Doggy Update

tracy551

Thanks for all the input on my boxer. I was able to talk to my vet and she did give me a reduced rate on the neutering. She's really great. I hope it helps. I couldn't give up on him just like I haven't given up on difficult child. He just like one of my kids. I gotta try, getting rid of him right off is not always the best answer.
Thanks again all.

Sunlight

I love boxers. when I grew up I had one for my pet from age 3 to 17. yep she lived 14 yrs. still want another one. one day when I get to be an old lady and can stay home long enough to walk one. lol

Steely

:thumb:
I will be wishing you all the luck!!!! I hope, beyond, hope that things will work out!
Also look into what your local trainers do for dog aggression, and maybe contact you local chapter of rescue boxer orgs, for advice. There are a lot of people out there that are willing to do anything to help a dog succeed.

witzend

If you have cable tv, and get the National Geographic Channel, I would encourage you to catch a couple of episodes of "The Dog Whisperer". You will get some really good ideas about dealing with aggression. It's a common problem that they deal with a lot.

One of the things that we learned was how to look at our dog as a dog instead of a human. Getting on our laps and kissing us isn't actually getting on our laps and kissing us. It's a sign of dominance, and shouldn't be tolerated in a dog that is acting out aggressively. There are ways to be affectionate with your dog that don't give them so much empowerment.

Good luck!

Star*

call 911........call 911

From what I've read he's not dog social at all. I would start with some obedience classes after neutering. After the male hormones course through the body of a male dog you do have a chance of the neutering making him less aggressive. Don't bank on it and get him enrolled somewhere in obedience classes where he will be around other dogs, people, and to see that YOU ARE indeed "pack" leader. Currently your dog thinks he runs the show.

Also 90% of how you approach a dog is attitude. You have to be putting out vibes that YOU are in control, no yelling, no raising your voice. Think calm, guide well, train often.

Good luck