs a lot - the dog has never been that way to me nor my daughter.

TerryJ2

Yeah. Basic adjustment issues.
All her hubby has to do is say "Off!" and pat the floor, say "Good doggie!" when she gets off, and offer the dog a treat on the floor.
Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Oh, a leash would be a good idea, to keep his hands away from her teeth. He needs to learn to pull firmly but not be mean and flip the dog head over heels off the couch.
Good luck!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
All respectable trainers and dog owners know that the worst way to train a dog is by swatting it with the paper. Ugh - not liking sister in law right now....

Everything Terry said is true. He needs to be a little bit more understand, reward her when she behaves and repeat it over and over again until she gets it. No need to be hitting the dog or making her fear him or feel threatened by him.

Does his treatment of the dog bother your daughter? Has she offered him some alternative solutions? They should both be consistent with both dogs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Call me old -

I would have swatted him with a newspaper, put him out on the back porch and went to bed with my dog.

There are definitely jealousy issues going on here - I would enroll hubby and dog in training classes. Let daughter go along or take the other dog. If she tries to bite him there (the dog not daughter) then the trainer will address it and offer viable solutions for all.

They can learn to like each other but my guess would be he's a man - she growled at him - in his mind HE is the leader and she's showing him disrespect so he figures the Daily Bugle will solve it. In a dog pack - the lead dog would not hit the insubordinate with a newspaper. Sometimes dogs are smarter than we think -

Have you daughter tape a few pebbles in an empty Coke can and when she growls at her husband - tell her to SHAKE and THROW the can in the direction of the dog and yell a FIRM NO - eventually husband can do this but to begin with she sees your daughter as the leader of her pack. This "male" has no right to be there. SOmeone forgot to have the Melding families conversation with her.

Hugs
STar

nvts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Loan_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me old -

I would have swatted him with a newspaper, put him out on the back porch and went to bed with my dog.

</div></div>

Perfect!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nvts</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Loan_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me old -

</div></div>

Perfect!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: </div></div>

You got me -- I read the first part and thought huh?! then read "with my dog" and the light came on. Good one!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good one Star! :rofl: And just what I was thinking.

Poor dog. No one told HER that the rules suddenly have changed. Not only is she suddenly not allowed in her fav spot, this MAN is yelling and swatting her with a newspaper! The utter NERVE.

Molly has always been allowed on the furniture. When we got our new sofa I didn't really want her up there. (not at those prices!) We tried the can, nope. We tried No and ordering her down. Soon as our backs were turned there she was again. So I tried my friends trick of turning the cushions up so she had no where to sit. Worked long enough for Molly to figure out how to put them back down again. lol

I was frustrated, and Molly's feelings were seriously hurt.

So we compromised. Molly, and other pets are still allowed on the furniture. I bought some thick throws and they cover the cushions and protect from nails. Works great. And everyone is happy. :smile:

K

Kjs

I saw the title of this post and said to myself..I'Learning Disability (LD) take my dog hands down..Then read the post.

My second dog (9months) is a springer spaniel/lab mix. She is very affectionate. Too much so. Must always be touching you, laying down next to you. Won't go outside unless you go. Cries when you leave the room. Not aggressive to anyone or any other dog.
Maybe if her husband shows some loving comfort, hugs, good dog...she might respond better.

busywend

What? Is the dog supposed to read his mind about what he wants and does not want? Geesh - he is impatient. He needs to re-teach the dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kjs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the title of this post and said to myself..I'Learning Disability (LD) take my dog hands down</div></div>

:rofl:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: busywend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What? Is the dog supposed to read his mind about what he wants and does not want? Geesh - he is impatient. He needs to re-teach the dog.</div></div>
But first, someone needs to re-teach HIM.

Susan, you might want to have a serious talk with your daughter. Until and unless her darling husband is willing to train the dog nicely...you might want to suggest holding off on the grandkids...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kjs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the title of this post and said to myself..I'Learning Disability (LD) take my dog hands down..Then read the post.</div></div>

Seriously!

We place throws over the furniture. I recently bought some SureFit stretch covers for my ottomon and wing chair - they are lovely and can be washed in my machine. We also put the couch cushions against the top back of the couch because one of our pups is so small she wants to get up high to nap (but it crushes the back pillows so we don't let her). I mean, if the dog is used to getting on the couch - I don't see what his beef is. If it were my house, I'd tell husband tough poop.

KFld

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Loan_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call me old -

Hugs
STar </div></div>

:rofl:

TerryJ2

Susan, you might want to have a serious talk with your daughter. Until and unless her darling husband is willing to train the dog nicely...you might want to suggest holding off on the grandkids...

Oooh, good point!

Steely

Uh, yea.........this man sounds like he has some anger mgmt issues. Jealous over a dog? daughter is afraid husband is going to hurt the dog? He runs after it when it is hiding under the bed??? Yikes!

At this point I would be more worried about them not procreating, than the dog. All I can see is warning lights. Also I might talk to your daughter about other anger issues he may have, and make sure she is OK, as well as the dog.

Sorry to be so blunt........I have just lived through too many scenarios like this one, that causes me to be pointed into the warning category for this man.

Obviously! I agree totally! I am trying not to get in the middle but I would have swatted him too. I laughed out loud when I saw that post. :rofl:How can they expect to have children when he cant treat the dog right!!!!! Maybe I am jumping the gun. The male ego is at stake here. He has the biggest ego in the world. He is never wrong and should have been a lawyer. If my easy child daughter is happy that is all I care about but I think swatting him would have been good!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: She said she was worried that if the dog bit him he would throw it against the wall! I said if he does you call me - and then I asked her what she would do - it wouldnt take me long!!!!!!! :nonono:

I would love to know about the SureFit slipcovers. I have a slipcover sofa and an ottaman that needs to be recovered! how did you order them? Tell me about it. thanks

donna723

Sheeesh - He really ISN'T a "dog person", is he! He doesn't even have a clue! You can't just suddenly change the rules and expect the dog to understand and comply! And then when the dog doesn't understand, he smacks him with a newspaper to make the dog afraid of him to get him to comply with the new rules! It won't happen overnight. You can't expect it to! This method of "discipline" doesn't work with a child, and it doesn't work with a dog either!
:cool-dog:
Using proper training methods (praise and rewards for good behavior vs. punishment for bad behavior) the dog could eventually be taught to respect the new rules. Dogs want to please their owners. But hitting the dog needs to stop IMMEDIATELY! What people do by hitting a dog is to create FEAR AGGRESSION in the dog that can cause lifelong problems. Eventually the dog will bite him or someone else, out of fear. ANY dog will react this way if abused and afraid long enough. Then it will escalate, the dog will be seen as a "biter" and eventually will end up being put down or in a shelter, like it was the dogs fault! Once they learn to react to fear with aggression, it is an extremely difficult behavior to overcome.

I would suggest a visit to the vet for a referral to a good trainer or dog training classes - not so much for the dog as for the husband, so he can learn how dogs think and react and how to properly train him to behave the way you want him to. Watch "The Dog Whisperer" whenever it's on! Get some dog training books! The larger pet store chains offer training classes too.

Personally, the way he's reacting to the dog is a big "red flag", characterwise ... just MHO. In my experience, people who are so short-sighted and clueless as to demand instant obedience from a pet, react with anger and use fear and hitting to get them to comply ... these people are usually the same way with a child! Sadly, I've SEEN it! Lots of times!

Thanks Donna - My thoughts exactly but since it is my new son in law how do I handle it with my daugher without seeming like I am dissing on him - heaven forbid. I hope he doesnt use any of those tactics on her!!!!!! I called her today but got voice mail. I left a message but she didnt call back. I dont want to seem aggravating but it is so hard to worry but not to over step your bounds. My daughter would let me know when I overstepped my bounds. Since she mentioned it to me - it is something that probably bothers her. She has always loved animals - she got the female dog last year for Christmas. The female is a lot more hyper than the male - also she is on her "period". they need to get her fixed but it still gives him no right to make her afraid of him and then blame it on the dog. It makes me furious but I cant just be upset at him - I am afraid she will defend him. So far she hasnt. We will see.

TerryJ2

If you phrase it carefully, something about helping him understand dog behavior. I dunno ...
Good luck!