Don't ever 'lend' out your debit card!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I had no cash and I told daughter I'd pay for her ferry across to LI from CT so she could visit her dad (and then he pays for the returning trip. daughter also had worked for me in my office, so I was paying her for that as well.

So, I gave her my debit card for an account I only keep open for an auto withdrawal for one bill so there's usually a little bit of extra money in there - not much, but some. I told her to take out $80 ($30 pay and $50 ferry payment). Well, I later learned that she took out $100!! And then I forgot to get my card back for another day and when I went on line this morning to check my account, I learned that she took out another $40! I went into her wallet, got my card and told her this morning that she now owed me $60.

How stupid am I?

And what nerve!! Jeesh!

meowbunny

Think this is a lesson every parent learns the hard way. Mine was to the tune of $3,500 when she was 15. She had so much fun returning all of the stuff she bought. It was even more fun getting the stuff from her "friends." Of course, what she couldn't get back or return caused a major meltdown when I started selling items in her room to pay the remainder of the bill.

F

flutterbee

This is easy child, right?

Hmmmm....I'd be taking back $40 worth of Christmas gifts.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think I would get a pre paid visa - and every time she worked for me I would add $$ to her visa card. When she wanted $$ for the ferry I would transfer THAT to HER visa.

No more handing my bank card out.

She may even get the idea that once the money is spent the visa no longer works - Okay don't throw snow - one can only HOPE!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jo, I know our kids don't understand limitations, but does she realize that what she did is illegal? It doesn't matter if you are family or a stranger, she stole from you.

I would drive that point home to her....then I would drive to the bank and change the PIN on that card.

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I like the prepaid Visa idea.

And I'd go and change the pin to that card just to be safe.

I can honestly say I've never lent out my debit card. I'd have to actually HAVE one to lend it out. :rofl:

Yep. husband cured me of those sorts of things way back when bank cards first came out.